PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gestalt build: monk/rogue or monk/ninja?

Ringtail69
2020-03-12, 03:19 PM
me and a couple friends are going to be running a series of premade adventures from pathfinder and dnd 3.5. and since this game is going for those moments we're hanging out and bored (hence why its gestalt (https://static1.e621.net/data/e2/15/e215affa28e7b345d64518da7eb323e2.jpg) ).

from what i recall the other players were a a brawler/fighter and i think a witch/wizard. we are using d20pfsrd (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/) for our classes/feats/ect.

im torn between the two possible builds so i wanted to see what people thought about the two and see what you guys think.

OrbanSirgen
2020-03-12, 03:42 PM
I don't know about PF, but Complete Adventurer has the feat Ascetic Rogue... It adds 2 to stunning DC if delivered via sneak attack, and rogue and monk levels stack for determining unarmed strike damage... Complete Scoundrel has Ascetic Stalker, which makes monk and ninja levels stack for determining the size of you ki pool and unarmed strike damage...
CAd also has Ascetic Hunter for monk/rangers, Ascetic Knight for monk/ paladins, and Ascetic Mage for monk/sorcerers...

Psyren
2020-03-12, 03:57 PM
Ninja is pretty much already a monk/rogue so I would gestalt it with something else entirely, like Oracle or Summoner.

If you do go with Monk//Rogue, find out if you can use the Rogue's ki pool talent to add ki to your monk ki pool (by RAW this will give you additional ki equal to half your Wis bonus). Also, use Unchained Rogue and go for a finesse build. Note that TWF and Flurry don't stack in PF, so no need to dual-wield. Consider also using Unchained Monk unless there is a regular monk archetype you really want.

Kurald Galain
2020-03-12, 03:57 PM
In gestalt, one of the best things you can do is compensate the weaknesses of one classs with another class that is wildly different. For instance, wizard has poor hit points and saving throws... so gestalting one with monk is an excellent idea. Witch has largely the same strength and weaknesses as wizard, so wizard/witch isn't all that different from a regular wizard; and the same goes for brawler/fighter.

For your monk? Ninja is best for the swift action invisibility effect. That said, gestalt'ing it with any spellcaster is probably more interesting. Or gestalt with paladin and get extremely strong defenses...

Thunder999
2020-03-12, 05:44 PM
If you grab one of the cha based monk archetypes a monk//paladin is pretty awesome. Another great monk combo is Sohei+Inquisitor, flurrying with any weapon works wonderfully with bane and judgement damage and you get lots of nice AC.

A monk//rogue doesn't really gain much over a normal TWF rogue, same for ninja. Sneak attack + Flurry just isn't much better than sneak attack+TWF and really doesn't match up to combos with real synergy.

Magus 6/something martial 14//any caster is always good since broad study lets you use the other caster with spell strike and spell combat.

Antarx
2020-03-12, 07:30 PM
Why not gestalt Monk / Druid? Both are Wis based, you gain spells, shapechange (kung fu-panda fun) and lot of fun features.

Malroth
2020-03-12, 09:40 PM
I'm gonna play devil's advocate and argue that a Monk/Ninja gestault could possibly work IF you're a Quixong Drunken master monk. Stack an easily refillable Ki pool with all the things a Ninja can pull off with essentially limitless Ki.

nedz
2020-03-13, 01:41 AM
Why not gestalt Monk / Druid? Both are Wis based, you gain spells, shapechange (kung fu-panda fun) and lot of fun features.

This is a solid idea. At low level Shillaleagh is a good combo because you can flurry with a quarter staff, and later you can wild shape.
Personally I prefer Spirit Shaman//Monk because it's almost as powerful and has a more coherent flavour — YMMV.

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-13, 05:30 AM
how about a monk/witch with reach hair secondary attacks? or rogue/witch?

Lord Foul
2020-03-13, 10:25 AM
Monk/white haired witch would be quite potent but between the first two options unchained rogue is better unless you really lean into ki power stuff (or you take an archetype of monk that gets rid of your ki pool) in which case ninja might be able to really shine there. Try to take an archetype of one or the other that removes evasion.

Rebel7284
2020-03-13, 01:46 PM
Invisible Monk ACF would help you get sneak attack and, I believe, sudden strike.