PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Armorer Build Idea

Galithar
2020-03-10, 02:14 PM
So I thought of an idea for my current Armorer Artificer (recent UA. I'll out relevant details below so you don't have to look it up if you're not familiar) and wanted to see what the playground thinks.

In Infiltrator mode I have the Lightning Launcher. It counts as a simple ranged weapon range 90/300. With a pseudo sneak attack (once per turn extra d6 on hit). Now the problem is that I have a naturally high AC due to wearing heavy armor and my infusions (at level 9 I get 2 Infusion slots that must be used on my armor so one of those will be the +1 (or 2 at level 10) AC. This makes me want to be in the enemies face pulling attacks away from my lower AC allies and gives me disadvantage on my ranged attacks. If I take XBE I can get rid of the disadvantage, but due to using a shield I would only get to fire the hand crossbow shot once per combat AND it would be made with Dex (+2) versus my Int (+5). Would it be worth it to take the feat knowing that I'm only benefiting from one of it's bullet points most of the time? And is there a better way to go about circumventing the disadvantage on my lightning launcher attacks in melee?

I am considering this because I'm also considering a level dip into Rogue for expertise and will pick up sneak attack which will only be applicable when I'm using my lightning launcher.

Ventruenox
2020-03-10, 02:39 PM
There are a couple ways to make that happen. Keep in mind that the Armorer has the Guardian mode built in to switch on long rest if you want to mix it up in melee instead of using your Lightning Launcher, but I digress.

You could spend a feat for Crossbow Expert, or you can utilize any of the dozens of methods to generate advantage to cancel out the disadvantage. The UA Cunning Action: Aim (https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-ClassFeatures.pdf) is a repeatable and reliable way that would fit your requirements.

Galithar
2020-03-10, 02:43 PM
Armor mode also switches on short rests. Cunning Action Aim would require a second level of Rogue though, and I was planning on just dipping one for the skills. It might just not be worth pursuing as I have plenty of other things I could use an ASI for. +1 Dex and Wis to even them both out for starters. +1 to two important saves is looking more valuable to me then being able to melee in Infiltrator mode the more I think about it haha.

Dork_Forge
2020-03-10, 02:51 PM
You can get the best of both worlds, if you take the feat and use the Repeating Shot Infusion then you'll offset your lower Dex and the need to load the hxb. You can then attack once with your chest mounted Lightning Launcher (getting the bonus damage), then twice with the hxb (Extra attack and bonus action attack). This lets you pull off three attacks regardless of being in melee.

AgenderArcee
2020-03-10, 03:17 PM
If you want to be in melee why not just use Guardian mode?

Galithar
2020-03-10, 03:28 PM
If you want to be in melee why not just use Guardian mode?

For the sneak attack if I dip rogue and to not have disadvantage on stealth checks. Guardian mode is a distinct possibility and how I initially planned the character. I'm just looking for other ways to see if I can find something fun and still effective.

Good point about repeating infusion! I'd completely forgot about that. I'd still be significantly below my lightning launcher attack bonus though as it can have a +1 or 2 infusion on it as well. Plus since infusions must be on non-magical items it would prevent me from ever using a magic crossbow.

Taboomantis
2020-03-10, 04:58 PM
Good point about repeating infusion! I'd completely forgot about that. I'd still be significantly below my lightning launcher attack bonus though as it can have a +1 or 2 infusion on it as well. Plus since infusions must be on non-magical items it would prevent me from ever using a magic crossbow.

You can only have one infusion on an item. Repeating shot comes with +1 built in. You can't do the +2,as that will overwrite repeating shot.

Edit:oh you meant infusion on lighting attack, nvm.

TWF states you have to make the attack action with a weapon you are holding in your hand. You are going to need 2 hand x-bows, one for each hand. Then you can attack with Chest mounted crystal as your second attack.

If you were at my table I would let you use lighting launcher in your main hand and then Bonus attack with your left Hand x-bow..

Dork_Forge
2020-03-10, 06:47 PM
You can only have one infusion on an item. Repeating shot comes with +1 built in. You can't do the +2,as that will overwrite repeating shot.

Edit:oh you meant infusion on lighting attack, nvm.

TWF states you have to make the attack action with a weapon you are holding in your hand. You are going to need 2 hand x-bows, one for each hand. Then you can attack with Chest mounted crystal as your second attack.

If you were at my table I would let you use lighting launcher in your main hand and then Bonus attack with your left Hand x-bow..

The bonus action attack is granted by the Crossbow Expert feat, not the Two Weapon Fighting rules, those rules require light melee weapons. He can wield a shield on one arm, a hand crossbow on the other and a lightning cannon in his chest per the UA and fight without any hindrances.

Dork_Forge
2020-03-10, 06:49 PM

A magic crossbow that isn't simply a +X boost wouldnt be common unless your DM is tailoring to you and even then I wouldn't bet on it. You can use Repeating Shot in your crossbow and Enhanced Weapon on your lightning cannon, the crossbow won't be as effective but the number of attracts should compensate.

Taboomantis
2020-03-11, 11:59 AM
The bonus action attack is granted by the Crossbow Expert feat, not the Two Weapon Fighting rules, those rules require light melee weapons. He can wield a shield on one arm, a hand crossbow on the other and a lightning cannon in his chest per the UA and fight without any hindrances.

The third item on xbow expert states you have to take the attack with a weapon you are holding in your hand. And this then allows you to take a bonus action with a hand crossbow.
Attack 1 - hand xbow
Bonus action - hand xbow
Attack 2 - chest.

Do Armorers get martial weapon proficiency? These are martial.

Dork_Forge
2020-03-11, 02:19 PM
The third item on xbow expert states you have to take the attack with a weapon you are holding in your hand. And this then allows you to take a bonus action with a hand crossbow.
Attack 1 - hand xbow
Bonus action - hand xbow
Attack 2 - chest.

Do Armorers get martial weapon proficiency? These are martial.

I mean, it doesn't actually matter what order you do them in and you didn't really say anything that disagreed with me? It doesn't matter if you go chest>hxb>hxb(ba), as long as one of your attack action attacks uses a one handed weapon you're holding you're golden. Maybe I just misunderstood but it seemed like you were correcting me.

They don't get martial prof, but there's multiple races that could provide that proficiency (whether it's specifically hxb like the Drow, or martial choice like the Hobgoblin). I assumed that the OP was taking care of prof in some way when they asked if it was worth it.

Taboomantis
2020-03-11, 02:44 PM
I mean, it doesn't actually matter what order you do them in and you didn't really say anything that disagreed with me? It doesn't matter if you go chest>hxb>hxb(ba), as long as one of your attack action attacks uses a one handed weapon you're holding you're golden. Maybe I just misunderstood but it seemed like you were correcting me.

They don't get martial prof, but there's multiple races that could provide that proficiency (whether it's specifically hxb like the Drow, or martial choice like the Hobgoblin). I assumed that the OP was taking care of prof in some way when they asked if it was worth it.

I think xbow expert bonus attack is triggered from an attack with a weapon in your main hand. Is that attack 1 or 2, you are right, doesn't matter.

Quoz
2020-03-12, 03:18 AM
If you are already using UA, why not a bit more? Pick up a dip in fighter and take close quarters shooter as a fighting style. + 1 to range attack rolls and no penalty for attacking adjacent creatures.

Alternatively, just shoot people other than the one you're standing in front of. No penalty and it's a great way to draw aggro.

Galithar
2020-03-12, 03:21 AM
Alternatively, just shoot people other than the one you're standing in front of. No penalty and it's a great way to draw aggro.

That's not how it works. You have disadvantage on ranged attack rolls if an enemy (any enemy) is within 5 feet of you, not if the target is.