PDA

View Full Version : Multiclass spell slots?

Uncleterri
2020-03-11, 04:13 PM
Let’s say for example I’m a 8th level eldritch Knight and a 3rd level artificer. Would I have 7 1st level spell slots and 2 2nd level spell slots?

JNAProductions
2020-03-11, 04:19 PM
No. You would have the slots of a 4th level full-caster.

8/3 rounded down is 2, and 3/2 rounded up (because Artificer is special) is 2. Added together is 4.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-11, 04:20 PM
Let’s say for example I’m a 8th level eldritch Knight and a 3rd level artificer. Would I have 7 1st level spell slots and 2 2nd level spell slots?

Not quite.

You combine the "caster levels" of all of your levels, and then use the total caster level sum to determine how many spell slots you'd have. All casters follow this spell slot system (although levels of spells known, and "caster" levels, vary between each class).

For example, Eldritch Knights are 1/3 casters.

Artificers are 1/2 casters.

The EK levels total to be an 8/3 caster. Multiclass rules state you round down, so you're a level 2 caster from EK levels.

Artificer, rounding up (different than anyone else) means your 3/2 would be a level 2 caster from Artificer levels.

Totaling them, you're a level 4 caster, using the level 4 caster amounts of Spell slots. You can view how many spell slots that means from the multiclass rules in the PHB, or you can just look at any table of any full caster's spell slots (like Wizard, Bard, etc).

Cantrips always obey the unique rules of your class, and don't compile like spell slots do (so if Class A gives you 2 cantrips, and Class B gives you 3, you now have 5 cantrips).

Uncleterri
2020-03-11, 04:22 PM
No. You would have the slots of a 4th level full-caster.

8/3 rounded down is 2, and 3/2 rounded up (because Artificer is special) is 2. Added together is 4.

So I have 4 1st level spell slots and 3 2nd level spell slots?

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-11, 04:26 PM
So I have 4 1st level spell slots and 3 2nd level spell slots?

Correct!

If you bumped your EK levels by 1, it'd round to 3 caster levels from EK instead of 2, and you'd get level 3 spell slots as a level 5 caster.