PDA

View Full Version : Human Variant (Ranger 2 / Fighter battle master 4)

Nosta
2020-03-09, 09:46 AM
What is the ranger that deals with superiority dice.?
I can't seem to find it any where and have a week to build this character

nickl_2000
2020-03-09, 09:49 AM
What is the ranger that deals with superiority dice.?
I can't seem to find it any where and have a week to build this character

A very old Unearthed Arcana that has it. It's the spell-less ranger from UA 03 - Modifying Classes

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes

Keravath
2020-03-09, 11:26 AM
Honestly, I'd be tempted to go with fighter battle master 6 rather than this multiclass. You give up a lot by getting 2 levels in ranger unless there is a specific thematic character building reason you want the two levels of ranger.

If you want a ranged character.
Human variant, cross bow expert, sharpshooter, +2 dex - level 6 fighter battlemaster.

The two levels of ranger costs 2 ASIs (1 instead of 3) and extra attack while gaining a fighting style (and 2 spells if you go with a regular ranger ... ) ... unless you have a great roleplay reason for it 2/4 doesn't make much sense as a level split.

djreynolds
2020-03-09, 05:23 PM
Its good combo, the battle master and spell-less ranger, IMO you could stack both.

Its a good amount of SD dice per short rest.

Lavaeolus
2020-03-09, 05:56 PM
Its good combo, the battle master and spell-less ranger, IMO you could stack both.

Its a good amount of SD dice per short rest.

Note that while the Spell-less Ranger does crib off Battle Master, it doesn't give guidance on how it would work with multiclassing. So before creating this character, you should probably ensure you and your DM are on the same page as to how the multiclass would work. You should also, more generally, check that your DM is okay with you using it; it's not only Unearthed Arcana, but it's also kind of a thoughtpiece on how you could rework existing content, as opposed to currently-intended playtest material. You won't find it on DND Beyond or the like, and I don't know many people who have tried it out and can comment on its balance.

Now, the most generous way to read it is that the initial four superiority dice granted by the Ranger and the Battle Master stack; this would give a Ranger 2 / Battle Master 3 eight superiority dice right off the bat, in addition to their higher amount of maneuvers. If the Ranger-with-No-Spells ever became official handbook material, I am almost certain something would be done to patch this out.

Alternatively, you might draw a distinction between "You have four superiority die..." and "You gain another die at..."; this is what I would probably do, simply because getting more superiority dice at level 5 than a pure Battle Master ever will feels a little silly. It breaks the intended progression for both classes. (As examples, in the second interpretation a Battle Master 3 / Ranger 9 would have five dice, and a Battle Master 7 / Ranger 9 would have six; the four initial dice did not stack, but they gained one at Ranger 9 and then gained another at Battle Master 7.)

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-09, 06:01 PM

It woulda been nice if they made a martial "Superiority Slots" system that worked similarly to how spell slots worked.

So each martial class gets a list of special moves (Barbarian Bull Rush, Ranger Multishot, Rogue Feint, Valor Bard War Chant, etc) that kept maneuvers based on the base classes, and "uses" based on total martial levels.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-09, 06:10 PM
It woulda been nice if they made a martial "Superiority Slots" system that worked similarly to how spell slots worked.

So each martial class gets a list of special moves (Barbarian Bull Rush, Ranger Multishot, Rogue Feint, Valor Bard War Chant, etc) that kept maneuvers based on the base classes, and "uses" based on total martial levels.

Shhhh. Can't give martials stuff like that, that would totally break the game and the immersion in this fantasy world of gods, talking dragons, and wizards would totally be skewed.

Edit: Side note, I think a spell less Bard makes for a great fighter that has a mechanic that is more than just "I hit the enemy".