PDA

View Full Version : how to build a ragnarok online assassin?

newguydude1
2020-03-12, 03:37 AM
its been bothering me how a ragnarok assassin would look like in d&d.

rules
two punching daggers.
two weapon fighting.

i dont know how to deal damage with two weapon fighting and i dont know how to maximize dodge ac. could someone teach me? dodge ac is not a rule because i dont know if it costs too much investment. damage is most important.

Kayblis
2020-03-12, 05:11 AM
its been bothering me how a ragnarok assassin would look like in d&d.

rules
two punching daggers.
two weapon fighting.

i dont know how to deal damage with two weapon fighting and i dont know how to maximize dodge ac. could someone teach me? dodge ac is not a rule because i dont know if it costs too much investment. damage is most important.

Damage on a TWF build is mostly a question of adding extra dice of damage to each hit, then having tons of hits. This traditionally includes Rogue for SA and some method of always getting your SA dice to damage. For the Ragnarok's Assassin, the actual PrC 'Assassin' is a good match, as it progresses your SA damage and gives you some spells per day from a decent enough list(for your job anyways).

The important thing is getting your extra dice of damage all the time. Low-end methods include having party members to flank, making feints to force the enemy into being flat-footed, and attacking from hiding. Normal mid-level methods include invisibility and a way to avoid detection by special senses(like the feat Darkstalker). High-end, optimized methods revolve around granting yourself Concealment and denying your enemy's Dex to AC, like having a Ring of Blinking and the 'Pierce Magical Concealment' feat. You can find out more about them in a Rogue or Assassin handbook around here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?527170-Index-of-Minmax-Brilliant-Gameologists-Threads).

As a side note, I'd like to point out you could also be a Swordsage(from Tome of Battle) if you want a less traditional approach. You get maneuvers and stances, two new mechanics from that book, and TWF is a very well supported playstyle. Due to how the book's mechanics work, you could pick your last pre-game level in Swordsage and gain abilities much stronger than in level 1, and that's the intended working mechanic. One Stance gives you +2d6 Sneak Attack dice, just as an example. One feat from that book also grants Dex to damage, which is great for any TWF build. It's a good source book all around.

newguydude1
2020-03-12, 03:01 PM
ok penetrating strike lets me sneak attack undead and constructs so i will give sneak attack a try. gonna research. thank you. i avoided sneak attack before because i didnt like being useless against some enemies.

i will also look at swordsage.

Blackhawk748
2020-03-15, 12:21 AM
Here's a link (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?403434-I-got-bored-so-i-made-this-Assassin)to a solid build that I've actually gotten to play, and it works nicely. The main advantage here is that even if you don't have your SA up for whatever reason, you still have all right damage numbers. You just absolutely blend things when you do get SA