PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Moonswyft

Neftren
2007-10-22, 08:51 PM
Loosely based off the Shadowswyft. I will add more as I go along...

Moonswyft have the following racial abilities and characteristics.

• +4 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution. Moonswyfts are deft, but are frail and not very strong physically.
• Outsider: Moonswyfts are native to the Astral Plane, and thus have the outsider type. They gain the extraplanar subtype when not on the Astral Plane. They are not affected by spells or effects that effect only humanoids.
• Medium: As medium creatures, Moonswyfts have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• A Moonswyft's base land speed is 40 feet, and may traverse at 40 feet on any and all terrain, except for pure void. Air does not count as a terrain, but this ability does grant the ability to traverse water, and climb vertical terrain effortlessly. This ability does not grant flight, or in any way allow the Moonswyft to fly.
• Low-Light Vision (Four times as good as a Human)
• Skills: Moonswyfts have a +2 bonus to Hide, Move Silently and Tumble Checks.
• Turn Ethereal (Su). Once per day as a free action, a Moonswyft may enter the Ethereal Plane for 10 minutes. Doing so will tire the Moonswyft and he will be fatigued until the end of the day. If the Moonswyft is already fatigued, he will instead become exhausted, and take 10 points of nonlethal damage.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Shadowswyft. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Infernal, Celestial, Draconic.
• Favored Class:
• Level Adjustment +2

Anyway, I have a few more ideas to throw out there, but what do you guys think so far...?

EvilElitest
2007-10-22, 10:01 PM
Really needs more fluff, and Shadow swyft sounds familer, who are they?
from,
EE

JackMage666
2007-10-22, 10:12 PM
• A Moonswyft's base land speed is 40 feet, and may traverse at 40 feet on any and all terrain, except for pure void.

What exactly does this mean? Does it allow him to climb walls freely, as Spider Walk, since Vertical is a terrain type after all...

Neftren
2007-10-22, 10:16 PM
Really needs more fluff, and Shadow swyft sounds familer, who are they?
from,
EE

Planar Handbook.

To JackMage:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Which might merit another addition to LA, but when I thought about it, there isn't that much variety in terrain in my campaign.

JackMage666
2007-10-22, 10:33 PM
Planar Handbook.

To JackMage:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Which might merit another addition to LA, but when I thought about it, there isn't that much variety in terrain in my campaign.

Yeah, since that basicaly allows them to move.... Other than burrow, clever person coud easily describe air as a terrain, giving it Fly, Climb, and the Water Walking spell at all times if they wish.

Neftren
2007-10-22, 10:42 PM
Basically, what I meant was... you know the Step of Wind Stance from ToB? Think like that, but it lets them climb without difficulty, and walk across water, since water is a valid terrain. Air is...well air. It's not a terrain. Perhaps if I add:

This ability does not allow you to fly?

JackMage666
2007-10-22, 10:48 PM
Either way, it's worth another +1 LA, since it's the power of class features, feats, and spells all put together.

Neftren
2007-10-22, 10:53 PM
Gotcha. Fluff will come tomorrow, and a few more cool abilities to bump this to LA +3, which is what I was originally intending to go for. Any ability suggestions?

DracoDei
2007-10-23, 04:45 AM
Almost certainly want to put in the standard boiler-plate clause about being able to be Raised and Resurrected as per normal despite being outsiders.

olelia
2007-10-23, 07:00 AM
Turn Ethereal (Su). Once per day, a Moonswyft may enter the Ethereal Plane at will, for 10 minutes.

Isn't this self contradictory? Think you meant once per day as a move, free, standard action

Dullyanna
2007-10-23, 07:41 AM
Almost certainly want to put in the standard boiler-plate clause about being able to be Raised and Resurrected as per normal despite being outsiders.

Actually, since they explicitly aren't native outsiders, they don't enjoy low class revifications. It's part of the reason that a few planar races don't have a level adjustment, i.e. spikers and neraphim.

@Olelia: I think the OP meant that the ability lasts for ten minutes.

Neftren
2007-10-23, 09:21 AM
at will = free action...?

Yeah, it only lasts 10 minutes. I'm thinking of throwing maybe an improved health regeneration in moonlight/starlight...

olelia
2007-10-23, 09:33 AM
at will = free action...?

Yeah, it only lasts 10 minutes. I'm thinking of throwing maybe an improved health regeneration in moonlight/starlight...

An action which is available "at will" has no limit to the number of times per day it can be used, save that it can only be used once per round. Whatever action or other option it is, it normally takes as long to use as it otherwise would, so a spell-like ability which corresponds to a spell with a casting time of "one action" still takes one standard action.

AmberVael
2007-10-23, 09:35 AM
I think Oelia was pointing out that he said:
"Once per day" and "At will."

^: Simu'd...

Neftren
2007-10-23, 09:36 AM
L
• Turn Ethereal (Su). Once per day, a Moonswyft may enter the Ethereal Plane at will, for 10 minutes. Doing so will tire the Moonswyft and he will be fatigued for the end of the day. If the Moonswyft is already fatigued, he will instead become exhausted, and take 10 points of nonlethal damage.

Read carefully. Would you rather I specify it as a Free Action?

AmberVael
2007-10-23, 09:46 AM
That would be the correct terminology. "At will" refers to "infinite times per day."

Neftren
2007-10-23, 09:49 AM
Fixed. I'm at a loss for other abilities though... any suggestions?