PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Playing with stacked templates 3.5: Celestial Alicorn Medusa

Debihuman
2020-03-12, 07:19 PM
Our very own Frathe made an Alicorn Template a while back. See here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?269314-Unicornify-everything!-(The-Alicorn-3-5-template-PEACH) So, naturally, I've decided to add to the Celestial Medusa I was making and now I've created a monster!

Note: I put the spell-like abilities under the Spell-Like umbrella just because it was a lot cleaner and easier to do so. Also the base medusa doesn't have Survival as a skill so I added it with no ranks since the alicorn template gives a bonus to it on it just on its home plane (it gets its normal bonus from high Wisdom).

Yes, it's definitely overpowered but it was fun to make. Use at your own risk.

Celestial Alicorn Medusa
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (39 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+7
Attack: Shortbow +8 ranged (1d6/×3) or dagger +8 melee (1d4+1/19-20) or snakes +8 melee (1d4+1 plus poison) or Horn + 8 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Shortbow +8/+3 ranged (1d6/×3); or dagger +8/+3 melee (1d4+1/19-20) and snakes +3 melee (1d4 +1 plus poison) and Horn +3 melee (1d4+1) or Horn +8 melee (1d6+1) and snakes +3 melee (1d4+1 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Petrifying gaze, poison, smite evil (+6 damage)
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/magic, Darkvision 60 ft., Magic Circle Against Evil, Resistance to Acid 5, Cold 5, Electricity 5, Spell-Like Abilities, Spell Resistance 6, Wild Empathy
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 21
Skills: Bluff +9, Diplomacy +4, Disguise +9 (+11 acting), Intimidate +4, Move Silently +4, Spot +8, *Survival+3 (+6 on Survival checks within the boundaries of their local native environment)
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate marshes on Any Good Aligned Plane
Organization: Solitary or covey (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: —

A medusa is indistinguishable from a normal human at distances greater than 30 feet (or closer, if its face is concealed). The creature often wears garments that enhance its body while hiding its face behind a hood or veil.

A typical medusa is 5 to 6 feet tall and about the same weight as a human.

Medusas speak Common.

A Celestial creature’s natural weapons (i.e. celestial medusa’s snakes) are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Combat

A medusa tries to disguise its true nature until the intended victim is within range of its petrifying gaze, using subterfuge and bluffing games to convince the target that there is no danger. It uses normal weapons to attack those who avert their eyes or survive its gaze, while its poisonous snakes strike at adjacent opponents.

Magic Circle against Evil (Su): This ability continuously duplicates the effect of the spell. An alicorn cannot suppress this ability.

Petrifying Gaze (Su): Turn to stone permanently, 30 feet, Fortitude DC 15 negates. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 15, initial damage 1d6 Strength, secondary damage 2d6 Strength. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day a celestial creature can make a normal melee
attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (maximum of +20) against an evil foe.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Alicorns can use detect evil at will as a free action.

Once per day, an alicorn can use greater teleport to move anywhere within its home. It cannot teleport beyond the boundaries of its local native environment, nor back from outside.

An alicorn can use cure light wounds three times per day and cure moderate wounds once per day (caster level 5th) by touching a wounded creature with its horn. Once per day, it can use neutralize poison (DC 21, caster level 8th) with a touch of its horn. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Wild Empathy (Ex): This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that an alicorn has a +6 racial bonus on the check.

Skills: Alicorns have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks and a +3 competence bonus on Survival checks within the boundaries of their local native environment (included in above stat block).

rferries
2020-03-15, 07:41 AM
To quote Star Trek on the topic of Medusae: "Too ugly to bear, or too beautiful to bear?" :D

I like it (and it's been a pleasure to see you on a roll lately!).