PDA

View Full Version : Dips for a Tier 3 Battle Master

1Pirate
2020-03-11, 06:49 PM
So, I played a 10th level Battlemaster(Dex ranged build) for a one-shot. The DM decided to make it a 2-shot and have our characters advance to level 12. I ended up missing the 2nd session, however I was told the DM would likely have a 3rd session and the characters would be at 14th. So I’m wondering about some MC options.

Now obviously I’m getting that 3rd attack at level 11 and my default instinct was to go Fighter 12, grab Alert, then 2 levels into Rogue for Cunning Action. But I’m wondering if there are any interesting 3 level dips instead, or maybe do something with the fighter’s fifth feat at level 14(note he’s locked into using a longbow+3, so Crossbow Expert doesn’t give me a whole lot).

Wood Elf Fighter BM 10/??, Urchin background

Str 11

Dex 20

Con 16

Int 9

Wis 14

Cha 13

Feats: Elven Accuracy, Sharpshooter(I got Wood Elf magic as a free feat initially, but the DM switched it into Pass w/o Trace 1/long rest)

Skills: Stealth, Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Perception, Survival.

My concept behind him is that he’s a forest hunter that’s good at sneaking, shooting, and tracking, but doesn’t really know as much about nature as he thinks he does(“These bear tracks lead into that thicket.” “Uh, aren’t those hoof prints?” “...Hmm, a bear with hooves. That will make an excellent trophy.”)

LudicSavant
2020-03-11, 06:53 PM
There's a lot of options after getting Fighter 11. You could even just jump off into a caster for 9 levels (and end up with similar-ish spell slots to a straight Eldritch Knight at the end, on top of stuff like, say, the War Mage's reaction stacking with Indomitable).

Gloom Stalker is a well-known candidate for Fighter dips, because their Dread Ambusher ability synergizes with Action Surge.

Skylivedk
2020-03-11, 07:00 PM
I'd definitely get the third attack from 11 ftr first.

After that, Gloom Stalker 3 is pretty classic and very very deadly for your opening round.

Longer play (please don't hate me for this suggestion, Ludic), you can add Hexblade 5 to be able to snipe dragons out of the sky. The Prone effect from Eldritch Smite grounds flying monsters with no hover speed. Ftr 12 / gloom 3/ Hexblade 5.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, you can either go more Gloom, sprinkle with Rogue or something entirely different. Scout is interesting because of the ability to stay from enemies.

If you really just want to pile on damage and never have to change away from your now, Kensei is an option (that can go along with Gloom Stalker for some pretty serious first round burst - 8 attacks).

You can get something similar from College of Whispers; less consistent, but more burst and swapping mobility+not having to switch from your bow for skills, spells and utility. The level 6 ability is interesting IMO. The bard route is less fun if you can't get more cha though.

War Cleric is also an option. You can use both the bonus action attack, the spells and the level 6 ability. Just the one level can be taken and works in the mix with most of the other dips.

You can't really go War Mage because of your int.

From an optimising point of view, I'd dip into Gloom Stalker. Do you have Pushing Attack (or whatever that manoeuvre is called)? It works nicely with spiked growth.

Btw, Gloom 3, Scout 3 and Hexblade 3 is an option as well. No dragon grounding smite, but Hexblade's Curse is very very strong with 8 attacks and you still have the sneak attacks and the scout ability to move away from foes. It's very expensive in asis though

LudicSavant
2020-03-11, 07:10 PM
I'd definitely get the third attack from 11 ftr first.

After that, Gloom Stalker 3 is pretty classic and very very deadly for your opening round.

Longer play (please don't hate me for this suggestion, Ludic), you can add Hexblade 5 to be able to snipe dragons out of the sky. The Prone effect from Eldritch Smite grounds flying monsters with no hover speed.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, you can either go more Gloom, sprinkle with Rogue or something entirely different.

Why would I hate you for that suggestion? I've recommended Hexblade for anti-air before. And Hexblade's a good dip because anything that gives per-attack damage bonuses is good for Fighters, and Hexblades give those. :smallsmile:

Skylivedk
2020-03-11, 07:27 PM
Why would I hate you for that suggestion? I've recommended Hexblade for anti-air before. And Hexblade's a good dip because anything that gives per-attack damage bonuses is good for Fighters, and Hexblades give those. :smallsmile:

Because it's used so much ;) by the way... And your DM might not like this. As far as I can tell, Hexblade's Curse works with Spiked Growth. I wouldn't allow it in my own games. If it is allowed it is crazy crazy strong.

Just saying.

LudicSavant
2020-03-11, 07:41 PM
Because it's used so much ;) by the way... And your DM might not like this. As far as I can tell, Hexblade's Curse works with Spiked Growth. I wouldn't allow it in my own games. If it is allowed it is crazy crazy strong.

Just saying.

I would never fault someone for recognizing what's strong. The only ones that should be faulted are the game designers who wrote the Hexblade :smalltongue:

Necromas
2020-03-11, 09:06 PM
There's a lot of options after getting Fighter 11. You could even just jump off into a caster for 9 levels (and end up with similar-ish spell slots to a straight Eldritch Knight at the end, on top of stuff like, say, the War Mage's reaction stacking with Indomitable).

Battle druid! Since they already have 14 wis.

Druid 2 or 3 really won't get you much to help in combat, but you at least still get wildshape which can be great for RP and traversal. And I think it's even funnier if the guy who can't even tell that tracks are from a hoofed creature can actually turn into a hoofed creature.

djreynolds
2020-03-12, 12:30 AM
Level 14 fighter is another feat.

But 2 levels of war cleric gives you access to divine favor and a wisdom modifier (+2) a day bonus action attack and guided strike.

2 war cleric/ 12 battlemaster.

Channel divinity is short rest. Guided strike is +10 to hit. Yeah sharpshooter.

CTurbo
2020-03-12, 03:12 AM
I'd go Gloom Stalker 3 or Scout Rogue 3. Either would be GREAT for a ranged BM Fighter.

Keravath
2020-03-12, 06:56 AM
Since you aren't going cross bow expert + sharpshooter for the bonus action attack with a hand crossbow, picking up something that uses a bonus action to enhance damage could be useful. Two levels of hexblade gives you both the hex spell and hexblade's curse for 1/SR even more damage. A level of war cleric also adds divine favor which is an extra d4 damage on every attack. Both of these work well with fighters where enhancing attack damage in general multiplies (far less useful on a rogue for example).

Warlock also has the advantage that the resources are short rest dependent too so you would get everything back on a short rest.

So you could try 12 fighter/hexblade 2 - pick up devils sight as one of the invocations so you can see perfectly in the dark unless your DM doesn't use lighting much.

The other options mentioned are also good. Fighter 11/gloomstalker 3 for example. If you play a lot in darkened dungeons then the automatic invisibility is always on advantage. However, 3 levels of hexblade also adds the option to use darkness+devils sight to generate always on advantage (before you hit level 17).

da newt
2020-03-12, 07:12 AM
Maybe use your next ASI to boost ST to 13, then you can go barbearian for damage resistance ...

I think I'd go AT Rogue for the expertise, cunning action (HIDE), SA, and pick up find familiar (owl) so I could spam the HELP action for advantage and try to capitalize on SS. Actually, any of the rogue subclasses would be handy.

nickl_2000
2020-03-12, 07:13 AM
You mention Fighter 11/Rogue 2, but why not Fighter 11/Rogue 3?

3 levels in Assassin can be absolutely brutal when combined with 3 attacks and action surge (assuming you can pull it off of course).
3 levels in Arcane Trickster gives you cantrips, a few spells, and the ability to pick opponents pockets in combat with mage hand and a familiar
3 levels of mastermind gives you a bonus action help action. Making your party paladin be your new best friends

None completely fit into the concept you are talking about for the character, but they fill you in for action economy very well.

ThatoneGuy84
2020-03-12, 07:57 AM
Rouge - swashbuckler, fits in so well with BM
3rr level dip gives you 1/2 mobile feat, decent way to use sneak attack dice in 1v1 combat, decent increase in dps, with maneuvers it's really easy to gain advantage (like trip attack) if alot of enemies whelm you, 3 attacks at different targets (6 if you need to action surge) then just stroll away from them without issues.

djreynolds
2020-03-12, 12:15 PM
When you short rest to recover maneuvers you regain channel divinity.

Guided strike of war cleric is +10 to hit.

With precision and guided strike there is a good chance of always landing sharpshooter damage

Throw in magic weapon or bless or divine favor...

Your party wants your 30+ damage a turn.

War cleric

Speely
2020-03-12, 09:23 PM
I would go fighter 11 scout rogue 3. Fits thematically and they would finally be as good at tracking as they think they are hehe. Especially since the longbow is your go-to. Extra 2d6 damage from SA, skirmishing tools, and expanded skill profs, not to mention Cunning Action giving you bonus action options.