PDA

View Full Version : Fighting an Elder Brain

Master O'Laughs
2020-03-11, 11:03 AM
So, our of 6 finds ourselves facing off against an elder brain and 10 mind flayers. We are level 13 and have a DMPC artificer with us as well.

The problem is 3 of the party members are at least 1 to 2 turns away from the rest of us.

In the room with the EB are Paladin, Barbarian, Fighter. Artificer

6 mind flayers are blocking our escape, but we are mounted on my pegasus, and a flying motorcycle.

Our cleric, wizard, and rogue are outside on our spaceship (just started some spell jammer type action with these PCs).

Any thoughts on how to survive?

I am thinking #1 regroup, then #2 run away or try to whittle down mind flayers first.

What are good ways to get past a group of 6 mind flayers? Disengage and trample them with mounts?

Input appreciated

Catullus64
2020-03-11, 11:25 AM
Have you considered surrender? Maybe they'll wait to eat your brains long enough for you to create a distraction and split them up.

Anyone in the room got good social skills? A high-rolling Persuasion ("Nice operation you've got here. I think we can help each other out"), Deception (Flee, fools! Ten more of us are coming down the hallway right now!), or Intimidation ("Let's all talk this out before we're forced to slaughter the lot of you.) roll could buy you time or get you out of there.

Short of that, it doesn't look good. If you've got teleports, use them on the less-mobile characters, while the faster characters make a break for it. If escape isn't an option, try to focus the elder brain. If your DM is reasonable, its destruction might incapacitate or hurt the mind flayers. A high-level Barbarian, Fighter, and Paladin should be able to output a ridiculous amount of damage if they all go for broke.

Master O'Laughs
2020-03-11, 11:47 AM
Have you considered surrender? Maybe they'll wait to eat your brains long enough for you to create a distraction and split them up.

Anyone in the room got good social skills? A high-rolling Persuasion ("Nice operation you've got here. I think we can help each other out"), Deception (Flee, fools! Ten more of us are coming down the hallway right now!), or Intimidation ("Let's all talk this out before we're forced to slaughter the lot of you.) roll could buy you time or get you out of there.

Short of that, it doesn't look good. If you've got teleports, use them on the less-mobile characters, while the faster characters make a break for it. If escape isn't an option, try to focus the elder brain. If your DM is reasonable, its destruction might incapacitate or hurt the mind flayers. A high-level Barbarian, Fighter, and Paladin should be able to output a ridiculous amount of damage if they all go for broke.

heheh, yeah, we missed the boat on that one. Turned out he was imprisoned and was requesting our help to free him. Since we just saved the world from a demon prince before heading off to space, we thought it best to not free another thing bent on taking over the world.

Worst case scenario, it defeats us and those of us who make suitable hosts would end up keeping their characters.. maybe, and become servants of the elder brain. My character gets tossed in the scrap heap though since I be a warforged.

The artificer may be a B.A. as well since he is currently wielding in his 4 arms a versatile weapon, wand, and dagger

stoutstien
2020-03-11, 11:59 AM
If you can get into a position to just be a serious threat to the elder brain you could probably open a dialogue with it.

Master O'Laughs
2020-03-11, 12:53 PM
If you can get into a position to just be a serious threat to the elder brain you could probably open a dialogue with it.

Crunching numbers, average damage between the 3 PCs present is close to 200 damage (average) assuming we hit with every attack. 2 attacks with two L4 divine smites (Paladin), 6 attacks (fighter), 2 GWM attacks (Barb).

If the DMPC can lay on some damage and the DM hasn't buffed the Elder Brain we may be able to kill it (assuming we get a turn).