PDA

View Full Version : Rolling to generate a characters class

Mikaleus
2020-03-11, 01:26 AM
So I enjoy making characters. And found the tables in xanathars fun to try, so figured I’d make my own for class/ subclass.

So I decided to allocate 3 groups of 4 classes, divided by a loose archetype.

Martial - Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Rogue

Arcane - Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

Divine/ Nature- Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger

Assign a class to a D4. When you have the result, list their subclasses (PHB, SCAG, Xanathars) and assign them to a relevant Die.

For example

Paladin suits a D6.
1. Devotion
2. Ancients
3. Vengeance
4. Crown
5. Conquest
6. Redemption

In the case of a Bard, you can still apply a D6.
1. Lore
2. Valor
3. Glamour
4. Swords
5. Whisper
6. ROLL AGAIN

Once you have a character for each category, for amusement, you can roll a D4 to determine what archetype of character is the final result, allocating 1 or 4 (your choice) as a role again.

Not sure if this post was of any interest to anyone, but if you enjoy rolling dice and creating characters randomly, Ive found this a fun activity to do.

Edit: if you’d like to add artificer to arcane, make that archetype group a D6 with 6 being a roll again result.
Basically my method likes to roll the dice ...maybe a little too much.

So I thought I’d share my results.

Martial
Sun soul monk

Arcane
Shadow Sorcerer

Divine/ Nature
Oath of Vengeance Paladin

CTurbo
2020-03-11, 02:41 AM
I've done this a lot and have played entire campaigns made with completely rolled up characters all the way down the the ASIs rolled in order. It's a lot of fun every time.

Step 1. Roll for stats using any method you want, but you can't reassign them. First roll goes to Str, second to Dex, third to Con, etc...
Step 2. Roll for race.
Step 4. Roll for class.
Step 5. Roll for subclass
Step 6. Roll for background.
Step 7. Roll for alignment(d3 twice)
Step 8. Actually write up a backstory that brings all of that together.
Optional Step 9. Roll up a free feat to start with.
Step 10. Enjoy!

All you need is an app that allows you to roll odd number dice rolls.

Mikaleus
2020-03-11, 02:49 AM
I've done this a lot and have played entire campaigns made with completely rolled up characters all the way down the the ASIs rolled in order. It's a lot of fun every time.

Step 1. Roll for stats using any method you want, but you can't reassign them. First roll goes to Str, second to Dex, third to Con, etc...
Step 2. Roll for race.
Step 4. Roll for class.
Step 5. Roll for subclass
Step 6. Roll for background.
Step 7. Roll for alignment(d3 twice)
Step 8. Actually write up a backstory that brings all of that together.
Optional Step 9. Roll up a free feat to start with.
Step 10. Enjoy!

All you need is an app that allows you to roll odd number dice rolls.
Yeah that app comes in handy.
I’m usually pretty good for races and background, but classes can stump me at times

Randomthom
2020-03-11, 03:43 AM
I've often pondered it but can never push myself to go full-random. I enjoy working to a build too much. Not even necessarily an optimised build even, just a solid one.

One fun variation, once your stats and racial modifiers are determined, work out which other classes you can multiclass into and random class on each level-up!

Demonslayer666
2020-03-11, 09:49 AM
I like using "who the f is my D&D character" random generator online.

I can't force myself to use it once only, so I keep clicking until something really jumps out at me, but it's pretty fun.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-11, 03:21 PM
I think it'd be better to incorporate the Background with the Subclass together, as that gives you the means of creating a cohesive backstory.

For example, how exactly would you create a Vengeance Paladin that was once a merchant?

Or a Shepherds Druid that was a Soldier?

A good way of going about it would be to assign each background to have one associated subclass for each class. So an Outlander or Hermit background would lead into an Ancients Paladin, but Acolyte or Folk Hero would lead into a Devotion Paladin.

For randomly generated characters, it'd be better to encourage cohesion and stereotypes rather than trying to force the puzzle pieces together with chaos-glue for a backstory. It's randomized, but you don't want the character to feel random.

For perspective, people do not randomly get rolled into their positions in life, and do you want to play a character or a character sheet?

Mikaleus
2020-03-11, 11:17 PM
I think it'd be better to incorporate the Background with the Subclass together, as that gives you the means of creating a cohesive backstory.

For example, how exactly would you create a Vengeance Paladin that was once a merchant?

A good way of going about it would be to assign each background to have one associated subclass for each class. So an Outlander or Hermit background would lead into an Ancients Paladin, but Acolyte or Folk Hero would lead into a Devotion Paladin.

For randomly generated characters, it'd be better to encourage cohesion and stereotypes rather than trying to force the puzzle pieces together with chaos-glue for a backstory. It's randomized, but you don't want the character to feel random.

For perspective, people do not randomly get rolled into their positions in life, and do you want to play a character or a character sheet?

That’s why I only roll for class / subclass. Backgrounds are easier to form when you have an idea on what your class is.

With the tables in xanathars, i created a couple of random characters that meshed really well. Others I looked at and thought ....I wouldn’t play that.

Also realise that my title for the thread is slightly misleading and have adjusted accordingly.

ChildofLuthic
2020-03-12, 03:29 PM

=

I hard disagree. I feel like the whole point of backgrounds is they represent something about your character that isn't covered by their class/subclass, and I usually go out of my way to mismatch them. For these examples: a merchant lost everything when bandits robbed his caravan, and he decided that no one should ever have to lose everything again. Someone joined the military and traveled through a mystical forest, where the spirits of nature called out to him. He began commanding these spirits the same way he used to command his men.

Mikaleus
2020-03-12, 07:47 PM

Someone joined the military and traveled through a mystical forest, where the spirits of nature called out to him. He began commanding these spirits the same way he used to command his men.

I absolutely love that idea for a Druid with a soldier background.
Circle of the shepherd. With the right DM, could possibly wear metal armor, justifying it with your background.

This could work with a cleric of nature too.

Thanks for sharing the idea