PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What Pathfinder class fits Dak’kon from PS:T the best?

EisenKreutzer
2020-03-12, 07:17 AM
So, I’m replaying Planescape: Torment again, and its as glorious as it always is.
It’s got me thinking though: Dak’kon is perhaps my favourite character in the game, next to Morte. The philosophical conversations you can have with him, the unique way he talks about his way of life and the glimpse into Githzerai culture he provides are just awesome. Plus, hes a fighter/mage, which was my jam back in AD&D.

But Pathfinder is my jam now, and I am running a planes-focused campaign. Having Dak’kon or a character based on him show up for a song and dance routine would be kind of fun.

So, what class could he be? He is a gith, so psionics are on the table. Psychic warrior fits him very well, but in the game he is an arcane caster. Magus is another interesting option, and a multiclass fighter/wizard into eldritch knight could definitely work.

Ideas?

Kurald Galain
2020-03-12, 08:02 AM
A good fit seems to be Magus with Mindblade archetype.

Magus overall is much more effective than Eldritch Knight, unless your strategy is to cast 7th- to 9th-level spells while holding a sword in your off-hand (in which case, why not go full wizard?)

Ssalarn
2020-03-13, 04:45 PM
I think the main reason he wasn't a psionic caster in the game is because they didn't want to program in a whole additional set of rules for effects that were similar-to-but-different-than the game's core engine. If I were playing Dak'kon, I'd probably go the psychic warrior route, or maybe get a little more complex and do a multiclass psion/fighter build (depending on how important specific effects might be to how you perceive the character).

Arkain
2020-03-14, 01:34 AM
Gifted Blade Soulknife might be another option. A small, but changeable array of powers and a huge focus on the mind-blade thing and all the wonderful things it can do.

Aotrs Commander
2020-03-14, 01:55 AM
I think the main reason he wasn't a psionic caster in the game is because they didn't want to program in a whole additional set of rules for effects that were similar-to-but-different-than the game's core engine. If I were playing Dak'kon, I'd probably go the psychic warrior route, or maybe get a little more complex and do a multiclass psion/fighter build (depending on how important specific effects might be to how you perceive the character).

Also AD&D psionics rules were absolutely pants-on-head arse-backwards and probably single worst set of rules I've ever had the misfortune of owning. (And given AD&D itself was mechanically a pants system to start with, that's saying something.)

I'm not even sure you CAN multiclass psion in AD&D, actually.

FaerieGodfather
2020-03-14, 02:41 AM
I'm not even sure you CAN multiclass psion in AD&D, actually.

Yeah, you can. At least if you were a Dwarf or Halfling, who both had the option of Fighter/Psionicist or Psionicist/Thief. Multiclassing was much broader in Dark Sun, with every nonhuman race being able to double- or triple-class in almost any combination.

Githyanki and Githzerai weren't a "psionic race" in AD&D, though. They had psionic abilities in their Fiend Folio entries, but in AD&D2 they were only as likely to be psionic as anyone else-- PSCS gives Githzerai class options as Fighter, Mage, Thief, and Fighter/Mage. They had an Intelligence bonus and a Wisdom penalty; there's a lot of this nonsense in 3e that got reverted in 4e and 5e.

Psyren
2020-03-14, 12:56 PM
Reading his wiki entry I'm seconding Kurald's Magus suggestion. He seems to be very sword-focused, so topping out at 6th-level spells for a smoother fusion of the two styles seems to fit best.

Endarire
2020-03-15, 08:06 PM
PS:T's class structure is coded in such a way as to be less internally flexible than BG1/BG2. In short, technical limitations made him what he was.

Psychic Warrior or Magus would likely fit him as a single class. Or, go Psion/X/Phrenic Slayer OR Arcane Caster/Something/Eldritch Knight.