PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How to craft magical rooms/buildings?

flamewolf393
2020-03-12, 12:18 PM
Is there a RaW way for players to craft magical buildings? Like a temple that casts healing spells on entry, or a brothel with cure disease, or a schoolroom that grants a +6 Int bonus. Things like that.

Psyren
2020-03-12, 01:54 PM
I don't know about whole buildings, but traps can be used for this - just have the effects be beneficial instead of harmful and stick them in doorways and other high-traffic areas.

Omoikane13
2020-03-12, 01:57 PM
Stronghold Builder's Handbook p. 43 has a big list of magical items that can be useful with regards to a stronghold; this doesn't answer your question directly, but does imply that magic item functionality can just be used almost as normal.

Page 69, however, is much more your style. I'm not sure how much detail I'm allowed to go into, but it has rules for everything you'd need. Essentially, you first need to cover the base costs, so you'd use your preferred method to determine the value of a church or whatever. Then, you just need to determine whether the item's removable or not, like a rug. In the case of a building or a room, it's not. That gives you a price of 500*spell level*caster level for a permanent effect. So to provide a quick example, a brothel with a permanent remove disease effect would cost 500*3*5 = 7,500gp, plus the costs of the brothel itself.

Zarrgon
2020-03-12, 05:53 PM
Is there a RaW way for players to craft magical buildings? Like a temple that casts healing spells on entry, or a brothel with cure disease, or a schoolroom that grants a +6 Int bonus. Things like that.

Yes, see the Stronghold Builders Guide. Also you don't really need to make a whole building for most things. You don't need a temple to cast a healing spell, you can simply make an archway or door way or booth or any other such item.

Also you can make boon traps, found in the Dungeonscape book, that are just like normal traps, but they have a good beneficial effect.

The old Wizards web articles also had spell clocks, that could cast spells at set times, but I'm not sure where to find that article now.

flamewolf393
2020-03-12, 06:34 PM
Isnt the stronghold builders guide 3.0 content? Im not sure it will fly in a pathfinder game.

The traps are an interesting idea, though that makes them really easy to sabotage.

Psyren
2020-03-12, 06:38 PM
The traps are an interesting idea, though that makes them really easy to sabotage.

I mean, you're talking about an auto-cleanse at the brothel. If the trap breaks, it might cause a bit of embarrassment, but people can just pop over to a church/chemist or buy a potion. And someone sabotaging it sounds like a low-level adventure hook to me, with a spicy reward for the PCs if they crack the case. Not seeing the problem in other words.

Zarrgon
2020-03-12, 06:45 PM
Isnt the stronghold builders guide 3.0 content? Im not sure it will fly in a pathfinder game.

Pathfinder has Kingdom Building rules.

unseenmage
2020-03-12, 09:29 PM
The Downtime rules (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/downtime/) include traps as an option as part of a room/building so that's where I'd go for that mechanic.

Porting in Wondrous Architecture from.the 3.0 SBG or Lair Wards (same pricing different name) from Draconomicon could work very well too.

Simply building your rooms as immobile Wondrous items is the most straightforward way.

Jack_Simth
2020-03-12, 10:02 PM
I don't know about whole buildings, but traps can be used for this - just have the effects be beneficial instead of harmful and stick them in doorways and other high-traffic areas.

Traps can go off at range in Pathfinder. The Trigger (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/traps-hazards-and-special-terrains/traps/#Trigger) section lists sight ranges for visual trigger traps. If the effect itself is ranged, then a properly enchanted blackboard can cast Mass Fox's Cunning on everyone in the classroom, no sweat.

Palanan
2020-04-11, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by flamewolf393

Ultimate Strongholds (https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Strongholds-Kingdoms-6/dp/1726274209/) is a third-party Pathfinder book which is intended to be an update of the 3.0 Stronghold Builders Guide.

FauxKnee
2020-04-12, 06:27 PM
I understand that you're focused more on Pathfinder, but I figured I'd mention another 3.5 source for you to draw inspiration from. Races of Stone has rune circles which follow magic item construction rules and pricing formula. (A "immovable" factor, and possibly "usefulness while stationary" price modifier applies.) Some of the example rune circles are kinda wild--one of them allows dwarves to quicken any spell or spell-like ability for free once per turn without limit.