PDA

View Full Version : Pole-arm Sphere of might build advice

Nosta
2020-03-11, 12:01 PM
I know next to nothing about the sphere of might systems other than it seems cool

And I want build a martial character who wields some sort of pole arm very effectively .

I like to have a good threaten area with my weapon and fact techniques I can use with it.

Assume human level 4
What class or classes and what spheres.?

Seerow
2020-03-11, 12:26 PM
Most spheres are going to be compatible with a polearms. If you're looking for area control I'd look at the brute sphere and guardian sphere. Make sure to look at equipment sphere talents as well because they can give you alternate ways to use your gear, like turning it into a throwing weapon or letting you use a polearm and shield.

As an aside I'm a big fan of the lancer sphere, it's not quite what you were looking for but it lets you impale targets with your weapon, hindering their movement and action economy.

Might come back and make a more detailed post after work tonight, but those are the places I would start

stack
2020-03-11, 01:28 PM
Guardian (patrol package) can give extra reach, stacking with your polearm reach and grant different abilities affecting that area (defending allies, difficult terrain, etc.). Guardian in general is tank-y, giving options for delaying damage and other effects. Berserker combos well, since you can get THP from it, which works well with delayed damage from guardian and, as a tank, lowering your AC encourages enemies to attack you rather than your allies.

Keep an eye on action economy; if you plan to use patrol heavily, you should avoid competition for the same action (swift guardian makes patrol a standard) set outside of abilities that you won't want to use at the same time.

NomGarret
2020-03-11, 07:27 PM
In terms of classes, conscript and sentinel are at the top. Full BAB, tons of talents, and they both fit conceptually. Conscript is like Fighter in that it can almost always work conceptually. Blacksmith is good, too, but the sunder focus and crafting party support might not be what you have in mind.

As far as the spheres themselves, Guardian (patrol package) is the big one. Brute, berserker, and lancer are all good, as have been mentioned. Another one I would look at is gladiator. The boasts can be very handy.

Seerow
2020-03-11, 11:30 PM
If you want to really focus in on the area controller schtick, absolutely Sentinel is what you want.

If you like the idea of Conscript, as a blank slate you can adjust to make what you'd like, I'm going to suggest dropping that idea and instead going with the Coiled Blade Fighter. Coiled Blade takes the PF Fighter, trades out Armor Training and 5 feats, and in exchange gets a full Spheres progression and the Striker tension feature, which gives you the ability to take extra attacks and swift action movement, which is pretty sweet. And it leaves you still able to take any archetype that trades out other features, and fighter has some great ones to choose from (I am a huge fan of Martial Master, but I believe Mutation Warrior is also compatible. If you are also using PoW, Myrmidon is compatible). I feel like it is just generally an all around better option for the generic warrior option than Conscript.

I do want to throw out one odd-ball suggestion: Try an Armiger, where each customized weapon is a variant of the same weapon. Fluff it as having just one weapon and multiple fighting styles. Or have 3 similar polearms you swap between if you prefer.

With the level 4 human mentioned in the OP, you'll have your Martial Tradition, 2 combat talents, and then 2 more combat talents for each of your 3 customized weapons. It gives a ton of versatility that no other class can match. I'd go something like:

Talents:
Martial Tradition: Pikeman
1) Pikeman Training
2) Polearm Mastery
3) Lancer Sphere
4) Guardian Sphere [Patrol Package]

Combat Training
2) Armor Training
4) Swift Guardian

First Customized Weapon
1) Berserker Sphere
3) Whirlwind Knockdown

[This weapon will focus on tripping/control. Berserker Sphere gives you the option to sacrifice AC for temp hp each round, which synergizes great with your guardian delayed damage pool. It also gives you Brutal Strike which batters an opponent, making them easier to affect with combat maneuvers. Whirlwind Knockdown gives you a standard action aoe trip, which is fantastic. Progression on this weapon would likely be grabbing Heavy Swing to also stagger opponents when you Brutal Strike, then dipping into the Open Hand sphere for more tripping goodness]

Second Customized Weapon
1) Steel Hedge
3) Iron Wall

[This is the weapon you want to end your turn on any time you are patrolling. With Swift Guardian you can patrol as a move action when expending your focus. With these talents you're creating an area of difficult terrain and giving your allies a miss chance. Ideally you'll want to expand this to include the Challenge package and then other talents improving the Guardian sphere further]

Third Customized Weapon
1) Opportune Impalement
3) Bloody Rip

[This weapon uses the Lancer sphere to debuff enemies you hit with an AoO, and bloody rip lets you take the weapon back while leaving them impaired. There's a ton of fun options here for expansion down the line, Pinning Impale is probably at the top of my list]

Of course there's about a million other ways you can take the class/build. That doesn't look at Feats/Prowesses at all, for example. That's part of the fun. Like if I was going for less of a guardian/controller build, and just building a Polearm wielder the way I think would be most awesome, I would want a lot invested into the Athletics Sphere, because Wall Stunt, Scale Foe, Unwilling Boost, and Diving Strike are all awesome and make for a fantastic Dragoon style character. And once you're there, why not also having a harpoon as one of your weapons, and grab Get Over Here and Rope Swing. Also now that you have Scale Foe, why not have a weapon dedicated to the Wrestling Sphere, which explicitly works while you are using that talent, so you can climb onto a giant creature using your climb check instead of CMB, then pile drive them with your slam talent.

Anyway at this point I'm just rambling, but hopefully you got something useful out of this.