PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Invoker (e10) [PEACH]

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-12, 04:05 AM
The Invoker (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/PMJ-119x)

I got to play a couple sessions of 4e recently and I went with an Invoker, always loved the fluff and the powers that they got. I made mine a wrathful variant and went all "smiter gonna smite" sort of route (I played an Invoker of Eros though...).

So, what would an Invoker look like in 5e? Well, a Celestial Warlock is close as would be a blasty Cleric. Neither of those really fit. Both could easily mix it up in melee if they wanted to and the Invoker is more of a wizard than a mixed class.

The Paladin caught my eye. No one does "smite" like the paladin, so how do we translate that over to a caster? Well... Make a caster paladin!

Now, this Invoker is one part Paladin, one part Warlock, and one part all the hopes and dreams I have of ever getting an official adventure centered around The Living Gate or a setting based around the beginning of the Dawn War.

Anyways...

This is done with e10 in mind as my tables only run up to 10th level unless we do a one shot here or there.

Some notes...

Saving throws are Constitution and Intelligence. This class doesn't have the flexibility of the wizard and I was taking notes from the Warlock which is Con and Cha. Same idea with the HD being set at d8.

First level is going to be a pain, I actually like the idea of first level being a pain for this class, it makes the rest of the class earned. However, you aren't without anything!

The spell list is filled with different ways to smite an enemy and not a whole lot of utility, though some is there to round out the flavor.

The class is centered around casting Sacred Flame, much like how a Warlock will be abusing eldritch blast. The biggest difference is that this Invoker can use Invoke Smite, which is divine smite but for Sacred Flame. A bit less damage, placed it at d6, but that makes up for the range.

I feel like I should reduce the spell list but I like where its at conceptually. Invokers are not about playing around, they gonna smite you and they are going to smite you in ways you never been smote before.

So, the big question is, why not play a blasty cleric? Well, can a cleric SMITE with Sacred Flame? Nope. Sure the Invoker won't keep up with a Paladin and the other top tier damage dealers*, but, 2d8 + Int at-will radiant with the potential of dealing an additional 3d6 radiant at level 10 ain't bad for a nerd. Plus the subclasses are cool. Also, no one can sniff out heretics, or really anyone starting at 10th level, like the Invoker.

* Might add a feature in that allows the Invoker to split up Sacred Flame into two 1d8 spells, much like how Eldritch Blast works, but Smite may have been a bit much there.

Still gonna work on this to get things ironed out, as this was made in a few hours, but it's a start that I really enjoy.

Edit
I think I'll change Malediction and Wrath 3rd level feature to once per long rest at level 3 and then once per short or long rest at level 10