PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Conversion of Giant Shark Bowl Ooze from 5e to 3.5

Debihuman
2020-03-09, 04:34 PM
Source material: https://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/monsters-foes/monsters-by-type/oozes/ooze-giant-shark-bowl/

Google will easily show you the picture which is why I absolutely felt the need to convert this to 3.5

Ooze, Giant Shark Bowl

A large shark within a huge fishbowl circles a myriad of shells, a small castle, and a treasure chest.

Giant Shark Bowl Ooze (Aquatic)
Huge Ooze
Hit Dice: 15d10+75 (157 hp)
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+25
Initiative: -4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 6 (-2 Size -4 Dex, +2 natural), touch 4, flat-footed 6
Attack: Bite + 15 melee (1d8+6) or slam +15 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: Bite +15 melee (1d8+6) and 2 slams +15 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 15 ft. /10 ft.
Special Attacks: Blood frenzy, electrical charge, engulf,
Special Qualities: Amphibious, blindsight 60 ft., damage resistance 10 to acid, fire, and slashing, immunity to electricity, keen scent, mindless, ooze traits
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +1, Will +5
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 3, Con 20 Int — Wis 10, Cha 5
Skills: —
Feats: MultiattackB, Improved MultiattackB
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 16-30 (Huge), 31-45 (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: —

A shark on dry land may not be very threatening, but a shark that shares its life force with a massive ooze is a different beast. It draws in its prey with the promise of treasure.

The two monsters share a symbiotic attachment and would be doomed without one another. The shark and ooze both gain sustenance from living tissue the ooze gathers as the shark swims in the ooze, consuming it all. The magic within the giant shark bowl requires great energy to maintain, keeping the creature constantly hungry.

A paranoid lich concocted this creature as an “improvement” on other oozes built to guard phylacteries. The lich reasoned that the illusion of a reward hidden inside the transparent ooze might sway possible thieves away from its true phylactery, especially if such a treasure had a “guard.”

The shark within the giant shark bowl ooze doesn’t require sleep as it is a symbiotic creature.

Blindsight (Ex): A giant shark bowl ooze’s entire body is a primitive sensory organ that can ascertain prey by vibration within 60 feet.

Blood Frenzy (Su): The giant shark bowl ooze gains a +2 circumstance bonus on melee attack rolls against any creature that doesn’t have all its hit points.

Electrical Charge (Su): When the giant shark bowl ooze is subjected to electricity damage, it takes no damage and instead becomes charged for 1 minute. While charged, its attacks deal an extra 2d4 points of electricity damage.

Engulf (Ex): Although it moves slowly, it can simply mow down Large or smaller creatures as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs, but the it can bite. The shark bowl ooze merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make opportunity attacks against the ooze but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 24 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the bowl moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the ooze’s bite attack. The save DC is Strength-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

The shark bowl takes up its entire space. Other creatures can enter the space, but they are subjected to the bowl’s Engulf and take a -2 penalty on the saving throw to be engulfed.

Creatures inside the bowl can be seen but have total cover. A creature within 5 feet of the bowl can take a Standard action to pull a creature out. Doing so requires a successful DC 15 Strength check, and the creature making the attempt takes 3d10+6 points of piercing damage from the swirling shells and sand (No save). The bowl can hold one Large creature or up to six Medium or smaller creatures inside it at a time. Creatures within a giant shark bowl ooze are in danger of suffocating.

Keen Scent (Ex): A giant shark bowl ooze can notice creatures by scent in a 180-foot radius and detect blood in the water at ranges of up to a mile.

Melayl
2020-03-09, 10:36 PM
This is...

AWESOME! The genius that created this needs to be sent much praise.

I don't look at 5E material, so I would never have seen this if it weren't for you. Thank you! If I had a group to game with, this would definitely show up.

Eldan
2020-03-10, 09:49 AM
That has to be based on the old 3.5 idea of dungeonbred acidborn shark in an ooze. Brilliant.

Miss Disaster
2020-03-10, 12:34 PM
I fell in love with the Giant Shark Bowl Ooze the moment I cracked open the 5e Creature Codex.

But deep in my heart, I'm a loyally steadfast 3.P girl. So your version just totally made my day! I'm nabbing this for a campaign arc I've been slogging through writing over the last 2 months. Now I have a good boost of creative energy to shift into a higher gear!

I see your Keg Golem too, Debi. Very, very cool. Is this a new series of critter conversions that you'll be working on?

Debihuman
2020-03-11, 06:19 AM
That has to be based on the old 3.5 idea of dungeonbred acidborn shark in an ooze. Brilliant.

I don't even remember that (goes and looks at Dungeonscape again). Hmmm. Those templates still don't put the shark IN the ooze. The symbiotic relationship is actually easier in this case since the shark's stats are merely secondary to the ooze's stats. Mostly it adds the bite attack. Also this way I didn't have to stat out the shark and then figure out how to get it inside an ooze.

I don't generally mind fiddling around with templates, but that can take up a lot of time. Did anyone ever stat up that critter using said templates or was it merely in discussion? Google was no help on it.

I'm converting some of the critters from Creature Codex to 3.5. I'm not doing all of them.

Debby

loky1109
2020-04-17, 07:43 AM
Space for Huge - 15 ft.
About sleep... All oozes do not sleep.

UPD: My version.

Giant Shark Bowl Ooze (Aquatic)
Huge Ooze
Hit Dice: 15d10+75 plus 3d8+3 (173 hp)
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+25
Initiative: -4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 6 (-2 Size -4 Dex, +2 natural), touch 4, flat-footed 6
Attack: slam +15 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack:2 slams +15 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Blood frenzy, electrical charge, engulf,
Special Qualities: Amphibious, blindsight 60 ft., damage resistance 10 to acid, fire, and slashing, immunity to electricity, keen scent, mindless, ooze traits, shark inside, transparent
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +1, Will +5
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 3, Con 20 Int — Wis 10, Cha 5
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: Ooze: 16-30 (Huge), 30-39 (Gargantuan), 40-45 (Colossal); Shark: 4–6 HD (Medium), 8–9 HD (Large), 11–17 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

A shark on dry land may not be very threatening, but a shark that shares its life force with a massive ooze is a different beast. It draws in its prey with the promise of treasure.

The two monsters share a symbiotic attachment and would be doomed without one another. The shark and ooze both gain sustenance from living tissue the ooze gathers as the shark swims in the ooze, consuming it all. The magic within the giant shark bowl requires great energy to maintain, keeping the creature constantly hungry.

A paranoid lich concocted this creature as an “improvement” on other oozes built to guard phylacteries. The lich reasoned that the illusion of a reward hidden inside the transparent ooze might sway possible thieves away from its true phylactery, especially if such a treasure had a “guard.”

Blindsight (Ex): A giant shark bowl ooze’s entire body is a primitive sensory organ that can ascertain prey by vibration within 60 feet.

Blood Frenzy (Ex): The giant shark bowl ooze gains a +2 circumstance bonus on melee attack rolls against any creature that doesn’t have all its hit points.

Electrical Charge (Su): When the giant shark bowl ooze is subjected to electricity damage, it takes no damage and instead becomes charged for 1 minute. While charged, its outside attacks deal an extra 2d4 points of electricity damage. And engulfed creatures take same electricity damage every round, but don't take it from shark bites.

Engulf (Ex): Although it moves slowly, it can simply mow down Large or smaller creatures as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs, but shark insade can bite. The shark bowl ooze merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make opportunity attacks against the ooze but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 24 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the bowl moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the ooze’s bite attack. The save DC is Strength-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

The shark bowl takes up its entire space. Other creatures can enter the space, but they are subjected to the bowl’s Engulf and take a -2 penalty on the saving throw to be engulfed.

Creatures inside the bowl can swim and fight using standard underwater combat rulles (DMG, p. 93).

Creatures inside the bowl can be seen but have total cover. A creature within 5 feet of the bowl can take a Standard action to pull a creature out. Doing so requires a successful DC 15 Strength check, and it provokes attacks of opportunity from both ooze and shark (and any other enemy). The bowl can hold one Large creature or up to six Medium or smaller creatures inside it at a time.

Shark Inside (Ex): There is a shark inside the bowl. The shark has resistance 10 to acid and fire, immunity to electricity, all mindaffecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning, and shares its hit points with bowl (included in stats) and BAB of ooze. In all other respects it is a standard shark of its size, medium size in this case (MM, p. 279). This shark attacks engulfed creatures and creatures in its reach outside bowl to the best of its ability.

Keen Scent (Ex): A giant shark bowl ooze can notice creatures by scent in a 180-foot radius and detect blood in the water at ranges of up to a mile.

Transparent (Ex): The giant shark bowl oozes are hard to see in water, even under ideal conditions, and it takes a DC 20 Spot check to notice one. Creatures who fail to notice the bowl see only the shark. If they swim into the bowl space they are automatically engulfed.
The giant shark bowl ooze isn't only water, there are some parts of sea bottom, chest with treasure, and maybe somthing else. Because of it when bowl is far from real sea floor it is easier to spot. Reduce spot DC by 5 for every 5 ft distanse between the bowl and real floor. DM may modify this DC penalty based on observer's point of view. For example: if the observer is right above the bowl the penalty may be halved or reduced even more. On the contrary, if the observer somehow looks at the bowl from below the penalty may be increased two or more times, or even give to the observer auto success.

Debihuman
2020-04-20, 09:13 PM
I fixed space/reach in my original version.

Oozes don’t sleep but animals do, that’s why the shark has ooze immunities. I could have added the Shark’s HD but it’s not a separate creature so its HD are incorporated into the ooze in my stat block.

I kinda get why you added the shark’s HD but as it part of the ooze the 15 HD should be enough. However you should break down the HP correctly.

Hit Dice: 15d10+75 plus 3d8+ 15 (178 hp)

You need to make it clear that the shark is Medium sized. Where is its bite attack? That’s why it get gets Multiattack as a bonus feat. If it doesn’t have a bite attack, it doesn’t need the bonus feats.

Swimming in ooze shouldn’t necessarily be the same as swimming in water but I can see why you did that.

loky1109
2020-04-21, 08:22 AM
I kinda get why you added the shark’s HD but as it part of the ooze the 15 HD should be enough. However you should break down the HP correctly.

Hit Dice: 15d10+75 plus 3d8+ 15 (178 hp)
Not +15. Shark stats including its hp take from MM1.
Done.

You need to make it clear that the shark is Medium sized.
Good. Done.

Where is its bite attack?
In MM1. :-)

That’s why it get gets Multiattack as a bonus feat. If it doesn’t have a bite attack, it doesn’t need the bonus feats.
Good point. My error. Fix.

Swimming in ooze shouldn’t necessarily be the same as swimming in water but I can see why you did that.
I saw this amazing monster and wanted to make it different tactical environment itself. But so small space inside, and I think so more rules aren't necessary and regular swimming is enough different.

When working on my version I looked on this:

Doing so requires a successful DC 15 Strength check, and the creature making the attempt takes 3d10+6 points of piercing damage.
and didn't understant why. Next I looked at D&D5 stats... "3d10+6 points of piercing damage" is regular bite damage of this ooze. In this case it makes sense. In your conversion this damage seems come from nowhere.

Debihuman
2020-04-22, 04:27 AM
Not +15. Shark stats including its hp take from MM1.

Except the creature is now sharing stats seeCon 15. Now you understand why the shark is incorporated. Technically, your way requires two separate stat blocks: one for the ooze and one for the shark.

I saw this amazin monster and wanted to make it different tactical environment itself. But so small space inside, and I think so more rules aren't necessary and regular swimming is enough different.

Point taken. You could just add a -5 circumstance penalty as swimming in an ooze is more difficult than swimming in water.

Bite damage includes Str modifier. I’m treating this a symbiotic shark so its bite get the Str modifier. In this case, I bent the rules so it got the full Str bonus modifier to better match the original material.

loky1109
2020-04-22, 01:51 PM
You could just add a -5 circumstance penalty as swimming in an ooze is more difficult than swimming in water.
-5 penalty on what? Why some circumstance penalty aren't including on swiming for example in lava? )))

Bite damage includes Str modifier. I’m treating this a symbiotic shark so its bite get the Str modifier. In this case, I bent the rules so it got the full Str bonus modifier to better match the original material.
It's about "3d10+6 points of piercing damage"?

In original damage dice and damage type is same in bite and in this ability. In your conversion both aren't. Dice - ok, don't matter, but type... It is visualizing as bite. Bite damage is piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage (MM, p. 312), not only piercing as in 5E.

Technically, your way requires two separate stat blocks: one for the ooze and one for the shark.
You are right, but Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V from SRD or MM... Is it necessary?