PDA

View Full Version : Bladesinger feat question and cantrip

Whit
2020-03-10, 07:15 PM
Hello. Question about building a bladesinger.

How good is the feat mobile for bladesinger.
* When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don’t provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Scenario. If I’m blade singing and concentrating on a X concentration spell, use1/2 my movement to enter melee attack 2x at level 6 and then use the remainder of my movement to move away, that single opponent does not get an opportunity attack.

Scenario. If I cantrip Green flame blade. With a melee attack, does that stop me from using the second attack if I’m 6th level with 2 attacks or do I get to green flame blade 1 melee attack and my second attack is normal.

Aett_Thorn
2020-03-10, 07:20 PM

* When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don’t provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Scenario. If I’m blade singing and concentrating on a X concentration spell, use1/2 my movement to enter melee attack 2x at level 6 and then use the remainder of my movement to move away, that single opponent does not get an opportunity attack.

Scenario. If I cantrip Green flame blade. With a melee attack, does that stop me from using the second attack if I’m 6th level with 2 attacks or do I get to green flame blade 1 melee attack and my second attack is normal.

Mobile can be very good on a Bladesinger, giving you even more speed and the ability to back out of melee much easier.

If you use the “Cast a Spell” action, which is what casting Green Flame Blade is, you cannot use Extra Attack feature. That requires you to use the Attack Action, not just making an attack.

Dork_Forge
2020-03-10, 07:21 PM
It's very useful as the Bladesinger lends itself to the skirmishing style with a d6 hitdie.

As for you scenario, you can either use your action to take the attack action (making two attacks from level 6) or cast a spell, if you cast green flame blade then you use your action to cast it, as part of the spell you make a single attack.

If you're taking mobile though, booming blade would be better as you can move out if reach to try and get them to trigger it's secondary damage.

Nagog
2020-03-10, 07:35 PM
It's very useful as the Bladesinger lends itself to the skirmishing style with a d6 hitdie.

As for you scenario, you can either use your action to take the attack action (making two attacks from level 6) or cast a spell, if you cast green flame blade then you use your action to cast it, as part of the spell you make a single attack.

If you're taking mobile though, booming blade would be better as you can move out if reach to try and get them to trigger it's secondary damage.

This is good, and probably the best cantrip to use for it. I thought perhaps you were on to something with GFB allowing you to avoid 2 OA per round, but upon rereading the Mobile feat, it specifies you are immune to OA from anybody you make a melee attack against. The second target of GFB is hit automatically, ergo no roll against it, ergo it can make a OA against you. :/

Dork_Forge
2020-03-10, 08:23 PM
This is good, and probably the best cantrip to use for it. I thought perhaps you were on to something with GFB allowing you to avoid 2 OA per round, but upon rereading the Mobile feat, it specifies you are immune to OA from anybody you make a melee attack against. The second target of GFB is hit automatically, ergo no roll against it, ergo it can make a OA against you. :/

I didn't mean to imply that it would for GFB if I did, if you wanted to get away with GFB shenanigans then you would be better off using a whip and Spell Sniper to hit people with it without getting in OA range.

Nagog
2020-03-10, 08:29 PM
I didn't mean to imply that it would for GFB if I did, if you wanted to get away with GFB shenanigans then you would be better off using a whip and Spell Sniper to hit people with it without getting in OA range.

That's true, however between having 2 attacks against 2 different targets or attacking 1 person and having a bit of extra damage on a second enemy, I'd typically take the 2 attacks (particularly if I have any sort of buffs or damage boosters). GFB is pretty cool early-game for Bladesingers, but later game they tend to fall off (particularly when Shadow Blade comes online). It can, however, be used to great effect to whittle down a BBEG who's surrounded by minions. Particularly if said BBEG has defenses against spells targeting it, like a Spectator or the Tarrasque. It's a fairly low caliber loophole, but a loophole nevertheless.

Dork_Forge
2020-03-10, 08:46 PM
That's true, however between having 2 attacks against 2 different targets or attacking 1 person and having a bit of extra damage on a second enemy, I'd typically take the 2 attacks (particularly if I have any sort of buffs or damage boosters). GFB is pretty cool early-game for Bladesingers, but later game they tend to fall off (particularly when Shadow Blade comes online). It can, however, be used to great effect to whittle down a BBEG who's surrounded by minions. Particularly if said BBEG has defenses against spells targeting it, like a Spectator or the Tarrasque. It's a fairly low caliber loophole, but a loophole nevertheless.

As long as the enemy isn't resistant/immune to fire it's a pretty good tactic based on how it scales, the secondary damage scales as if you're attacking them basically (mod +d8s) and the primary is just a boosted attack. It may fall behind if you're using an upcast shadow blade, but otherwise it's a solid tactic providing that you actually have targets that close together.

djreynolds
2020-03-10, 09:37 PM
IMO mobile might be wasted on a bladesinger.

Mobile is a great feat, but on your turn when you are bladesinging your AC is very high.

1. If hit, you can just cast the shield spell and more than likely turn a hit into a miss, other than a crit

2. If you use BB or GFB on your turn, since it is a cantrip you can use your bonus action to cast misty step on this turn.

IMO, instead of mobile, considering your high AC with dex, intelligence, and AC 12 studded leather or even AC 13 mage armor and the shield spell... the one thing in melee to worry about is a crit.

Consider the lucky feat, its good for 3 times a long rest and can be used for a d20 roll, how often will you be in melee

FinnS
2020-03-11, 05:58 AM
IMO mobile might be wasted on a bladesinger.

Mobile is a great feat, but on your turn when you are bladesinging your AC is very high.

1. If hit, you can just cast the shield spell and more than likely turn a hit into a miss, other than a crit

2. If you use BB or GFB on your turn, since it is a cantrip you can use your bonus action to cast misty step on this turn.

IMO, instead of mobile, considering your high AC with dex, intelligence, and AC 12 studded leather or even AC 13 mage armor and the shield spell... the one thing in melee to worry about is a crit.

Consider the lucky feat, its good for 3 times a long rest and can be used for a d20 roll, how often will you be in melee

Best to check with your DM before taking Lucky for the sole reason of avoiding Crits against you. Not all DM's announce Natural 20's or crits period. I personally roll in secret, have for over 35 years now and do not announce crits, I only announce what AC I hit.
However, we quickly found that some mechanics are very clunky/unclear when it comes to certain abilities that don't use your reaction like Luck for when you can announce you're using a luck point on rolls against you.
I suggested to my players a rule that they have a choice when using a Luck point on rolls against them. They can announce it before I roll any dice and its only costs them the Luck point or they can wait till I roll and announce what AC I hit, then use a Luck point but at the cost of their Reaction.

As was already mentioned earlier, taking the Mobile feat is great choice if you are planning on investing heavily into Blade Singer levels and playing that skirmisher kind of style darting in and out of the front line.
If your plan is to spend most of your time in the front lines while again devoting a lot of levels into BS, then the Tough feat is a much better choice. Pure Blade Singer's tend to be what I like to call paper tanks and honestly, not what the sub-class was intended to be imo.
In all honesty, BS's are one of the weakest pure Wizard options (especially after the release of the War Magic school) and this sub-class only truly shines when building a Gish type combined with Fighter to play that more tanky style or with Rogue to be more of a skirmisher.

Let me put it this way....A War Wizard that started with 1 level of Fighter then went 2 levels of Wizard could already be sporting a 23AC by level 3 before taking a single ASI/Feat and you still have the option of being a Variant Human starting with Warcaster or Tough already. You're not getting anywhere near that kind of AC as a Blade Singer until you have maxed both INT and DEX to 20 each and you certainly don't have any feats either.

djreynolds
2020-03-11, 10:10 PM
I like the bladesinger.

IMO with the shield spell and misty step... you will always have prepared.... the need of mobile isn't great.

For feats. Resilient constitution is always welcome. 2 ASI for intelligence. 1 ASI for dex, you could live with an 18.

And consider tough, ASI con, ASI dex, lucky, mobile is still a viable feat for you.

AvvyR
2020-03-11, 10:39 PM
ASI's are tight on Bladesinger due to wanting to ideally max INT and DEX. It's easy to have >20 AC at pretty low levels while bladesinging, and you have the spell slots to burn for shield if you end up needing it. I usually just take the opportunity attacks on mine.

That said, Mobile IS a good feat, and goes perfectly with the playstyle. It becomes a question of if it's worth the ASI to do things you're already good at better.

GentlemanVoodoo
2020-03-12, 12:19 AM

The feat itself is not a bad choice though this conjures more of the hit and run tactics with booming blade so you get the extra damage for the movement effect. Same thing with a Rogue who has that cantrip and uses their disengage feature.

To address your scenario's:

1. This is correct. Main thing however is just be aware of other individuals that could get AoO against you. Mobile is a one target only effect unless you hit a second target with the second attack at level 5 or 6 (depending on class).

2. This is incorrect. You don't get a second attack period. Green Flame Blade is a cantrip that falls under the Cast a Spell option so during combat you get to either cast a spell or do the Attack action. Not both. Green Flame Blade has the unique feature to use your melee attack bonuses as part of the spell's effect, and can hit two targets side by side. But it still falls under the Cast a Spell category since you are casting a cantrip. Remember the second attack option granted to the Bladesinger is for the Attack action. The only class that can currently mix something of casting a spell and melee attack in a single turn is the Eldritch Knight Fighter with their War Magic feature but this is limited to just cantrips.