PDA

View Full Version : Shillelagh & A Whip

Garfunion
2020-03-11, 12:49 PM
Could a whip woven from vines and tree bark be affected by the shillelagh cantrip?

JNAProductions
2020-03-11, 12:54 PM
Could a whip woven from vines and tree bark be affected by the shillelagh cantrip?

RAW? No.

RAI? No.

RAF? Depends on what you plan to do with it. If you just like the mental imagery, I'd say go for it, but if you have something more abusive in mind, I'd probably say no.

nickl_2000
2020-03-11, 12:54 PM
RAW absolutely not.

"The wood of a club or quarterstaff you are holding is imbued with nature’s power."

A whip is neither a club nor a quarterstaff, so it's not allowed.

If you want to allow it, you can. I wouldn't though, I think a 1d8 magical reach weapon triggering off of Wisdom isn't a good idea.

Greywander
2020-03-11, 12:55 PM
Strictly by the rules? No, it can only make clubs and quarterstaves. Note that RL shillelaghs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shillelagh_(club)) are a type of club/walking stick.

Would I allow this in my game? Sure, it makes sense to me. Shillelagh is actually kind of weak anyway, so I don't think it will break anything. It's a rapier with reach, and it cost you a cantrip slot and bonus action, so it seems fair to me.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-11, 01:56 PM
What are you going to break with it?

Worst case scenario, you're...I dunno, a Nature Cleric Dwarf with 10 strength and maxed wisdom? And the question is whether adding 5ft range to the weapon attack of a Cleric is going to be a big deal?

It's definitely not within the rules, but there no reason it couldn't be. Hell, you could probably just change it to "any improvised weapon made of natural materials, which then becomes a similar 1 handed melee weapon of your choice".

...Actually, I really like that idea. I might just make that a staple going forward. Honestly, I don't see any inherent reason why it can only affect clubs and staves, except for the whole "Druids are hermits" trope.

Teaguethebean
2020-03-11, 02:00 PM
If you are looking to use a whip made of vines as a weapon use thorn whip. Very good cantrip.

Garfunion
2020-03-11, 03:13 PM
What are you going to break with it?
Just a curious thought.

I would’ve probably just teamed it up with booming blade cantrip(spell sniper feat).

I’m still trying to work on my “Spelldancer” idea.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-11, 03:28 PM
Just a curious thought.

I would’ve probably just teamed it up with booming blade cantrip(spell sniper feat).

I’m still trying to work on my “Spelldancer” idea.

Even then, still not a big deal. Booming Blade is fine as a cantrip, but it's still just a cantrip. Even with the Spell Sniper feat, I wouldn't rate BB as being higher than a level 1 spell. Casting a level 1 spell at-will isn't enough for me to feel worried about it.

"MUHAHAHA, now I can cast CHROMATIC ORB EVERY TURN! What can your Wizard do COMPARED TO THAT?"

"....Fireball."

KorvinStarmast
2020-03-11, 04:57 PM
If you are looking to use a whip made of vines as a weapon use thorn whip. Very good cantrip. OK, who let the guy in here who makes sense? :smallbiggrin:

Garfunion
2020-03-11, 05:19 PM
If you are looking to use a whip made of vines as a weapon use thorn whip. Very good cantrip.

OK, who let the guy in here who makes sense? :smallbiggrin:

Thematically it makes sense, however it’s not a weapon attack. Which is what I’m looking for.

JNAProductions
2020-03-11, 05:20 PM
Thematically it makes sense, however it’s not a weapon attack. Which is what I’m looking for.

Why are you looking for a weapon attack? That’s what I want to know.

Garfunion
2020-03-11, 05:26 PM
Why are you looking for a weapon attack? That’s what I want to know.
I’ve already mentioned that I would probably use it for booming blade / greenflame blade cantrip (in conjunction with spell sniper feat).

But again it was just a curious thought, just like a bokken(wooden sword/carved club) can be used with shillelagh cantrip.

LibraryOgre
2020-03-11, 05:28 PM
I’ve already mentioned that I would probably use it for booming blade / greenflame blade cantrip (in conjunction with spell sniper feat).

But again it was just a curious thought, just like a bokken(wooden sword/carved club) can be used with shillelagh cantrip.

I would allow a bokken to be used for Shillelagh.

JNAProductions
2020-03-11, 05:35 PM
I’d probably ask to drop the damage die of the spell by 1, so it’s either 1d8 or 1d6 with reach.

Nagog
2020-03-11, 06:47 PM
Even then, still not a big deal. Booming Blade is fine as a cantrip, but it's still just a cantrip. Even with the Spell Sniper feat, I wouldn't rate BB as being higher than a level 1 spell. Casting a level 1 spell at-will isn't enough for me to feel worried about it.

"MUHAHAHA, now I can cast CHROMATIC ORB EVERY TURN! What can your Wizard do COMPARED TO THAT?"

"....Fireball."

For some reason I heard that interaction happening in the voices of Critical Role, with Caleb actually casting fireball while saying that. Thank you good sir for that, I needed that today XD

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-11, 06:50 PM
For some reason I heard that interaction happening in the voices of Critical Role, with Caleb actually casting fireball while saying that. Thank you good sir for that, I needed that today XD

That's pretty funny.

Never actually watched Critical Role, but I definitely imagined the Wizard casting Fireball as he said it.

Sparky McDibben
2020-03-11, 07:04 PM
Watch me whip, now watch me shillelagh...

LibraryOgre
2020-03-11, 07:40 PM
Watch me whip, now watch me shillelagh...

TWF druid/bard?