PDA

View Full Version : Dying in the land of the dead

Bluelantern
2007-10-22, 10:17 PM
Well, I am not going to question about the dead people who belong to the plane, but about the evil adventurers, dunno, but shouldn't they spirit be saw there? and the bodies? does corpses rotten in Celestia or what?

NikkTheTrick
2007-10-22, 10:34 PM
I'd say their spirits are now in their respective afterlives (probably working hard on redefining the word pain).

As for bodies... meh. Empty shells now. Probaly will be sent to "all steaks go to heaven":smalltongue:

jamroar
2007-10-22, 10:34 PM
Well, I am not going to question about the dead people who belong to the plane, but about the evil adventurers, dunno, but shouldn't they spirit be saw there? and the bodies? does corpses rotten in Celestia or what?

The evil adventurers are not (well, were not) dead souls, I think. They Planeshifted their physical bodies over there (as opposed to being Summoned) and were at risk of being killed for real.

Bluelantern
2007-10-22, 11:07 PM
The evil adventurers are not (well, were not) dead souls, I think. They Planeshifted their physical bodies over there (as opposed to being Summoned) and were at risk of being killed for real.

I get that, I just want to know if there is any change in the mechanics of afterlife... in afterlife.

anyway, don't they have protection for that kinda of thing happens??? :smallannoyed:

Jasdoif
2007-10-22, 11:32 PM
I get that, I just want to know if there is any change in the mechanics of afterlife... in afterlife.It wasn't their afterlife. They're simply visitors.

When you die, your soul heads towards the plane of your deity or, if you don't worship a deity, the plane corresponding to your alignment. This happens whether you die on the Material Plane or on some other plane.

anyway, don't they have protection for that kinda of thing happens??? :smallannoyed:Locking out planar travel to an infinite plane is at the very least a monumental task, if that's what you're asking. Defense would tend towards sending defenders to wipe out the invaders.

Alfryd
2007-10-23, 02:37 AM
...anyway, don't they have protection for that kinda of thing happens???

Locking out planar travel to an infinite plane is at the very least a monumental task, if that's what you're asking. Defense would tend towards sending defenders to wipe out the invaders.
Yes, but you'd imagine there'd be some kind of alarm system set up around the major population centres, at least. So if a pack of evil-aligned creatures materialised in someone's dwelling, you'd get a couple of veteran lantern archons teleporting to the scene of the disturbance.

Jasdoif
2007-10-23, 03:41 AM
Yes, but you'd imagine there'd be some kind of alarm system set up around the major population centres, at least. So if a pack of evil-aligned creatures materialised in someone's dwelling, you'd get a couple of veteran lantern archons teleporting to the scene of the disturbance.There might be such an arrangement. These intruders were taken care of in short order, if there is such a detection system in place it should be able to detect their removal as easily as their arrival.

nooneatall
2007-10-23, 09:14 AM
Truth is, there's no official answer. Depending on which edition and book you get, one of the following happens:

You wake up on that plane sooner or later.

You are dead permanently.

You are dead permanently, unless someone raises you.

You are dead permanently, unless someone uses Wish on you.

You "merge with the plane." This says absolutely nothing and may refer to becoming a creature of the plane, being killed permanently, or actually becoming a part of the landscape.

There's no distinction between living and dead characters, so you go back to the "waiting area" and are readmitted.

Problem, every one of these is "official" somewhere, all of them overlap, and most of the writers made no effort to be consistent.

Fascisticide
2007-10-23, 09:21 AM
Dying when you're dead is no big deal, you just come back where you were. It's like in Southpark when people die in hell

"Where was I supposed to go? Detroit?"

Bluelantern
2007-10-23, 09:35 AM
I was not saying that the entire plane should be protected, but rather the houses, if they are in the backyard or in a public place, it would be ok, but they are inside the house possible in the living room!

Ancalagon
2007-10-23, 10:17 AM
We do not know anything? Maybe the reinforcement arrives in five rounds, but the evil party was dead before that? You do not know what sort of protection there is - or if protection is necessary (if the evildoers cannot do lasting harm?)

Crow T. Robot
2007-10-23, 09:00 PM
Dying when you're dead is no big deal, you just come back where you were. It's like in Southpark when people die in hell

"Where was I supposed to go? Detroit?"

What he said. In someways they are a bit better protected than the outsiders who live there, as they can only perminantly die on their own plane. Starting out dead has its advantages.