PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian and Monk Fighting Styles [PEACH]

Amechra
2020-03-09, 06:25 AM
So, one of the things that annoys me about the Barbarian and the Monk is that they're the only classes that have Extra Attack by default while also not having a Fighting Style. On top of that, Unarmored Defense isn't really a class feature - it's basically an armor proficiency. Heck, in the Monk's case, it's essentially just a way to bring the Monk up to par with every other class, AC-wise - it's not like they have the option to pick up a better armor proficiency through multiclassing. So why not kill two birds with one stone?

• The Barbarian and the Monk select a single Fighting Style at 1st level.
• Barbarians may choose Great Weapon Fighting, Thrown Weapon Fighting (Class Features UA), or Two-Weapon Fighting.
• Monks may choose Archery, Blind Fighting (Class Features UA), or Dueling.

I kinda wanted to give Monks Unarmed Fighting (also from the class features UA), but that would practically be an auto-pick. As for getting them at 1st level... I know that that's the Fighter's special "thing", but I think I can get away with it if I only give them two Fighting Styles to pick from (three with the Class Features UA).

Thoughts?

Yakk
2020-03-09, 08:39 AM
Monk "Martial Arts" is the TWF style; it gives you a dex-based 1d4+dex bonus action attack. It can be paired with a 1d8+dex other weapon (quarterstaff in 2 hands).

Barbarian "fighting style" is Rage and Rage Damage. The expected number of encounters/day is low enough at level 1 that you can rage in all of them. You can either sword+board to match duelist, or go two-handed and outperform the two-handed fighting style.

The "fighting styles" are the "fighter culture" warrior training. Monks and Barbarians are alternative culture warriors, they follow a different path.

Now, stacking both wouldn't break the game. It might even reduce the luster of the Barbarian+Fighter trivial charop (totem barbarian 3-9, champion 11-17, or champion 3-4, barbarian 16-17) because the first fighter level doesn't give as much.

nickl_2000
2020-03-09, 09:39 AM
If you are open to including UA in the fighting styles I think that thrown weapon fighting make a whole lot more sense than archery on a base monk.

Thrown Weapon Fighting
You can draw a weapon that has the thrown property as part of the attack you make with the weapon.
In addition, when you hit with a ranged attack using a thrown weapon, you gain a +1 bonus to the damage roll.

Monks don't have proficiency on bows and crossbows by default, but they do have darts and daggers. So, it make a whole lot more sense. Then, if you want to give Kensai an option to trade fighting styles at level 3 with archery being an additional option that seems fine with me.

Now, I'm not convinced that this really is necessary and wouldn't do it in my game. But if you are then go for it and give it a shot. Also, I would watch for multi-classing dips. A 1 level dip into monk gives more than it used to now and is something worth considering for druids and clerics when it wasn't before. However, that is always a danger

sandmote
2020-03-09, 01:48 PM
Now, I'm not convinced that this really is necessary and wouldn't do it in my game. But if you are then go for it and give it a shot. Also, I would watch for multi-classing dips. A 1 level dip into monk gives more than it used to now and is something worth considering for druids and clerics when it wasn't before. However, that is always a danger

Druid dip is still useful for the extra AC. You want wisdom already, and it can stack with your wildshape:

You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so.

For this homebrew... yeah, fighting styles are one effect, and the barbarian has its own features. The Barbarian's Unarmored defense doesn't make them any more mad. The Monk's replaces armor (needing an extra stat) but they also get Two Weapon Fighting at 1st level anyway.

Bannan_mantis
2020-03-12, 12:45 AM
I will say honestly they both work fine power wise so this has the problem of buffing them when honestly they don't really need it. This said if you wanna give them something like a fighting style I don't believe just giving them the fighter's version is good, I personally like how barbarians gain their damage from things like rage, reckless attack and brutal critical which all feel different to the way the fighter gets their damage up via fighting styles, ASIs and feats. Giving them the same thing just lessens the difference which then makes both classes a little less unique (same for monks.) So for this if you wanna give them fighting styles make it really different to regular fighter's fighting style rather than a direct copy.