PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Wandslingers: What are they and what are interestign ones?

suplee215
2020-03-10, 12:28 PM
I am starting a new Eberron Campaign. My first time DMing and one of my players is playing one. I cannot find a lot of info on them online or the Rising out of The Last War. Is it safe to think of a Wandslinger as just any spell caster who uses a wand? perhaps with a bit of a gunslinger idea thrown in? THis seems like a relatively new introduction to Eberron, is it?

Also due to this discussion I also came up with an idea for 6 NPCs who make up a Wandslinger trick show circus type thing. Like old west gunslinger shows like Calamity Jane. So far I have a few ideas. I am looking for six of them because I want to name them "The Six Shooters" because I am o so clever. A warlock with eldritch blast seems like the typical "shoot 6 guys dead before they know" trope and I'm adding him in to be part of a player's backstory as well. An artificer Artirillest seems obvious as well and a warforged one just screams Eberron. I am also including an Ice Dragonblood Sorcerer as the AOE/Shotgun guy. While not a wandslinger, I am also including a Sunsoul Monk who gives finger guns when she does sun bolts as it feels in the spirit. Any suggestions or favorite builds?

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-10, 12:45 PM
I laugh, because the most lethal of them all would just be a Battlemaster with Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter.

Imagine all these guys shooting lasers and fireballs, and the scariest guy in the room is...just a guy. Talk sh** and he'll sweep your legs out from under you before putting two in your head.

Inquisitive Rogue has the interesting benefit of being able to land his Sneak Attacks at any range, without the help of an ally. Max out his stealth, and you're dealing with a world-class Sniper. That one The End boss fight from Metal Gear Solid comes to mind.

And it's hard to consider a ranged gunner without including the Arcane Archer, using specialty rounds to take down any kind of target he needs to.

As for specifically magic stuff, it's hard to go wrong with a Sorlock. Treat his Hex and Hexblade's Curse as several forms of lock-on effects before casting Twinned Eldritch Blast for insane levels of damage.

You can also make a decent Magic Missile build by combining the Arcane Cleric with Hexblade, using the Warlock spell slots to fuel your Magic Missiles from the Arcane Cleric, further enhanced by Hexblade's Curse for each shot.

JackPhoenix
2020-03-10, 12:51 PM
Wandslinger is simply a spellcaster (or someone with Magic Initiate/NPC with few cantrips) fluffed as requiring a wand to cast spells. The name is new, but the idea isn't.... in 3.5, it was a magewright with a wand.

I laugh, because the most lethal of them all would just be a Battlemaster with Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter.

Imagine all these guys shooting lasers and fireballs, and the scariest guy in the room is...just a guy. Talk sh** and he'll sweep your legs out from under you before putting two in your head.

That "just a guy" is a PC, though. That makes him exceptional by default.