PDA

View Full Version : Advice: OoTA (Spoilers)

DBMA
2020-03-09, 09:40 AM
Hi everyone. I could use some advice regarding a potential loot dispute between myself and another party member in the module Out of the Abyss.

The party tried to pressure me to go evoker wizard (I prefer playing Martial), but I find that boring. I also find the Divination wizard incredibly boring (pure optimization isn't always exciting--just predictable). I only selected wizard because everyone posted for class instead of a session-0 and we were sore up for Arcane casters. I was the first to write out my characters backstory, as a military mage conscripted into joining a Lord's Alliance/Order of Gauntlet expedition into the Underdark. I was already certain at that time I was either going Abjuration or War Magic to play the route of Regiment Captain, etc. Then about a week ago I realized I could go Blade-singing and run around like a Jedi Tactician buffing/de-buffing the battlefield while dancing in and out of melee. And that sounded way more engaging.

Anyway, The party contains a Sun Soul Mnk, a Swash Rogue, A Forge Cleric, and a Grave Cleric, and Me (potentially bladesinger) We had a fighter, but they dropped. From some friends who ran it, I know that at some point a special sun-sword has a chance of appearing--thus it's going to be up for contest. Obviously from fluff, the Mnk would immediately try to lay claim to it, and the Rogue has as much claim. But as I said, I want to play GISH and that sunsword would be a dream come true for a Bladesinger.

I know this is a complete hypothetical, but my point is that we're about to hit our subclass selections in the next 2-4 sessions (it's a txt campaign, moves slow). I can still opt out of blade singer and go with abjurer or war mage, but I think I'd be a lot less engaged tbh. Sure, reality altering powers are fun and I'd divert more to casting as the game went on, but if that sun sword did appear and I wasn't on bladesinger, I'd think I'd be kind of sore.

Other things to note:
-I'm the only pc without darkvision (and capable of casting it). DM removed elf-restriction.
-I optimized stats so transition between subclasses would be a non-issue.
-Monk and Rogue are both going striker. We have no true Defender, another reason I looked at Gish.
-The monk called class immediately as they joined, and then everyone else followed their example without discussion. I think that annoyed me the most. I like session-0s because they can squash conflicts such as this before they can appear. Normally I have to DM campaigns, so getting to play was a exciting. Then I couldn't opt in to what I would have preferred to play (Defender Fighter or Pally).

Sam113097
2020-03-14, 04:58 AM
You should definitely play the subclass that will be the most fun for you! How by-the-book is your DM? In my experience, nearly every Dungeon Master adjusts loot and magic items to fit their players' classes and playstyles, so there's a very good chance that your DM gives you a shot to grab a great magic weapon as a bladesinger even if you don't end up with the particular sword you've got your eye on. If the sun-sword does end up in the hands of a different party member and you feel that you're falling behind or not having as much fun without a similar magical blade, let your Dungeon Master know; if he or she is reasonable, he or she will make a comparable item available to you.