PDA

View Full Version : Does such a spell exist?

Collin152
2007-10-22, 09:06 PM
I'm looking for a spell to render my enemy mute without actually silencing him. He'd hear things, and the effect wouldn't radiate.
If no such spell exists, would it belong to Bestow Curse or Greater Bestow Curse?
If it does exist, please inform me of its location, and if it's not too much trouble, the level it is obtained.
Appreciation in advance all around.

AKA_Bait
2007-10-22, 09:18 PM
As far as I know there is no particular spell that does that. Considering that Blindness/Deafness and Silence are all lower level than Bestow Curse I'd say that a regular old Bestow Curse ought to suffice for it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-22, 09:21 PM
I am unaware of any specific spell whose sole function is to render the target mute. If you don't mind dealing with the 'side effects,' you can use spells such as sleep, hold person, or baleful polymorph to effectively silence another character.

You mention curses... Well, muteness does seem to be an appropriate power level for bestow curse, especially when compared to other official recommendations from Book of Vile Darkness and Dragon. So that would be just fine.

Also, you could go ahead and research the spell.

Collin152
2007-10-22, 09:25 PM
Awesome, the fact that bestow curse seems appropriate is perfect given that the character I had it in mind for is, well, a Sea Witch, who has the ability to replicate the spell as one of their features.
Thank you very much.

Dode
2007-10-22, 09:25 PM
Hold Person?
Suggestion: "Don't speak until I say you can."?

Collin152
2007-10-22, 09:42 PM
Mmm, would have done that, but such an open ended thing kind of has a duration, and I needed something like "You, shut up forever, don't cast anymore spells until you get magical help, and if you can't afford it, too bad for you." You know, a real blight. Well, upon further reading, my witch's curse will fade if they leave the ocean long enough. Works even better for me... staunch defender of the seas from spellcasters, perhaps?

Clementx
2007-10-22, 10:02 PM
I second Bestow Curse as the best spell for it. Either that, or a copy-paste of Blindness/Deafness for muting, (researched or given for free, since the design-space for the spell is untouched and I would want to use it as a DM), would be a suitable house addition.

Suggestion requires a reasonable course of action. "Be quiet in the library" would work. "Don't speak at all for 1 hour/CL" isn't the type of thing anyone but an ascetic hermit would do. Dominate Person also would work, but it is even more overkill than Bestow Curse.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-22, 10:12 PM
Well, if I were a DM, I would let my player research a spell of the same level as blindness/deafness to do this. It seems along the same power lines (well, actually a tad bit weaker, but with the caster nerf thing, it works there).

Chronos
2007-10-22, 11:51 PM
The 3rd-level bard spell Sculpt Sound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sculptSound.htm) would also do what you're looking for, though it can also produce other effects, and it has a limited duration.