PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feedback requested: Reworking the Warlock Pacts: Chain & Blade

Jathaan
2020-03-10, 12:37 PM
I'm a new GM preparing for the first game I get to run, and I'm not satisfied with the PHB warlock - in particular, Pact of the Chain and Pact of the Blade. This is my first attempt to homebrew anything, and I'm looking for advice. Thank you in advance for your input; I want to make sure we end up with something my players can enjoy playing and not feel like they had to sacrifice in-game utility for flavor.
Are the following re-written pacts and invocations something you would allow at your table? Why or why not?

My reasoning for the changes:
Pact of the Chain strikes me as kinda useless after tier 2 play. Your little minion is squishy and easy to hit. Yes it can attack, unlike the generic familiar; the Sprite for instance can do a whopping 1 slashing or piercing damage, with a slight chance of a poisoned effect. Even at third level, that's not going to be much of a contribution. Pact of the Chain seems like an opportunity to play a battle summoner who calls up magical beasts to do his fighting for him. Instead, Chainlocks have a scout minion that is going to be less and less effective or necessary at higher levels of play.

Chainlocks don't get the the wide out of combat ritual utility of Tomelocks or the melee options of Bladelocks; their familiar is their thing, and it's a shame it's so bland and useless. I'd like to make the Chainlock familiar much more useful in combat, and scale with their warlock level.

Pact of the Blade shouldn't have to be Hexblade just to be useful in combat. I think that's about it. You should be able to play a GOO bladelock, or a Archfey bladelock, and be equally effective in melee once your spells run out.

I've looked at other homebrew overhauls of the class, particularly dracodruid's Promised Warlock on GMBinder and Segev's modular hexblade dissection/overhaul on this site. I liked several things about the Promised, and started by re-writing elements of that to better fit what I wanted; I'm not sure how much of their work is left in what I'm presenting, frankly, since I've gone to much more of an invocation based system, but credit where it's due. The rewrite changed significantly after reading Segev's work, but I'm not sure what specifically I lifted from him. Mostly a focus on making the powers optional invocations, rather than automatically gained by level.

Rewritten pacts:
Pact of the Chain
This boon gives the warlock a faithful minion, a magical creature who will fight their battles for them. Warlocks that take this boon are driven to be the very best, like no-one ever was before them.
At 3rd level, you can cast the find familiar spell at will without expending a spell slot or material components.
When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following special forms: mephit (any), pseudodragon, sprite, or any other tiny creature CR1 or lower appropriate to your Patron, subject to the GM’s approval.
You can communicate telepathically with your familiar and perceive through your familiar's senses as long as you are on the same plane of existence. While perceiving through your familiar's senses, you can also speak through your familiar in your own voice, even if your familiar is normally incapable of speech.
Your familiar acts in combat on its own turn of initiative, immediately after yours, and acts on your telepathic or spoken orders. Unlike familiars summoned by any other class, your familiar may make attacks and other actions as shown in its stat block. If you do not give it any orders, it will defend itself if attacked but otherwise take the dodge action.

Master’s Right Hand
Beginning at 5th level, the connection between you and your familiar strengthens. Your familiar can now use its action to cast any cantrip you know, though the cantrip does not benefit from any of your Invocations. In addition, any attacks it makes are considered magical for the purposes of overcoming magical resistance.

Pact of the Blade
Warlocks driven by the pursuit of physical might often were weak before forging their pact. They brave the perilous and uncertain path of service to their patron for one thing - never being helpless again.
At 3rd level, you can transform any one weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest, holding the weapon the entire time. You can transform any normal or magical weapon; however, you can’t affect an artifact or a sentient weapon in this way. You are proficient in the use of this weapon while it is your pact weapon.
Your pact weapon grants the following benefits:
You can use a bonus action to summon your pact weapon into your hand or dismiss it into an extradimensional space.
The pact weapon counts as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical attacks and damage.
You can use your pact weapon as a spellcasting focus for your warlock spells.
When making a weapon attack with your pact weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier instead of Strength or Dexterity for the attack and damage rolls.
The weapon ceases being your pact weapon if you die, if you perform the 1-hour ritual on a different weapon, or if you use a 1-hour ritual to break your bond to it. The weapon appears at your feet if it is in the extradimensional space when the bond breaks.

Thirsting Blade
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack with your pact weapon twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
If you possess the Extra Attack feature from another class, you don't gain an additional attack from Thirsting Blade.

2nd Level Invocations

Unearthly Dodge
Your AC is 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Charisma modifier unless you are wearing armor. A shield's benefits apply as normal.

5th Level Invocations

To Train Them Is My Cause
(Pact of the Chain)
Your familiar can now be any Small or Tiny creature CR2 or less, subject to DM approval.

Unearthly Mark
As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 hour. The curse ends early if you die or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20. When you hit the cursed creature with an attack, your weapon or spell does additional damage equal to your warlock level. If the target dies before the curse ends, you may use a bonus action to move the mark to another target. You can't use this invocation again until you finish a short or long rest.

Witchblade
(Pact of the Blade)
Your pact weapon gains a +1 bonus to its attack and damage rolls, unless it is a magic weapon that already has a bonus to those rolls.

9th Level Invocations

Shadowblade
(Pact of the Blade)
Your pact weapon takes on a shadowy and insubstantial appearance. When you use your pact weapon to attack a target that is in dim light or darkness, you make the attack roll with advantage. Your pact weapon gains a +2 bonus to its attack and damage rolls, unless it is a magic weapon that already has a bonus to those rolls. This does not stack with Witchblade.

The Power That’s Inside
(Pact of the Chain)
Your familiar can now be any Medium or smaller creature CR2 or less, subject to DM approval. You may use your familiar as a mount if they are at least one size larger than you and capable of being ridden.

Unearthly Armor
If the target cursed by a spell or a warlock feature of yours - such as Hex, Unearthly Mark, or Sign of Ill Omen - hits you with an attack roll, you can use your reaction to roll a d6. On a 4 or higher, the attack instead misses you, regardless of its roll.

12th Level Invocations

Lifedrinker
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, the creature takes extra necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) and you gain an equal amount of temporary hit points. The creature's resistance, immunity, or vulnerability to necrotic damage also affects the amount of temporary hit points you gain.

15th Level Invocations

Ghostblade
(Pact of the Blade)
Your pact weapon takes on a faintly luminous and insubstantial appearance. When you hit a creature with an attack with your pact weapon, it must succeed on a Charisma saving throw against your spell DC or be frightened of you until the end of it’s next turn. Your pact weapon gains a +3 bonus to its attack and damage rolls, unless it is a magic weapon that already has a bonus to those rolls. This does not stack with Witchblade or Shadowblade.

Hungering Blade
You may now attack three times with your pact weapon when you take the Attack action. This does not stack with Thirsting Blade or any extra attacks you may get from another class feature.

To Protect The World From Devastation
(Pact of the Chain)
Your familiar can now be any Large or smaller creature CR3 or less, subject to DM approval. You may use your familiar as a mount if they are at least one size larger than you and capable of being ridden.

18th Level Invocations

To Extend Our Reach To The Stars Above
(Pact of the Chain)
Your familiar can now be any Huge or smaller creature CR5 or less, subject to DM approval.

Segev
2020-03-12, 11:28 AM
Part of the question to be asked here, I think, is whether Pact of the Chain is supposed to be providing a powerful combat-ally, or a utility tool that happens to have occasional combat application. It is worth noting that nothing prevents a familiar from wearing stat-boosting items, if you want to beef up the DC of things like the Sprite's poison. (Not sure that's worthwhile.)

If you ARE going to see the Chainlock's familiar as a combatant, you have to consider it compared to another subclass devoted to an animal companion: how does it stack up to the Beastmaster Ranger? I haven't actually done that examination, but I'll note that the Beastmaster is oft considered too weak as a subclass, due to the lack of extra action economy (doubtless there precisely to avoid creating an overpowered situation) and the lack of options and strength in the minion. Is the Chainlock's familiar now stronger than a Beastmaster's animal companion? (I suspect, but am not sure, that the original progression was based on the Beastmaster.)

I suspect that these modifications will work in a home game, especially one where the warlock isn't directly competing with another PC in anotehr class for a niche. You can get away with a LOT of customization of classes and subclasses in specific that would be broken in general.

On Pact of the Blade, I actually think it loses something nifty when you have to bond a specific weapon. The core Bladepact ALLOWS you to do this, but that's more to let a warlock not feel a competition between his cool class feature and this really cool weapon he's found. The revised blade bond/summoning feels more like the Eldrich Knight's trick with a bonded weapon, and is less exciting because it's more same-y, at least to me.

I will have to defer to other posters on whether removing the invocation tax for extra attack is a good move or not. I don't deny it's a tax: a bladepact warlock all but certainly will want it. But is "being a full gish" something that should come at the opportunity cost of another invocation? I don't know.

Yakk
2020-03-12, 12:32 PM
When making a weapon attack with your pact weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier instead of Strength or Dexterity for the attack and damage rolls.
I kept Str/Dex to damage, but they also gain +1/2 Charisma to damage.

So Cha to hit, and either Str or Dex, plus 1/2 Cha, to damage.

This makes them only a touch more MAD, but with a 14 str or dex they can manage +4 damage with 18 cha.

For Pact of the Chain I took a page from some of the new pet classes.

Your familiar gains:
* Your proficiency bonus to attack, damage, save DCs, saves, wisdom(perception) and dexterity(stealth) checks, any other skills it is trained in, and AC.
* +3 HP per warlock class level.

At level 20 they have +60 HP, +6 AC, +6 Attack, +6 damage, +6 to all saves, +6 DCs.

Starting with an Imp, it has 70 HP, 19 AC, +11 attack, 11 damage, DC 17 con save for half of 16 damage. Worth a bonus action to attack with, and durable enough to survive a swipe or two from CR 20+ creatures.

---

Another idea for Chain is to look at the Druid and Moon Druid for inspiration. But sadly, the set of tiny/small fiends, fey, dragons, elementals, celestials, undead, plants, monstrosities that are CR 1-4 is pretty tiny. And there are no CR 5/6 creatures that fit.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-12, 02:22 PM
Instead of changing pact of the chain, as I see it as not really a combat sort of feature to begin with, how about creating a "summon greater familiar" as a 6th level spell or allow find Familiar to be upcast to 6th level. Have it where this is a more combat option for Warlocks and Wizards, but the chain pact warlock gets a better list. The warlock can take this spell as part of the mystic arcarnum.

Jathaan
2020-03-13, 09:03 AM
Thank you all for your advice; this has been very helpful.

Part of the question to be asked here, I think, is whether Pact of the Chain is supposed to be providing a powerful combat-ally, or a utility tool that happens to have occasional combat application. It is worth noting that nothing prevents a familiar from wearing stat-boosting items, if you want to beef up the DC of things like the Sprite's poison. (Not sure that's worthwhile.)

From the complete lack of combat-focused Chain invocations, and the fact that if your familiar attacks it uses your action to do so, I'm going to guess that the original intent was utility out of combat. My intent to make the class do things it was not intended to do may be the problem here.

If you ARE going to see the Chainlock's familiar as a combatant, you have to consider it compared to another subclass devoted to an animal companion: how does it stack up to the Beastmaster Ranger? I haven't actually done that examination, but I'll note that the Beastmaster is oft considered too weak as a subclass, due to the lack of extra action economy (doubtless there precisely to avoid creating an overpowered situation) and the lack of options and strength in the minion. Is the Chainlock's familiar now stronger than a Beastmaster's animal companion?

That's a great point; I hadn't yet done a comparison to see how this lines up with other classes.

Revised Chain familiar:
Level 3: Tiny, CR1, has own attack
Level 5: Small, CR2, magical attacks, cantrips,
Level 9: Medium, CR2
Level 15: Large, CR3
Level 18: Huge, CR5

Ranger Beastmaster:
Level 3: Medium, CR 1/4; at least 12HP (uses your prof. bonus to attacks, damage, AC, etc.) Uses your action to attack.
Level 5: Medium, CR 1/4; at least 20HP
Level 10: 40HP
Level 15: 60HP
Level 20: 80HP

UA Ranger Beast Conclave:
Level 3: Medium, CR 1/2 (Black Bear) No multiattack, but has own attack action.
Level 5: Reaction attack
Level 11: Attack everyone around
Level 15: Reduces incoming damage on reaction

Druid Circle of the Moon:
Level 2: CR 1
Level 5: CR 2
Level 10: CR 3
Level 15: CR 5
Level 20: CR 6

So, you're right; this feature would be significantly more powerful than either of the ranger's companion options, and is pretty much in line with the Moon druid's Wildshape. That could be a bad thing, since the familiar could be stronger than some of the actual party members.

On Pact of the Blade, I actually think it loses something nifty when you have to bond a specific weapon.

On reflection, I agree; I'll restore this feature.

I kept Str/Dex to damage, but they also gain +1/2 Charisma to damage.

So Cha to hit, and either Str or Dex, plus 1/2 Cha, to damage.

This makes them only a touch more MAD, but with a 14 str or dex they can manage +4 damage with 18 cha.

That'd work. I like the Hexblade's weird ability to be the Charisma-based fighter, so I'm not sure I'll change that.

For Pact of the Chain I took a page from some of the new pet classes.

Your familiar gains:
* Your proficiency bonus to attack, damage, save DCs, saves, wisdom(perception) and dexterity(stealth) checks, any other skills it is trained in, and AC.
* +3 HP per warlock class level.

At level 20 they have +60 HP, +6 AC, +6 Attack, +6 damage, +6 to all saves, +6 DCs.

Starting with an Imp, it has 70 HP, 19 AC, +11 attack, 11 damage, DC 17 con save for half of 16 damage. Worth a bonus action to attack with, and durable enough to survive a swipe or two from CR 20+ creatures.

I like this. It scales with the warlock level, so it doesn't become ineffective in upper tiers of play. It's not going to be a front line fighter, but it'd give the familiar the ability to take a hit or two; 3rd level when you get the familiar, it already has 9 extra HP. I might raise the initial CR to 1/2 to be more in line with the Ranger's companions and give more creature options for the familiar, but this is good.

Instead of changing pact of the chain, as I see it as not really a combat sort of feature to begin with, how about creating a "summon greater familiar" as a 6th level spell or allow find Familiar to be upcast to 6th level. Have it where this is a more combat option for Warlocks and Wizards, but the chain pact warlock gets a better list. The warlock can take this spell as part of the mystic arcarnum.

That would certainly work, if I were satisfied with Chain pact not being a combat feature.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-13, 09:09 AM
Thank you all for your advice; this has been very helpful.

From the complete lack of combat-focused Chain invocations, and the fact that if your familiar attacks it uses your action to do so, I'm going to guess that the original intent was utility out of combat. My intent to make the class do things it was not intended to do may be the problem here.

That's a great point; I hadn't yet done a comparison to see how this lines up with other classes.

Revised Chain familiar:
Level 3: Tiny, CR1, has own attack
Level 5: Small, CR2, magical attacks, cantrips,
Level 9: Medium, CR2
Level 15: Large, CR3
Level 18: Huge, CR5

Ranger Beastmaster:
Level 3: Medium, CR 1/4; at least 12HP (uses your prof. bonus to attacks, damage, AC, etc.) Uses your action to attack.
Level 5: Medium, CR 1/4; at least 20HP
Level 10: 40HP
Level 15: 60HP
Level 20: 80HP

UA Ranger Beast Conclave:
Level 3: Medium, CR 1/2 (Black Bear) No multiattack, but has own attack action.
Level 5: Reaction attack
Level 11: Attack everyone around
Level 15: Reduces incoming damage on reaction

Druid Circle of the Moon:
Level 2: CR 1
Level 5: CR 2
Level 10: CR 3
Level 15: CR 5
Level 20: CR 6

So, you're right; this feature would be significantly more powerful than either of the ranger's companion options, and is pretty much in line with the Moon druid's Wildshape. That could be a bad thing, since the familiar could be stronger than some of the actual party members.

On reflection, I agree; I'll restore this feature.

That'd work. I like the Hexblade's weird ability to be the Charisma-based fighter, so I'm not sure I'll change that.

I like this. It scales with the warlock level, so it doesn't become ineffective in upper tiers of play. It's not going to be a front line fighter, but it'd give the familiar the ability to take a hit or two; 3rd level when you get the familiar, it already has 9 extra HP. I might raise the initial CR to 1/2 to be more in line with the Ranger's companions and give more creature options for the familiar, but this is good.

That would certainly work, if I were satisfied with Chain pact not being a combat feature.

Well, that's why I suggested making a spell, 6th level Improved familiar spell could give combat options.

Segev
2020-03-13, 09:37 AM
When measuring balance against other class options, it’s worth noting that the Beastmaster Ranger is widely considered quite underpowered. I think the Beast Conclave is an effort to fix it, but I don’t know if it succeeded. I’m not as good at evaluating power level in 5e as I am in 3.PF. But even I thought Beastmaster was weak.

The Chain familiar is tricky to pin down because it does get some attack options that normal familiars don’t. I think that’s because lacking the ability to attack at all renders some of the features they have useless. (Though it makes some familiar choices that might otherwise be at least a little competitive into worthless, using base familiar rules. Not that there aren’t some that are just never worth it even if they could attack.)

But defining what utility they “should” have is also difficult. Mostly? They seem like scouts. Though the right invocation lets them be emissaries and proxies for communication, and since resummoning them is relatively cheap, that’s valuable in certain circumstances.

I think reworking any of the pacts requires asking what role or roles they’re to play. If you think you e come up with too many, making it too powerful, break up those roles into pieces that can be made invocations. Then the warlock builds that role by picking invocations.

If you think you’re stepping on other subclasses’ toes with any of it, consider whether those need buffs of their own, or you need to tone it back.

For a home game, though, you can be a lot more lenient. You only need to balance for your table, not across the whole system.

If nobody is wanting to play a Beastmaster Ranger, for example, a combat-focused Chain familiar may not hurt anything (as long as it wasn’t overwhelming every encounter). If someone did want a Beastmaster Ranger, you could customize it however you liked for your party without worrying about overall game balance. Just balance for your table.