PDA

View Full Version : Air Walk

ImpieBA
2020-03-12, 06:01 PM
Does anyone know ways to get Air Walk without sticking in a class for seven levels? I know the half air elemental thing can have it as a sla but that's also a +2 la. If it's just a magic item that gives it to me a few times a day, a class that doesn't need as much investment, whatever works I'm okay. I just want to weigh options.

Troacctid
2020-03-12, 07:20 PM
The Sculpt Self feat can do it, albeit at a fairly steep xp cost. It's from Dragon Magazine, but it's OGL, so you can find it free online here (https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Publication:Dragon_(magazine)/Dragon_304/Prestige_Races).

A string of prayer beads can contain a bead that allows you to cast wind walk once a day. The bead by itself costs 46,800 gp.

An ur-priest, divine crusader, or blade dancer can get air walk in only 4 levels rather than 7.

Thurbane
2020-03-12, 07:29 PM
Cloudwalker Anklets (MIC) 50,000gp

Air Walk is a 2nd level spell for Telflammar Shadowlord and 3rd level for Runescarred Berserker.

Blade Dancer 4 gets it as an SLA 1/day.

An ur-priest, divine crusader, or blade dancer can get air walk in only 4 levels rather than 7.

Also Apostle of Peace.

ImpieBA
2020-03-12, 09:48 PM
That's really cool! Thank you guys! That was a major help! I think I'll save up for the anklets. They seem perfect. Thank you!

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-12, 10:58 PM
may I ask why Air Walk and not Fly? And do you need it yourself or would a mount be also ok?

Just as an example, Horseshoes of Flame only cost about 30k and turns your mount into a nightmarish flying mount with +fire hoof attacks and bla..^^

Winged Boots give you 3/day fly for up to 5min. for only 16k

back to Air Walk.

UMD a Wand would be an option:

- Apprentice feat can give you UMD as class skill for the first 5lvls, later you need to pay doube for ranks but it still has the cap of a class skill. So you can still max it at a higher cost (or take Able Learner to prevent the increased cost)

- Flexible Mind (feat) if you want to play a chaotic character and don't mind to have an aura of chaos (with a power equal to character level) you get 2 skills as class skills to pick (+1 bonus on rolls too). Only requirement is to already have a rank in that skill. Lvl1 you spend 2point into each skill and pick the feat to profit @lvl2 from it. Imho the most elegant and profitable way.

With UMD you need to hit a DC 20 roll to activate a wand. With some UMD and Cha boosting items that is not that hard. E.g. @lvl 7 when a wizard would get access to Air Walk, you could already have 10ranks in UMD and with some items you'll get it soon to work reliably. And not to forget that UMD is always handy for many reasons/spells.

nedz
2020-03-13, 01:33 AM
Air Walk is a 4th level Cleric, Druid and Air domain spell - so getting it with a divine class is easy enough.

Arcane casters can also access this through a couple of routes:
Arcane Disciple (Air domain) 1/day
It's also available for Sorcerers via the Raptorian Sorcerer Substitution Level (RW p162)

Buddy76
2020-03-13, 09:49 AM
Wind Walker is a prc from Faiths and Pantheons. Entry is a little bit of a hassle, but it does give you at will air walking by it's third level (the earliest you can enter it is 5th level, so 8th level ecl). It's also a full bab and full divine casting advancing prc.

ImpieBA
2020-03-13, 05:05 PM
may I ask why Air Walk and not Fly? And do you need it yourself or would a mount be also ok?

Just the character idea. I like the idea of someone that can virtually jump and run around through the air. Flying is notably better, but if I can go with the flavor idea I'd be happy. I'd like to do things like running on water and things like that as well.

The wand is pretty good idea, and I do like the idea of the prestige class. I'm getting some really cool ideas, thank you!

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-13, 10:26 PM
Just the character idea. I like the idea of someone that can virtually jump and run around through the air. Flying is notably better, but if I can go with the flavor idea I'd be happy. I'd like to do things like running on water and things like that as well.

The wand is pretty good idea, and I do like the idea of the prestige class. I'm getting some really cool ideas, thank you!

If you are looking for style instead of just power, you should definitely look into Swordsage and maneuvers from Tome of Battle.

Balance on the Sky (Swordsage 8)
A Stance that gives you air walk. Comes late but you can use it as long you want to remain in the stance.

or

Desert Rising Phoenix: (Sowrdsage 8)
Stance—Hover on column of
super-heated air.

And there are other maneuvers that give you short time fly. e.g.

Searing Charge: (Swordsage 4)
Strike—Fly while charging, deal +5d6 fire damage

and a few others related to jumping too. I would advice you to give it a look if you are looking for style.

you could still add UMD for extra cheese.

nedz
2020-03-14, 07:59 AM

Take a look at False Gravity (Spell Compendium p87) — Sorcerer 3 or Wizard 3
It's a level lower than Air Walk, so might serve as some kind of character progression ?

ImpieBA
2020-03-14, 10:05 AM
If you are looking for style instead of just power, you should definitely look into Swordsage and maneuvers from Tome of Battle.

Yeah! I'm not set on my levels yet, but I'm currently looking at Ninja 5, Psychic Warrior 1, Swordsage 14. I feel like there's better options, but I'm figuring them out. One seems to be...

Take a look at False Gravity (Spell Compendium p87) — Sorcerer 3 or Wizard 3
It's a level lower than Air Walk, so might serve as some kind of character progression ?

I have never heard of this spell but I love this so much. If I can find more spells that fit as perfectly as this one, it might change up my idea for levels. Instead of Psychic Warrior and 14 levels of Swordsage, I could go into Wizard, the go into Unseen Seer for those spells with well placed Swordsage dips to keep my maneuvers going and initiator level up.

I am so excited! I missed this!