PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Astral Wizard homebrew subclass

Flare325
2020-03-09, 05:58 PM
Hi all,

I've created a new subclass for the wizard which fits into my homebrew setting (a place which frequently has 'spills' or 'tears' into the astral plane), but I've realised I kinda suck at balancing things. I would greatly appreciate it if you could have a look over what I've written and see if it's any good or not. Constructive criticism as well as any and all feedback would be amazing. Hopefully its not too weirdly worded and is somewhat simple to understand.

Thanks, Flare

School of the Astral: Wizard subclass
Few wizards choose to study something as alien and foreign as the astral sea and the scars that they bear. Proponents of the school argue that studying these alien happenings is the best way to defend the realm against further threats in the future whereas opposers claim that wizards who follow this path are playing with the powers of gods and are threatening to unleash a far greater evil than the world has ever seen. Regardless, these wizards refer to themselves as rift mages, scholars of the astral and knowers of the unknown.

Rift Bringer
Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, your study of the Astral plane grants you access to the Astral Split subclass feature, which may only be cast once per short/long rest.

Touches of the Astral Sea
At 2nd level, your close studies of the astral sea have left imprints on your mind and body. You gain resistance to psychic damage and gain a bonus to any wisdom skill check equal to your Intelligence modifier. Additionally, if you do not already have proficiency with the arcana skill, you gain proficiency.

Liberation of the Mind
At 6th level, you are able to open your mind to the puzzling nature of the astral sea, allowing you to move less predictably. If your movement would provoke an opportunity attack against you, your opponent gains disadvantage on their attack roll. If their opportunity attack misses, you gain +5 movement until your next turn.

Bane of the Oppressors
Beginning at 10th level, when you cast a spell against a target for the first time, you may choose to take a bonus action to throw a ball of the astral at the target. When you do, make a ranged spell attack against the target. If it succeeds, the target takes an extra 3d8 psychic damage. Once you use this ability, you must take a long rest before it can be used again.

One with the Unknown
Starting at 14th level, your increased knowledge of the Astral Sea has allowed you to create little rifts to walk through, moving yourself around the battlefield. As a bonus action, you may jump in and out of the astral plane to move to an unoccupied space up to 30ft away. If an opponent attempts to make an opportunity attack against you, you gain +3AC until your next turn. If the enemies opportunity attack misses, that enemy takes 6d6 force damage.

Astral Split subclass feature:
Clenching your fist, you create a tear at a point you choose to the astral plane in a 5x5 radius. Any creature other than you that begins its turn at target point must make a dexterity saving throw. A target takes full damage on a failed save, and half as much on a successful one. The affected area counts as difficult terrain for the duration of the spell. The user of this ability may choose to take the maximum radius or a reduced radius (to a minimum of 5x5ft).

@lvl 2: Damage is 3d6, maximum radius is 5x5ft
@lvl 4: Damage is 4d6, maximum radius is 10x10ft
@lvl 6: Damage is 7d6, maximum radius is 10x10ft
@lvl 8: Damage is 8d6,maximum radius is 15x15ft
@lvl 10: Damage is 10d6, maximum radius is 15x15ft
@lvl 12: Damage is 11d6, maximum radius is 20x20ft
@lvl 14: Damage is 13d7, maximum radius is 20x20ft
@lvl 16: Damage is 15d6, maximum radius is 30x30ft
@lvl 18: Damage is 17d6, maximum radius is 30x30ft
@lvl 20: Damage is 20d6, maximum radius is 40x40ft

MrStabby
2020-03-09, 06:51 PM
Hi all,

I've created a new subclass for the wizard which fits into my homebrew setting (a place which frequently has 'spills' or 'tears' into the astral plane), but I've realised I kinda suck at balancing things. I would greatly appreciate it if you could have a look over what I've written and see if it's any good or not. Constructive criticism as well as any and all feedback would be amazing. Hopefully its not too weirdly worded and is somewhat simple to understand.

Thanks, Flare

Few wizards choose to study something as alien and foreign as the astral sea and the scars that they bear. Proponents of the school argue that studying these alien happenings is the best way to defend the realm against further threats in the future whereas opposers claim that wizards who follow this path are playing with the powers of gods and are threatening to unleash a far greater evil than the world has ever seen. Regardless, these wizards refer to themselves as rift mages, scholars of the astral and knowers of the unknown.

Rift Bringer
Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, your study of the Astral plane grants you access to the Astral Split subclass feature, which may only be cast once per short/long rest.

At 2nd level, your close studies of the astral sea have left imprints on your mind and body. You gain resistance to psychic damage and gain a bonus to any wisdom skill check equal to your Intelligence modifier. Additionally, if you do not already have proficiency with the arcana skill, you gain proficiency.

Liberation of the Mind
At 6th level, you are able to open your mind to the puzzling nature of the astral sea, allowing you to move less predictably. If your movement would provoke an opportunity attack against you, your opponent gains disadvantage on their attack roll. If their opportunity attack misses, you gain +5 movement until your next turn.

Bane of the Oppressors
Beginning at 10th level, when you cast a spell against a target for the first time, you may choose to take a bonus action to throw a ball of the astral at the target. When you do, make a ranged spell attack against the target. If it succeeds, the target takes an extra 3d8 psychic damage. Once you use this ability, you must take a long rest before it can be used again.

One with the Unknown
Starting at 14th level, your increased knowledge of the Astral Sea has allowed you to create little rifts to walk through, moving yourself around the battlefield. As a bonus action, you may jump in and out of the astral plane to move to an unoccupied space up to 30ft away. If an opponent attempts to make an opportunity attack against you, you gain +3AC until your next turn. If the enemies opportunity attack misses, that enemy takes 6d6 force damage.

Clenching your fist, you create a tear at a point you choose to the astral plane in a 5x5 radius. Any creature other than you that begins its turn at target point must make a dexterity saving throw. A target takes full damage on a failed save, and half as much on a successful one. The affected area counts as difficult terrain for the duration of the spell. The user of this ability may choose to take the maximum radius or a reduced radius (to a minimum of 5x5ft).

@lvl 2: Damage is 3d6, maximum radius is 5x5ft
@lvl 4: Damage is 4d6, maximum radius is 10x10ft
@lvl 6: Damage is 7d6, maximum radius is 10x10ft
@lvl 8: Damage is 8d6,maximum radius is 15x15ft
@lvl 10: Damage is 10d6, maximum radius is 15x15ft
@lvl 12: Damage is 11d6, maximum radius is 20x20ft
@lvl 14: Damage is 13d7, maximum radius is 20x20ft
@lvl 16: Damage is 15d6, maximum radius is 30x30ft
@lvl 18: Damage is 17d6, maximum radius is 30x30ft
@lvl 20: Damage is 20d6, maximum radius is 40x40ft

First impressions are that this is pretty cool. Whilst some features are pretty powerful it isn't close to being the most OP stuff I have seen. Working through the features, my impressions are:

Rift Bringer. This seems to be, by my estimation, just a bit less powerful than a top level spell slot for much of the game. For example level 6 is roughly fireball damage although over a smaller radius but also possibly harder to resist (needs damage type specified). The difficult terrain gets quite powerful - at level 12 a lot of creatures wont be able to cross it in one turn. Persistence without concentration is also powerful (specify duration needed). It isn't massively over the top but it is a pretty damn powerful feature that never gets old. As a short rest recovery I would say it is just a tough on the strong side.

Touches of the astral sea. If this were the only thing you got at level 2 I would say fine... as it is there is a lot at this level with these miscellaneous bonuses. There are some ways to abuse these if you get things like dipping this on a cleric casting dispel magic, and if you allow interactions with things like the backgrounds from Ravnica you can get clerics with counterspell as well (telekinesis is harder to get). Probably not worth it.

Liberation of the mind is fine. About on par for a level 6 wizard ability.

Bane of the oppressors might need some clarification as to targets. Most abilities like this specify single target, which I guess is the intent. As it is it is a nice bonus but once per long rest isn't going to excite. Also the "for the first time" stipulation is a bit odd. Not the first time that day, or month or whatever... I don't like this as it requires bookkeeping to track everyone who has had a spell cast on them. Under normal circumstances this would be tough, but in a world with Raise Dead it would be a nightmare.

One with the unknown seems like it is missing a once per long rest stipulation or something. At will misty step is way too good, even at this level.

Flare325
2020-03-09, 07:39 PM
First impressions are that this is pretty cool. Whilst some features are pretty powerful it isn't close to being the most OP stuff I have seen. Working through the features, my impressions are:

Rift Bringer. This seems to be, by my estimation, just a bit less powerful than a top level spell slot for much of the game. For example level 6 is roughly fireball damage although over a smaller radius but also possibly harder to resist (needs damage type specified). The difficult terrain gets quite powerful - at level 12 a lot of creatures wont be able to cross it in one turn. Persistence without concentration is also powerful (specify duration needed). It isn't massively over the top but it is a pretty damn powerful feature that never gets old. As a short rest recovery I would say it is just a tough on the strong side.

Touches of the astral sea. If this were the only thing you got at level 2 I would say fine... as it is there is a lot at this level with these miscellaneous bonuses. There are some ways to abuse these if you get things like dipping this on a cleric casting dispel magic, and if you allow interactions with things like the backgrounds from Ravnica you can get clerics with counterspell as well (telekinesis is harder to get). Probably not worth it.

Liberation of the mind is fine. About on par for a level 6 wizard ability.

Bane of the oppressors might need some clarification as to targets. Most abilities like this specify single target, which I guess is the intent. As it is it is a nice bonus but once per long rest isn't going to excite. Also the "for the first time" stipulation is a bit odd. Not the first time that day, or month or whatever... I don't like this as it requires bookkeeping to track everyone who has had a spell cast on them. Under normal circumstances this would be tough, but in a world with Raise Dead it would be a nightmare.

One with the unknown seems like it is missing a once per long rest stipulation or something. At will misty step is way too good, even at this level.

Thanks so much for the reply! I'll definitely get rid of the 'for the first time' stipulation, it is a bit odd now that I've thought about it and i'll also go ahead a simplify the targetting a bit more.

Re "Touches of the Astral Sea" feedback, what would you recommend I change/remove from that so it is less OP? I'm still wrapping my head around balancing stuff around the many interesting and creative combos players can come up with.

On the One With the Unknown feedback, would 3x per long rest be too OP still? I like the idea of being able to jump around a few times in combat, especially at the higher levels but again (sorry!) I'm not too sure how I would balance that out. But yes, I totally agree that at will is way too strong.

Finally, I tried to balance the Rift Bringer ability around the average damage dice per spell level, so that it wouldn't just be shunned once a player gets fireball/meteor swarm, hence the difficult terrain also. I'd personally tune it to either being once per long rest OR just reduce the damage a bit. I was also playing around with damage types, as i would like something that fits with the idea of the astral sea spilling into the world (possibly necrotic or just normal force damage? Maybe psychic but I feel like that might make the ability too strong since (from my limited knowledge) not many things actually resist psychic damage).

Once again, thanks so much for replying, It means quite a lot that you've taken time out of your own day to help a random dude down in Australia make his homebrew balanced.

JNAProductions
2020-03-09, 08:46 PM
Touches Of The Astral Sea
Kinda fine? I'm iffy on the massive skill bonus, though.

Liberation Of The Mind
Doesn't feel thematic. Also technically allows for infinite move speed, if you provoke enough AoOs.

Bane Of The Oppressors
Doesn't feel thematic. Also incredibly weak for a once/long rest ability.

One With The Unknown
Doesn't feel thematic. But I guess is okay, balance-wise.

Astral Split
Doesn't specify a duration. Or range. And feels REALLY strong.

Flare325
2020-03-09, 09:03 PM
Touches Of The Astral Sea
Kinda fine? I'm iffy on the massive skill bonus, though.

Liberation Of The Mind
Doesn't feel thematic. Also technically allows for infinite move speed, if you provoke enough AoOs.

Bane Of The Oppressors
Doesn't feel thematic. Also incredibly weak for a once/long rest ability.

One With The Unknown
Doesn't feel thematic. But I guess is okay, balance-wise.

Astral Split
Doesn't specify a duration. Or range. And feels REALLY strong.

Thanks for the reply! The theme I was kinda going for was someone who could 'call' on the otherworldliness of the astral sea to kind of move around the battlefield and hamper+damage enemies, hence the teleporting, movement speed and creating difficult terrain. I was toying around with making it a more melee wizard class (similar to bladesinger), but for the life of me I couldn't think of anything which kinda suited everything else. . I completely forgot to specify the duration and range, but I had it written down in an earlier version as a 1 minute (no concentration) and you could cast it up to 100ft away. If I was to move the skill bonus away from skills and to initiative, would that be more balanced or just better?

MrStabby
2020-03-10, 07:27 AM
Thanks so much for the reply! I'll definitely get rid of the 'for the first time' stipulation, it is a bit odd now that I've thought about it and i'll also go ahead a simplify the targetting a bit more.

Re "Touches of the Astral Sea" feedback, what would you recommend I change/remove from that so it is less OP? I'm still wrapping my head around balancing stuff around the many interesting and creative combos players can come up with.
So I don't think the ability is overpowered... but it does mean that you get a big spike in power at level 2 as you also get the rift bringer/astral split ability. The ability itself is kind of a bit of a hodge podge of different pieces - not bad, but just a little inelegant (although to stress that this type of elegance should be pretty far down the priority list for homebrew, don't sweat it). I also think that this can be stepping on other classes toes quite a bit. If someone plays a cleric to be good at insight, perception, medicine and all that wisdom stuff then let that player be the one good at it. By level 2 a lot of wizards will have a +4 int bonus: at this level this is equivalent to giving expertise in 5 skills to the character - more than the rogue or the bard gets. Psychic damage resistance is probably enough given the other ability you get at this level.

On the One With the Unknown feedback, would 3x per long rest be too OP still? I like the idea of being able to jump around a few times in combat, especially at the higher levels but again (sorry!) I'm not too sure how I would balance that out. But yes, I totally agree that at will is way too strong.

Making it a reaction when hit would work better without adding to bookkeeping. There is a cap to how often it can happen (HP), it uses a reaction rather than a bonus action (stopping shield, absorb elements and counterspell) and it becomes circumstantial rather than ubiquitous. It also provides a more interesting dynamic - that the wizard can be hit without be caught and pinned down in combat. It will make spells like fear a bit better as getting close might be painful but is less likely to be a death sentence.

Finally, I tried to balance the Rift Bringer ability around the average damage dice per spell level, so that it wouldn't just be shunned once a player gets fireball/meteor swarm, hence the difficult terrain also. I'd personally tune it to either being once per long rest OR just reduce the damage a bit. I was also playing around with damage types, as i would like something that fits with the idea of the astral sea spilling into the world (possibly necrotic or just normal force damage? Maybe psychic but I feel like that might make the ability too strong since (from my limited knowledge) not many things actually resist psychic damage).

Not much resists psychic, radiant or force damage. Of these, radiant is the most resisted but also tends to get the most situational bonuses - stopping vampire regeneration, vulnerabilities etc..

I wouldn't worry about the ability being shunned - it is quite a way off that. You don't need it to be equal to the highest level spell a wizard could cast for it to be really powerful, even if only for preserving resources. Compare it to a cleric's channel divinity. Turn undead might be less powerful than a sixth level spell but using your action for that preserves the spell slot for when you really need it later. I would also add that this isn't a spell so your bonus action spells can be cast in the same turn (like misty step).

I really have two issues with it. The first is that it doesn't quite feel right. You throw a great big blob of astral nastyness about feels like an evoker. How do you want this to feel? Is damage what you want this to do? So to me, the interesting things about the astral plane are the gravity and the time. Changing it to alow an area of effect levitate or slow spell would seem to be a stronger theme.

Secondly, when you set the range, there is an opportunity. If this wizard has a mechanical theme of getting a bit closer, dancing up to the edge of melee then cone templates or other short range effects could reinforce this. Getting you to get a bit closer to use the ability.

Once again, thanks so much for replying, It means quite a lot that you've taken time out of your own day to help a random dude down in Australia make his homebrew balanced.

Hey, no problem. Pleased to be of some use.

Flare325
2020-03-10, 09:01 PM
So I don't think the ability is overpowered... but it does mean that you get a big spike in power at level 2 as you also get the rift bringer/astral split ability. The ability itself is kind of a bit of a hodge podge of different pieces - not bad, but just a little inelegant (although to stress that this type of elegance should be pretty far down the priority list for homebrew, don't sweat it). I also think that this can be stepping on other classes toes quite a bit. If someone plays a cleric to be good at insight, perception, medicine and all that wisdom stuff then let that player be the one good at it. By level 2 a lot of wizards will have a +4 int bonus: at this level this is equivalent to giving expertise in 5 skills to the character - more than the rogue or the bard gets. Psychic damage resistance is probably enough given the other ability you get at this level.

So I've now amended this ability to read as follows: At 2nd level, your close studies of the astral sea have left imprints on your mind and body. You gain resistance to psychic damage. Additionally, if you do not already have proficiency with the arcana skill, you gain proficiency.
This seems nice and balanced now

Making it a reaction when hit would work better without adding to bookkeeping. There is a cap to how often it can happen (HP), it uses a reaction rather than a bonus action (stopping shield, absorb elements and counterspell) and it becomes circumstantial rather than ubiquitous. It also provides a more interesting dynamic - that the wizard can be hit without be caught and pinned down in combat. It will make spells like fear a bit better as getting close might be painful but is less likely to be a death sentence.

Totally agree on the bookkeeping, it's now just a reaction rather than a bonus action or anything else

I really have two issues with it. The first is that it doesn't quite feel right. You throw a great big blob of astral nastyness about feels like an evoker. How do you want this to feel? Is damage what you want this to do? So to me, the interesting things about the astral plane are the gravity and the time. Changing it to alow an area of effect levitate or slow spell would seem to be a stronger theme.

Secondly, when you set the range, there is an opportunity. If this wizard has a mechanical theme of getting a bit closer, dancing up to the edge of melee then cone templates or other short range effects could reinforce this. Getting you to get a bit closer to use the ability.

So I've completely reworked this and another one of the class features to play around more with this: harder to hit wizard who zips around and performs a more crowd control role than a damaging role. First up, astral split:

It now reads as follows: Splitting your arms apart,, you create a tear to the astral plane in a 15ft cone. Any medium or smaller creature other than you who is caught in the cone must make a constitution saving throw. If they fail their save, they begin levitating above the cones radius, their movement becomes 0 and they become incapacitated. At the start of their turn, they may make a constitution saving throw to end the effect. The effect ends after 30 seconds or if the caster becomes incapacitated. Additionally, any ranged spell attacks you make against a target that is affected have advantage to hit. After using this ability, you must take a long rest before it can be used again.

This is how I'm making the spell scale by level, aditionally, each increase comes with an added benefit
@lvl 2: Range = 15ft,
The ability can also affect large creatures, but they have advantage on their saving throw
@lvl 4: Range = 15ft, Any creature that escapes the condition must make a wisdom saving throw, if it fails, they are frightened for 30 seconds
@lvl 6: Range = 20ft, Large creates no longer have saving throw advantage
@lvl 8: Range = 20ft, ALL Ranged attacks against a target caught in the effect have advantage to hit
@lvl 10: Range = 25ft, Effect increases to 60 second duration
@lvl 12: Range = 25ft, The ability can now affect huge creatures, but they have advantage on their saving throw
@lvl 14: Range = 30ft, This ability can now be used twice before requiring a long rest
@lvl 16: Range = 30ft, Any creature who isn’t affected by the levitation cone must make a wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 30 seconds
@lvl 18: Range = 35ft, Huge creatures no longer have saving throw advantage
@lvl 20: Range = 40ft, Can now affect Gargantuan creatures (if they are not larger than the abilities range), they have advantage on their saving throw

Finally, I have reworked Bane of the Oppressors, but I may change the name to be a bit more thematic. It now reads: Beginning at 10th level, your body becomes more attuned to the harsh nature of the Astral Sea. After a long rest, you may choose a damage type. Until your next long rest, you gain resistance to that damage type, and whenever you are hit with damage of that type you regain hit points equal to 1d6 + your constitution modifier.

I felt that this fit in more thematically with the new Astral mage, as opposed to just throwing blobs of damage at things. Now it all fits in more with a theme of moving around the battlefield and harassing enemies more than just throwing damage.

JNAProductions
2020-03-10, 09:36 PM
Select Bludgeoning.

Punch yourself with your spindly Wizard arms for 1 damage. Gain 1d6+Con mod HP.

Flare325
2020-03-11, 01:02 AM
Select Bludgeoning.

Punch yourself with your spindly Wizard arms for 1 damage. Gain 1d6+Con mod HP.

Sometimes I feel really stupid! But hey, you guys are here to help me not be stupid right?.....right??
Anyway, yeah, that's something I never even thought about. I'm struggling to think of a useful lvl 10 wizard feature that I can put there which fits thematically. Most of the things I've been thinking of have either not fit with the new iteration of the theme or were just too much bookkeeping.

For example, I though about having like three 'charges' of an ability that can be used to strike back at an enemy who attempted to hit you, but I couldn't get a good feel for how to balance it and it felt like it would just be more bookkeeping. I'll definitely have to keep toying around with that feature to find one which fits. Maybe even placing down some sort of wall/shield/blinding effect?

D&D_Fan
2020-03-11, 01:36 PM
What if there was an ability that would allow you to change the damage type of spells to the same damage type you choose for Bane of Opressors. Only one 5e monster (Master of Souls) can change the damage types of spells, and I think it would be a cool ability. Proposed name Astral Spells.

Flare325
2020-03-11, 06:17 PM
What if there was an ability that would allow you to change the damage type of spells to the same damage type you choose for Bane of Opressors. Only one 5e monster (Master of Souls) can change the damage types of spells, and I think it would be a cool ability. Proposed name Astral Spells.

Possibly, but might not be too balanced. Maybe BoO can become something that boosts the AC of the wizard and punishes enemies who hit the wizard with melee.

Flare325
2020-03-11, 10:29 PM
Okay, I've now fixed up Bane of the Oppresors to read as follows (damn balancing stuff is hard, hopefully this fits thematically AND isn't OP for lvl 10)
Bane of the Oppresors
Beginning at 10th level, your body becomes more attuned to the harsh nature of the Astral Sea. Your AC becomes equal to 12 + your intelligence modifier if you are not wearing any armor. Additionally, when a character makes a melee attack against you and hits, they are blinded until the end of their next turn.

Flare325
2020-03-17, 12:51 AM
Hi all,

I think I've fully balanced this out, but I thought I'd ask what your thoughts on it are in order to fully make sure it's balanced and most importantly, fun. Here goes it!

Rift Bringer
Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, your study of the Astral plane grants you access to the Astral Split subclass feature, which may only be cast once per long rest.

At 2nd level, your close studies of the astral sea have left imprints on your mind and body. You gain resistance to psychic damage. Additionally, if you do not already have proficiency with the arcana skill, you gain proficiency.

Liberation of the Mind

Shield of the Sea
Beginning at 10th level, your body becomes more attuned to the harsh nature of the Astral Sea. Darkness seems to drip off your body when drawing on your magic, and when a character makes a melee attack against you and hits, you may use a reaction to blind the target until the end of your next turn. Additionally, when a character is blinded during combat, you gain +5 movement speed.

Rift Walker
Starting at 14th level, your increased knowledge of the Astral Sea has allowed you to create little rifts to walk through, moving yourself around the battlefield. As a reaction, you may jump in and out of the astral plane to move to an unoccupied space up to 30ft away. If an opponent attempts to make an opportunity attack against you, you gain +3AC until your next turn. If the enemies opportunity attack misses, that enemy takes 6d6 force damage.

Splitting your arms apart,, you create a tear to the astral plane in a 15ft cone. Any medium or smaller creature other than you who is caught in the cone must make a constitution saving throw. If they fail their save, they begin levitating above the cones radius, their movement becomes 0 and they become incapacitated. At the start of their turn, they may make a constitution saving throw to end the effect. The effect ends after 30 seconds or if the caster becomes incapacitated. Additionally, any ranged spell attacks you make against a target that is affected have advantage to hit. After using this ability, you must take a long rest before it can be used again.

@lvl 2: Range = 15ft,
The ability can also affect large creatures, but they have advantage on their saving throw
@lvl 4: Range = 15ft, Any creature that escapes the condition must make a wisdom saving throw, if it fails, they are frightened for 30 seconds
@lvl 6: Range = 20ft, Large creates no longer have saving throw advantage
@lvl 8: Range = 20ft, ALL Ranged attacks against a target caught in the effect have advantage to hit
@lvl 10: Range = 25ft, Effect increases to 60 second duration
@lvl 12: Range = 25ft, The ability can now affect huge creatures, but they have advantage on their saving throw
@lvl 14: Range = 30ft, This ability can now be used twice before requiring a long rest
@lvl 16: Range = 30ft, Any creature who isn’t affected by the levitation cone must make a wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 30 seconds
@lvl 18: Range = 35ft, Huge creatures no longer have saving throw advantage
@lvl 20: Range = 40ft, Can now affect Gargantuan creatures (if they are not larger than the abilities range), they have advantage on their saving throw

Thanks again for all your feedback.