PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Items Help

GigaGuess
2020-03-10, 03:53 PM
I am trying to cook up a series of items for my characters, intended to grow as the characters progress. They will start off as items that are corrupted, so they start as just being super cursed, and once cleansed, they are a magical item of modest power, needing to be rejuvenated. They will grow one or two levels to full power (endgame intent, here) Where they ascend to Legendary power levels.

For reference, this is what I am thinking:
Cleric's item is from a Guardian god, so he will get Plate Mail
Wizard's item is from the god I call the Dreamer, a sleeping dragon. No idea what to give him, but he's a Psionic Wizard
Paladin's God is a Nature Goddess. Thinking his item will be some sort of funky shield.
Rogue's God is a Trickster God. Thinking of giving him either a dagger or a rapier.
Hexblade's god is the Regen, as I refer to him. Gonna give him a long/greatsword.
Ranger's God is a Wanderer God. Not fully certain what to give him, as he's new and fuzzy on where he wants his build to go. Either a Bow or a Cloak, I'm thinking.
Monk's God is a Knowledge God, am I'm thinking of giving him hand wraps, potentially?

To the crux of my question, I suppose is...how would you control the growth of these items? 4 tier for weapons seems clear to me as:

1.) Cursed
2.) +1, minor perk
3.) +2, a couple cool things
4.) +3, major perk(s)

Bur for armour and misc items, no idea how to run those.

And any hints on appropriate curses for the items would be appreciated, too...all I can think of off the top of my head is the Armour brings Hypervigilance, and blocks rest.

Quoz
2020-03-11, 04:21 AM
This is pure first look rambling, so take it as you will:

Cleric, Guardian plate
Curse: the first attack targeting him each round gets advantage.
1st boon: becomes +1. 1/day, may cast shield spell to affect an adjacent ally as a reaction.
2nd boon: becomes +2, gains the ability to cast Warding Bond up to (wis) times per day as a bonus action.
3rd boon: becomes +3. Any time an adjacent ally fails a saving throw, the wearer may choose to become the target of the effect and roll a new save. They may do this multiple times, rolling for each ally targeted. (So if defending 3 allies from a fireball, would make 3 additional saves and take the damage 3 additional times)

Wizard, the tentacle crown
This circlet of interwoven mind flayer tentacles is always slimy and feels like it moves at your touch. When worn it blends in with the wearer's hair, but always leaves one lock of a different color.
Curse: the first concentration check you make each combat is made at disadvantage
1st boon: gain telepathy 120'. You can understand and communicate with any creature that has a language. May cast Detect Thoughts up to Int times per day.
2nd boon: you link the minds of your allies for greater coordination. Whenever you or an ally you are maintaining a concentration spell on are adjacent to a creature, you and all allies that you are maintaining concentration on have advantage on attacks against that creature.
3rd boon: prophetic dreams. Your nightly visions have prepared you for a critical moment, even if your conscious mind has forgotten. Once per day, as a reaction, you may cast any spell in your spellbook with an action of one turn or less without expending a spell slot.

Paladin: stumpwood shield.
Curse: when you take a critical hit, it becomes damaged. Lose the shield's bonus to AC for the encounter. You may on drop the shield.
1st boon: +1, you may make a shove attack with the shield as a bonus action
2nd boon: +2, a creature knocked prone by your shove must make a reflex save or be restrained (your save DC). As an action it can make a strength (athletics) or dexterity (acrobatics) to escape
3rd boon: +3, once per day during a short or long rest you may plant the stump into the ground, creating a magical tree. It will shelter you, with effects identical to Leomunds Tiny Hut. 2d4 magical fruits grow from the tree. Eating one Grant's the effects of Heal or Greater Restoration. They lose all magic when removed from the protected area.

Rogue: an elaborate dagger. If it has a name, he will have to discover it later.
curse: you may not score a critical hit with this weapon
1st boon: +1, the weapon will always be in a pocket, sheath, or boot no matter where you place it. This means cannot be taken against your will and is always ready to be drawn after being thrown.
2nd boon: +2, once per day you may cast grease centered on the dagger. You ignore the effect of grease, and are treated as having spider climb while in its area
3rd boon: +3, once per day, when your dagger returns to you after being thrown, it will bring something back. When you hit a target you may make a sleight of hand check (DC = enemy CR) to take one item from them and have it in worn, carried, or in your pack as appropriate.

Hexblade: a blade that shifts in size, length, and shape depending on the wielder's mood
Curse: when failing a fear check, the weapon shrinks to the size of a butter knife (1d3 damage)
1st boon: +1, may become any simple or martial bladed weapon as your item interaction.
2nd boon: +2, once per short rest the weapon may gain the reach property for one turn. Attacks against enemies more than 5 feet away gain advantage from surprise
3rd boon: +3, whenever you land a critical hit the weapon gains a charge. When taking the attack action you may spend any number of charges to make that many additional attacks. Charges are reset to 2 at a long rest.

Ranger: wanderlust boots.
Curse: when you fail an acrobatics or athletics check, you fall prone in addition to the other results of the failure
1st boon: your speed increases by 5 feet. As a bonus action you may teleport up to 15 feet to a space you occupied previously in the turn
2nd boon: you gain a fly speed equal to your walking speed. As a bonus action you may teleport to any space you have occupied in the last minute.
3rd boon: you are immune to any effect that would move, teleport, or otherwise change your position against your will. Up to Wis times per day you may teleport yourself and any number of willing creature within 30' to any location you have previously visited or seen.

Monk: rough burlap hand wrappings. The unseen inner surface is beautifully embroidered with intricate stitching in arcane symbols.
Curse: any hit dice you roll to recover HP are treated as rolling a 1.
1st boon: +1, may spend your hit dice on a successful martial arts attack. Add the number rolled to the damage, and gain that much HP
2nd boon: +2, may spend 2 ki points to cast detect thoughts. A creature that you have rendered unconscious automatically fails their save.
3rd boon: +3, may spend 4 ki points to cast Alter Memories. You also gain the full benefits of detect thoughts. A creature you have rendered unconscious automatically fails their save.

GigaGuess
2020-03-11, 08:50 AM
Oh, these are good, these are very, very good...