PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making Riddick in 5e

ravenkith
2020-03-09, 09:12 AM
So, I've seen a few tries at making Riddick in 5E recently (on youtube), and to some degree, they've been successful, but limited to the obvious rogue/ranger mashups that I don't think actually do Riddick justice.

If we are going to do this, then we have to start with one question: What is it that Riddick does?

What have we seen him depicted as doing?

In answer to that, Riddick kicks a lot of ass, seems to be proficient in just about everything, and while he can be very, very stealthy, that seems like almost a secondary shtick for him by the time we're done with all four films. He's definitely tough, both mentally and physically, and seems to be excellent and at survival and improvisation, with great situational awareness and an understanding of how human beings tend to work and how to manipulate them.

Two of the scenes that comes to mind to illustrate how the Rogue (Sneak attack) model doesn't quite fit Riddick come from his one-on-one battles a) in the prison on Crematoria (It's a teacup, actually) and b) in his final confrontation with the Lord Marshall.

In the first battle, Riddick is clearly using improvised weapons, facing his foes out in the open, and somehow summoning enough offensive force to kill a man with a teacup in one blow by somehow shoving said tin tea cup through the guy's rib cage. Now some claim this is sneak attack at work, and state that Jack/Kiera is his triggering ally in this scene, and that's fair enough, but sneak attacks do not work with improvised weapons.

In his battle with the Lord Marshall, Riddick is using spiked gauntlets (imp weapons per the current ruleset, as they are not listed in the PHB weapon table), and exhibits some supernatural prowess, once again, this time by resisting the Lord Marshall's attempt to strip out his soul through what looks like sheer willpower. He takes a hell of a beating in the process. He eventually triumphs by first jamming his blade into the Lord Marshall's head and then kneeing him in the face as a finisher.

First of all, while Riddick clearly prefers knives of various kinds, he's pretty much capable of using whatever weapon he comes across. Guns, knives, swords, clubs, and yes, teacups and spiked gauntlets, he pretty much doesn't seem to care. He also seems to use whatever armor he feels like. He can be equally as deadly with ANY item. This argues AGAINST sneak dice, because you can only use sneak with finesse and ranged weapons. This means he flat out can't use sneak with a tea cup, for instance.

Second, there are his skills. He pretty clearly, in the most recent film, has the ability to detect poison (in the water), has basic medicine skills, has animal handling skills (although it's more...magical in its effect than the skill could really explain), survival skills, and then of course, there's the eyes.

Third, he seems to be really, really hard to kill.

So, let's start with the obvious: Riddick needs proficiency in all weapons and armor. He has GOT to have the ability to use improvised weapons effectively. He's also got to have two weapon fighting capabilities, and he's got to have stealth and eyes that see in the dark. He then has to (somehow) have the ability to do massive amounts of damage in a single hit. Then we have to add a litany of skills to his repertoire.

My initial pass at this character yields the following:

1st: Variant Human (Tavern Brawler Feat, Stealth skill), Paladin 1 - All weapons, all armor, Intimidation skill, Athletics skill, Lay on hands. Urban bounty hunter background gives deception, insight, thieves' tools, and the ear to the ground feature, which let's him be hooked into the criminal network.

2nd: Sorceror (Shadow) 1 - No proficiencies here, but he does pick up Eyes of the dark (120 ft darkvision!) and strength of the grave, which enables our Riddick to survive what would normally kill others (like any good main character in a movie/video game). Also picks up spell casting here, with the friends cantrip and the absorb elements and shield spells going a long way toward helping Riddick take those absurd beatings.

3rd: Paladin level 2 - Divine smite, people. It can be used with ANY melee weapon attack, including improvised weapons. Now you can start killing people with teacups :D You also get the defensive fighting style, making any armor just that little bit better for you, and paladin spells, which CAN include detect poison and disease, compelled duel, and Heroism - an ability that can really help make a hero in terms of being fearless and tough as balls.

4th-9th Level: Bard (Lore) - Here you get a lot more skills, including Perception, Investigation (Riddick is quick to figure things out), Animal Handling and Survival. You ALSO get Jack of all trades, meaning that even if you aren't proficient in something, you can fake it better than anyone else.

Cutting words lets you pull off Riddick one liners (all back of the bus and ish), making yourself tougher in the process, and Expertise in Athletics and perception are going to help you out a LOT. For your ASI you take Dual Wielder (yummy), and for your extra magical secrets I opted to take Haste and Counterspell.

Strictly speaking, counterspell is NOT something you see Riddick really do, but it is something that is utterly necessary to this build in DND: gotta be able to shut down those enemy casters and make them your bitch. Let's you pretend to be one step ahead the way Riddick always is :D

Bardic inspiration is for those scenes where Riddick gives his little speeches about if you don't keep up, Imma leave you behind, but then actually goes back and helps people - those moments are where they use the inspiration die to make their stamina checks and stuff (lol).

Of course, you get bardic spells as well. By 9th level, this build will have 4 1st lvl slots, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, and 2 4th. Any of these slots can be used to fuel Riddick's divine smite ability, letting him teacup someone to death fairly nicely. You only have one base attack per round at this point, but you have two weapon fighting to turn to here, letting you use your bonus action to get in a second attack whenever it is fitting. In addition, you can also pop haste, giving you up to three attacks a round in any combat where you need it. Keep in mind that these attacks are really only mechanisms for smite delivery. Using a d4 improvised weapon/gauntlet/whatever just doesn't matter, because your damage isn't coming from the weapon. You can also use your attacks and initiate grapples if you want to, which can allow you to get yourself a human shield, and or shove someone to the ground or keep them from getting away.

Then you add in the versatility of some of those bard spells - Cantrips definitely include Vicious Mockery - a very flavorful choice - and friendship. But you also, mechanically, want to take green flame blade with this build as well. At first level, Animal Friendship, off the bard list, makes too much damn sense to ignore. Feather fall, Longstrider, Invisibility, Silence, Hypnotic Pattern....all fit.

I went ahead and gave Riddick speak with animals and speak with plants as well, as he seems to get a lot of information out of his environment at times, more than can really be accounted for with just Investigation.

At this point, your build is pretty much fully on line. You can pretty much do anything you've seen Riddick do in other media - including falling off a cliff and surviving (lol), running way faster than others without really breaking a sweat, taming animals in an instant, getting people to listen to your proposals when they KNOW they should kill you right the eff away, and yes, murdering people with a teacup.

But then you can take things to the next level. Personally, a level 20 build, for me, would include 5 more levels of Paladin (go oathbreaker), and at least 4 more levels of Bard.

This would get you access to Extra Attack, Aura of Protection, and Aura of Hate from the paladin side, while giving you two more skills with expertise (stealth for sure) and two additional magical secrets (Steel wind strike would be an obvious choice). How you would want to implement this would, of course, be up to you.

Extra attack is obvious of course, and fits well. Aura of protection would help mechanically shore up Riddick's mental and physical toughness, explaining how he dealt with the lord marshall's supernatural soul stealing so 'easily', as well as shrugging off the tranqs and the issues he has with hypersleep. Aura of hate would just make his multiple attacks that much more effective. Expertise in stealth is a no-brainer, and realistically should be earlier in the build, but the extra points in athletics would likely mean more, which is why I have it the way I do.

Taking your final two levels in Sorceror would possibly make sense, as you would then get metamagic - not a lot of it, of course, but it would enable you to potentially do subtle spells and quickened spells and also turn in spell slots for more spell points, for instance, but there are arguments for taking levels elsewhere, too.

Thoughts, comments?

Dork_Forge
2020-03-09, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure that Paladin necessarily fits, I'd rather go the Dex based Fighter route (min. Str10 and Athletics prof, he is still buff) with two weapon fighting style (focus on knives) and the Tavern Brawler feat. It's essentially he have Darkvision so either mixing in Gloom Stalker seems a no brainer, but primarily the Dex Fighter feels right, using either Battle Master or Samurai. For skill you an just dip Rogue (which would be fitting) or pick up Prodigy (like a lot of fictional characters Riddick is very good at a lot of things, the extra ASIs of the Fighter chassis help to pull that off).
Edit: I'd just try and avoid casting where possible, whilst I get reflavouring things, Riddick feels more like the guy that slips out of the shadows to kill the mage through sheer skill rather than being able to cast himself.

ravenkith
2020-03-09, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure that Paladin necessarily fits, I'd rather go the Dex based Fighter route (min. Str10 and Athletics prof, he is still buff) with two weapon fighting style (focus on knives) and the Tavern Brawler feat. It's essentially he have Darkvision so either mixing in Gloom Stalker seems a no brainer, but primarily the Dex Fighter feels right, using either Battle Master or Samurai. For skill you an just dip Rogue (which would be fitting) or pick up Prodigy (like a lot of fictional characters Riddick is very good at a lot of things, the extra ASIs of the Fighter chassis help to pull that off).
Edit: I'd just try and avoid casting where possible, whilst I get reflavouring things, Riddick feels more like the guy that slips out of the shadows to kill the mage through sheer skill rather than being able to cast himself.

But can your version kill a man with a teacup? Nope.

ThatoneGuy84
2020-03-09, 11:18 AM

Human V with Taveen brawler
Battlemaster
Swashbuckler
Hexblade warlock

Feels very accurate to me.

Dork_Forge
2020-03-09, 11:27 AM

I mean it has Tavern Brawler and can add damage to it, so yes it can? Tavern Brawler is literally the only requirement for the teacupo thing. Your version leaves the character with a bunch of spellcasting, musical instrument prof etc. how does that fit Riddick better?

Magicspook
2020-03-09, 12:08 PM
It would help if you told us where this Riddick(ulous) guy comes from.

Evaar
2020-03-09, 12:13 PM

The movies Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick, Riddick, and apparently there was one in the middle called Dark Fury.

He's played by Vin Diesel. The movies aren't great and the character is pretty silly, but there is a charm to them. Largely because Diesel just keeps making these movies happen by sheer force of will out of love for the character.

Arkhios
2020-03-09, 12:15 PM

*gasp* someone who doesn't know who or what Riddick is!?

In all seriousness though, Riddick is the main character in the movies Pitch Black (2000), The Chronicles of Riddick (2004), and Riddick (2013), starred by Vin Diesel (the quintessential and admitted D&D Player Celebrity).

Riddick is a furian – one of the last remaining members of a human-like species with superhuman abilities from the planet Furia (i.e. perfect darkvision, echolocation, catlike reflexes, superhuman strength, and innate ability to make physical contact with incorporeal creatures where humans would only grasp air, with one and apparently only drawback: their eyes are sensitive to sunlight), who have very recently become victims of a galaxy-wide genocide. Oh, and obviously Riddick is a wanted criminal with a hefty bounty on his head dead or alive, who then makes a 180°-ish turn and becomes a good guy towards the end. You know, a typical teenage boy's favorite character concept, no doubt largely created by Vin Diesel himself.

Personally, I would make Riddick as a mix of barbarian and fighter. For his race I would probably choose half-elf, because they have darkvision while they are also very much like humans otherwise. And a few extra skill proficiencies never hurt anyone.

Evaar
2020-03-09, 12:22 PM
I mean it has Tavern Brawler and can add damage to it, so yes it can? Tavern Brawler is literally the only requirement for the teacupo thing. Your version leaves the character with a bunch of spellcasting, musical instrument prof etc. how does that fit Riddick better?

What he means is that adding Paladin allows you to nova with any melee attack via Smite. Using an improvised weapon for a single attack isn't likely to get you a one-shot kill, but if you add Smite on top it could.

That said, I would still go with Fighter primarily, then grab some Gloomstalker Ranger and some Inquisitive Rogue.

ravenkith
2020-03-09, 01:05 PM
What he means is that adding Paladin allows you to nova with any melee attack via Smite. Using an improvised weapon for a single attack isn't likely to get you a one-shot kill, but if you add Smite on top it could.

That said, I would still go with Fighter primarily, then grab some Gloomstalker Ranger and some Inquisitive Rogue.

Yes, this is what I was driving at: one of the iconic scenes in the movies highlighting just how dangerous Riddick is, is a scene when he's locked up in a prison, ostensibly weaponless, and he intervenes in a pending rape scene by, I **** you not, killing a man in one blow with a crappy tin tea cup to the heart.

He then intimidates the other mooks present by threatening them with what is, essentially, a spam can opener.

The gloomstalker/inquisitive combo is what I've seen online for Riddick, and to be honest, it's not a terrible approximation, but you just can't properly teacup a dude with it, because sneak doesn't work with improvised weapons.

Same reason you can't really go dex-based, because improvised weapons aren't finesse-able. No finesse = no dex builds and no sneak dice. The problem is that Riddick is shown to be just as deadly with mundane objects as he is with a good sword or dagger - he frequently one-hit kills stuff al the time, and very, very rarely from stealth or with an ally within five feet of his target.

Divine Smite, however, works with any melee attack, including any and all of your improvised weapons, any where, any time, as long as you have spell slots left. It's just a better solution from a mechanical standpoint. It also explains why Riddick prefers to get into melee as opposed to just shooting people from a distance - he doesn't get his sick bonuses, lol.

As far as spell casting is concerned, you're basically using the mechanics of DND to give a character a specific ability you see him use in the films: Animal friendship lets him make friends with animals quickly, for instance. Without using spells, there's really no good way to give him the ability to do the things he does in the films at all: I know you're going to say animal handling here, but the rules on that skill really only allow manipulation of DOMESTICATED critters.

The ability to detect poison, to cause people in the middle of a battle to pause and wait their turn to attack (go back and watch some of those fight scenes, he's definitely using hypnosis), being able to basically force people to fight him themselves as opposed to just having their men gun him down en masse.....(compelled duel), surviving falls to certain death.....best way to replicate all of that is through spells (shrug).

Of course, the vast majority of his abilities that you are going to take are going be purely situational, or enhancing his existing attributes, and you won't be using them all the time anyway, as you're going to want to save them up for smite fuel.

Ultimately, you can reflavor all of the spells so that they 'look like' whatever you want them to be, as long as you don't change them from a mechanical standpoint, in order to keep balance.

Again, animal friendship, for example, has a verbal, somatic and material component, but that could be as simple as handing hte critter a bit of food, patting him on the side of the head, and saying "who's a good boy then?"

Garfunion
2020-03-09, 01:58 PM
First off what I’ve seen in the movies particularly the animated one, Riddick does not have perfect darkvision. He still needs some light to see which is why in the animated movie he was having such a hard time tracking the monsters in the battle arena.

To me Riddick is a totem barbarian human variant tavern brawler feat and stealth proficiency
•3rd level Spirit Seeker feature helps explain his animal connection.
•3rd level bear totem explains how he can resist so much necrotic damage from his soul being (attempted) ripped out.
•6th level eagle totem for his sight ability
•10th level Spirit Walker helps with his awareness and survivability
•14th level Elk for some more damage.

ZerohFG
2020-03-09, 02:08 PM
First off what I’ve seen in the movies particularly the animated one, Riddick does not have perfect darkvision. He still needs some light to see which is why in the animated movie he was having such a hard time tracking the monsters in the battle arena.

Yea, that was pretty much the one reason I didn't just suggest the UA Blind fighting style and some sort of fighter/rogue combo. I would say devil's sight from warlock would work well. Since he made a deal to get his eyes. Darkvision for some cigarettes. Even then it's good darkvision, but past 120 ft not so much.

Garfunion
2020-03-09, 02:12 PM
Yea, that was pretty much the one reason I didn't just suggest the UA Blind fighting style and some sort of fighter/rogue combo. I would say devil's sight from warlock would work well. Since he made a deal to get his eyes. Darkvision for some cigarettes. Even then it's good darkvision, but past 120 ft not so much.

But the eagle totem allows him to see up to a mile away even in dimly lit condition as if it was perfect vision. He was never really subject to absolute dark conditions except during the battle arena all other times it was mostly dimly lit.

Dork_Forge
2020-03-09, 03:09 PM
Yes, this is what I was driving at: one of the iconic scenes in the movies highlighting just how dangerous Riddick is, is a scene when he's locked up in a prison, ostensibly weaponless, and he intervenes in a pending rape scene by, I **** you not, killing a man in one blow with a crappy tin tea cup to the heart.

He then intimidates the other mooks present by threatening them with what is, essentially, a spam can opener.

The gloomstalker/inquisitive combo is what I've seen online for Riddick, and to be honest, it's not a terrible approximation, but you just can't properly teacup a dude with it, because sneak doesn't work with improvised weapons.

Same reason you can't really go dex-based, because improvised weapons aren't finesse-able. No finesse = no dex builds and no sneak dice. The problem is that Riddick is shown to be just as deadly with mundane objects as he is with a good sword or dagger - he frequently one-hit kills stuff al the time, and very, very rarely from stealth or with an ally within five feet of his target.

Divine Smite, however, works with any melee attack, including any and all of your improvised weapons, any where, any time, as long as you have spell slots left. It's just a better solution from a mechanical standpoint. It also explains why Riddick prefers to get into melee as opposed to just shooting people from a distance - he doesn't get his sick bonuses, lol.

As far as spell casting is concerned, you're basically using the mechanics of DND to give a character a specific ability you see him use in the films: Animal friendship lets him make friends with animals quickly, for instance. Without using spells, there's really no good way to give him the ability to do the things he does in the films at all: I know you're going to say animal handling here, but the rules on that skill really only allow manipulation of DOMESTICATED critters.

The ability to detect poison, to cause people in the middle of a battle to pause and wait their turn to attack (go back and watch some of those fight scenes, he's definitely using hypnosis), being able to basically force people to fight him themselves as opposed to just having their men gun him down en masse.....(compelled duel), surviving falls to certain death.....best way to replicate all of that is through spells (shrug).

Of course, the vast majority of his abilities that you are going to take are going be purely situational, or enhancing his existing attributes, and you won't be using them all the time anyway, as you're going to want to save them up for smite fuel.

Ultimately, you can reflavor all of the spells so that they 'look like' whatever you want them to be, as long as you don't change them from a mechanical standpoint, in order to keep balance.

Again, animal friendship, for example, has a verbal, somatic and material component, but that could be as simple as handing hte critter a bit of food, patting him on the side of the head, and saying "who's a good boy then?"

You can add damage with Superiority Dice for more damage, either way Paladin just doesn't... feel right. He doesn't wear armor (and when he did he got messed up and had to go back to being him), his fighting is primarily with knives or his hands across all movies (your example of a teacup IS an outlier) and shows more finesse and skill than force. If anything a Monk would be a better fit than Paladin for matching what he's actually like instead of building around a specific scene (and most of the people he one shots are low hp minions anyway). Divine Smite may be good for the increased damage (ignoring the fact that it's radiant damage), but how do you explain away Divine Sense (seeing as it's not just generally good senses or tracking) or Lay on Hands?

I will say Animal Handling yes, animals just like him, he's not overpowering their minds with magic and the effect isn't limited to 24 hours. I get the whole reflavouring spells part, but you have to accept that you need the DM to go along with some things and Animal Handling is a more true representation of that. Just like making people wait there turn in combat so to speak isn't him hypnotising anyone, if anything it's a show of Intimidation skill and not everything from a movie can be accurately conveyed in a DnD build. On that same token if you're casting a spell you're losing your turn to attack, that isn't really reflected in the movies. Your build also doesn't give Riddick of all people the Survival skill and as it's based on Charisma it's not like he would be inherently good at it either.

Garfunion
2020-03-09, 03:40 PM
The tea cup scene is a bit overrated. Most d&d guards have 11hp. A level 5 Barbarian raging and two attack (1st attack “stab” the guy with the cup and 2nd attack twist) can easily kill a guard.

Daithi
2020-03-09, 08:51 PM
I'd probably go with some mixture of Gloomstalker-3 for the dark vision and ambushing advantage, and take the Unarmed Fighting Style (UA) then go with Brute Fighter (UA) and the Tavern Brawler feat. This is just a big huge dude, with weird eyes, that can beat the snot out of you, and could easily deliver 11 hp to kill some lowly guard with a teacup. I'd stay away from classes that tack on a bunch of magic using baggage that doesn't fit the character.

DarknessEternal
2020-03-09, 09:02 PM
You have to be 10 levels higher than the content of the campaign.

If you aren't that, it isn't anything like him. 5e is too low-powered to be a badbutt on level.

Battlebooze
2020-03-09, 10:23 PM

Any one can kill a man with a teacup if the killed man only had 1 hit point. :P

djreynolds
2020-03-10, 01:39 AM
Finally a real question on this forum.

Why has no one asked this before?

Awesome... seriously

Awesome character.

1. High strength and dex. Rolled stats obviously. Let's say all 16s.

4 Gloomstalker....

4 Assassin...

2 Warlock... Devils sight. Though shadow sorcerer could also be used.

4 Shadow monk.... also for unarmored defense.

6 paladin for smite. OoV and aura

This is a hero build forget standard array.