PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making a Weapon/armor upgrade system; looking for help!

Vectros
2020-03-11, 08:55 PM
I've decided I want to introduce a weapon upgrade system to my campaign. The campaign has 4 factions involved in a Ravenloft style setting; vampires, werewolves, undead, and fae. The idea popped into my head that if the party goes after a particular faction, it should learn how to deal with it better...and I one upped myself, thinking it'd be fun to have upgradeable weapons.

My current thought goes like this: For each creature killed that is either the primary creature of a faction OR closely related to them, the party may gather some of their blood in a vial. With enough blood of a given type, they can take it back to the main town, where it is applied to a gem that goes into a socket on the weapon/armor, improving it in some aspect. +1/2/3 to hit, +1/2/3 damage are obvious ones. I'm thinking having a sort of tree like a lot of MMO's would have, where having enough points in the first tier allows access to the next, and a final tier with even better upgrades.

I am aware this could end up making them very OP against a given faction, but this group doesn't like it particularly hard anyways.

So I'm looking for ideas on more ways they could upgrade, and some way to calculate how much blood each creature would drop. Probably based on CR...

JNAProductions
2020-03-11, 09:05 PM
At work, but cool idea. Will address this more fully at home.

JNAProductions
2020-03-13, 03:49 PM
I made some basics, here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?608541-Modifiable-Weapons&p=24398618#post24398618).