PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "Lazy" Build?

Yakmala
2020-03-12, 11:59 PM
So you've spent the last few months playing a complex character...

Maybe you're a Druid with a Monster Manual's worth of wild shape, conjure and polymorph stat blocks. Or a Wizard that has pilfered and transcribed dozens of spell books. Or a super-optimized triple multi-class with a ton of front loaded abilities...

But now you're in a new campaign. And while you want to have fun and be useful to the party, you also just want to kick back and chill.

Lazy means different things to different people, and there's no right or wrong answer. It could mean less paperwork, or simpler combat options, or less decision making.

What's your personal take on a fun "Lazy" character build?

MaxWilson
2020-03-13, 12:45 AM
Zealot with GWM and PAM, Athletics, Perception, and Stealth. That's as mechanically lazy as they come--just enough combat options to be two-dimensional and not get bored, but few enough options to count on one hand. Doesn't really matter if he ever gets over 5th level so no real pressure to plan ahead.

Because combat is so simple, can mostly forget about it and focus more on characterization, emotion, and relationships, like being grimly cheerful in a Russian sort of way. Fights will take care of themselves. You die or you don't--but in between is life, eh? Bring me another sandwich!

erok0809
2020-03-13, 01:50 AM
Assassin rogue. You don't have very many decisions to make, but combat can still be interesting if you don't have a way to auto-generate advantage for sneak attack, plus you get decent skills for out of combat stuff if you want.

LudicSavant
2020-03-13, 02:43 AM
I regard Samurai archer as a stronger version of the Champion archer, yet still "lazy."

Neoh
2020-03-13, 04:13 AM
I like Barbarians a lot, very lazy but still fun to (role)play.

I'm currently thinking about a Firbolg Bear Totem Barbarian, just a nice little tank with a hell of a lot of lifting power, some magical flavour from Firbolg and Totem spells. He's got a raven following him, it's fun because Firbolg can talk to animals but not understand them in return, but ravens do have mimicry, with both their low intelligence scores, it could make a lot of fun interactions between them.

When I'm REALLY lazy, I just go for a classic Half-Orc Zealot Barbarian 5 and Champion Fighter 3 with the GWM feat. Level progression is easy, put everything else in Barbarian, unless you want the 4th level Fighter for an ASI.

ScoutTrooper
2020-03-13, 07:02 AM
Monk; Drunken Master, Far Traveler . Lawful Neutral
Pick up Sentinel, max Dex and Wis/Con

Runamuck, face tank with the tank or intercept the mobs going after squishies. Get caught up in a few friendly fireballs unscathed. Don't check for pit traps. Roleplay non-combative, and all Jedi peace-talk, smack them down, respectfully dispose of bodies. Oh and don't care for loot, and ask for charity Day Rations, Inn stays, etc.

huttj509
2020-03-13, 07:10 AM
In the upcoming 5e game my friend's running, I'm deliberately going straight Champion fighter. I intend to have a blast attempting to suplex dinosaurs. Not even sure I'll take any feats, let alone GWM, kinda wanting to prove a point to myself. Though if grappling is in use a lot I might petition the GM for Prodigy from XGtE (his first time running 5e, so he's flat out doing Core Only for general character options, and given some BS a friend of ours pulled back in 3.5 he's liable to be leery of exceptions). Though GWM is really good with Champion, probably gonna take that.

My most recent character I had a blast juggling cleric spell cards and options....but I don't wanna deal with that this time round.

stoutstien
2020-03-13, 07:14 AM
I regard Samurai archer as a stronger version of the Champion archer, yet still "lazy."

Second this. The samuri is probably the best representation of being very straightforward to use and highly effective at the same time

MrStabby
2020-03-13, 08:11 AM
Favourite for me is tough. I love meaningful decision and I like a broad menu to pull my actions from so there is a pretty high correlation between fun and complex.

Nevertheless - simplicity for a given level of fun:

1) Draconic Sorcerer. Yeah really complex to build but when it comes to playing it it has the smallest number of spells known to juggle whilst still being a full caster. With good spell choice covering different circumstances you are only really choosing your actions from a modest shortlist anyway. No changing your prepared spells each day, nothing like the paladin with 5 different sets of resources. Furthermore as you get familiar with your spells they dont change much so ease of use increases.

2) Shadowmonk. You get a small number of abilities but they are so different. THere is still choice as you need to chose what to do with your limited options. With a monk it is more about targetting and positioning. I have had good times with monks despite their simplicity

3) Warlock. Very occasionally you might get to cast a spell that isn't eldritch blast but the subset of spells that are good at your highest level spell slot is sufficiently small that it can be an easy pick. Warlock is a bit dull to me if you have a lot of combat but it is quite fun in a social themed games with some careful selection of invocations

FinnS
2020-03-13, 08:43 AM
Oh so easy...
Half-Orc
11 Fighter (Champion)
9 Barbarian (Totem)

What more could you ask for?
200+ HP's, Resistance to almost all damage, free Advantage on all attacks, 3 attacks per round, crits on a 19-20 and double Brutal Critical.

loki_ragnarock
2020-03-13, 09:03 AM
I want to say Champion Fighter, but while they can hit the tactical simplicity, the strategic complexity of multiple feat choices can be paralyzing; you have to possess a clear vision of where you want them to go and what you want them to do. In turn, this means that the chassis has a number of tactical choices entirely dependent on your strategic choices... which makes it surprisingly complex. It'll only be doing one or two things, but *which* one or two things is going to take some pondering. You have to make the mold before you pour the steel.

For a real bean bag chair of a class, go Wolf-Totem Barbarian. Everyone around you gets awesome because you're there, reckless attack every round, str and con bog standard, charge the enemy and face tank them with a great axe. You know who you are, what you're doing, and how much your allies love you. Just sink in and watch it happen. The mold is pre-made for the steel.

Grab the outlander background for good measure; nothing frees you from having to be familiar with the basic lore like not being from around here.

ChildofLuthic
2020-03-13, 09:25 AM
This is such a good topic because I love optimizing but also hate having to think too much at the table. In general, I would say my favorite builds that I've played.

Half-Elf Hexblade. Whether something is near or far, you can hit it with either your sword or your EB. Pick up Eldritch Smite so you never have to worry about what you're going to do with your spell slots. You also have the charisma to be useful in social situations, if your DM decides that he wants to "roleplay" or whatever.

Wood Elf Battlemaster Fighter. Dueling fighting style, and I planned on using SnB mostly, but I did a fair amount of archery too. If I remember right, I used Trip, Disarm, and Goad for my maneuvers.

Half Orc Bearbarian. Especially good in a game where you get lots of long rests and can reliably rage every combat (which, to be honest, is more common than you think.) Reckless attack every turn, so you make yourself a target, but you've still got a million hit points or whatever.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-13, 12:13 PM

Maybe you're a Druid with a Monster Manual's worth of wild shape, conjure and polymorph stat blocks. Or a Wizard that has pilfered and transcribed dozens of spell books. Or a super-optimized triple multi-class with a ton of front loaded abilities...

But now you're in a new campaign. And while you want to have fun and be useful to the party, you also just want to kick back and chill.

Lazy means different things to different people, and there's no right or wrong answer. It could mean less paperwork, or simpler combat options, or less decision making.

Light Cleric + Rogue (3) (can go more rogue but just need 3)

Expertise in Acrobatics and whatever else you want... Perception probably.

Action: Help, Sacred Flame, Burning Hands (or other Dex save spell)

Bonus Action: Help (Mastermind)

Reaction: Disadvantage to enemy on attack. If you take 5 levels of rogue you get Uncanny Dodge.

This is the best lazy build. Medium Armor, not going to get grappled or shoved, and you don't have to ever +actively+ roll a d20. The only times you will ever roll a d20 is when you have to make a saving throw or like to laugh at a shove or grapple.

Spo
2020-03-13, 04:25 PM

Maybe you're a Druid with a Monster Manual's worth of wild shape, conjure and polymorph stat blocks.

Currently playing a tier 3 shepard druid so really liked this part (I don't have a character sheet - I have a binder).

My "lazy" builds in the past were half-orc bear barbarian (rage swing, swing); fighter battlemaster crossbow expert with hand cross bows (pew, pew, pew); and a hunter ranger (twang, twang, twang). All VERY straight forward to play with minimal decision making during combat.

OldTrees1
2020-03-13, 05:14 PM
Paladin of the Ancients 7+ with Inspiring Leader feat.
You just stand there and say a 10m speech once in a while. Occasionally ask for a fireball at your location.

Add Warlock 3 with Aid & Cure Wounds spells.
Now you do even more just standing there. With even more resilient allies.

HiveStriker
2020-03-13, 06:31 PM

Hey ,) Interesting question.

For me it's "less complexity in decision making". So less options than the most versatile fullcasters, less brainstorm about whether my choice is the best and whether enemy will fail the save.

So basically a caster focused on support spells or spells that require no saves. Or a martial with extreme accuracy and occasional ways to do other than just deal damage.

For that, those classes come to mind.
- Ranger: probably the best mix: you have enough martial power to be good in all combats, you can go DEX to grab Elven Accuracy if you want to be extremely accurate. Dip one level in Rogue for Expertise if you want, and/or Druid if you want cantrips and extra spells (including Faerie Fire! Very useful for a ranged guy) and otherwise pick either Mobile or Sharpshooter. Learn only spells that work by themselves like Zephyr's Strike, Spike Growth, Plant Growth and Wind Wall: except the first, those require some thought only to place , but are st and forget kind.

- Sorcerer, specifically Shadow or Divine: first can be made a great single-target debuffer with Shadow (Phantasmal Force, Banishment), otherwise pick Spell Sniper and go Eldricht Blast, going with Twin buff as your fallback tactic. Divine Soul with Extend and Subtle can act as a great social buffer, resilience booster, and counterspeller in fight. Extend can be used on buffs such as Greater Invisibility or Polymorph, or on occasional AOE or disabler (like Banishment, 1mn may be short to dispatch all other enemies).

- Str Thief Rogue: get Mobile, grab Expertise in Athletics, keep loaded in ball bearings and caltrops, usually dual-wield to Shove down and get Sneak Attack, occasionally Shove upon aforementioned for extra fun. Get the best of both by going 5 levels in Battlemaster at some point. :)

- Warlock: go Chain and Eldricht Blast, or Tome + Devil's Sight + Eldricht Blast: in both cases, in fights, you'll use ONE set and forget spell (preferably an AOE or buff) then just drop Eldricht Blast: if even tactics around push/pull are "too much", pick instead Agonizing, Lance of Lethargy (it can only be good) and the "double distance". You'll be a contributor out fight, as far as you want, either scouting with your familiar, or using rituals to take care of some things.

- Kensei Monk: first levels are as hard as usual, except you can also just use a longbow. So actually just do that. Use Ki on Stunning Strike only when you feel it's really needed, and otherwise mix melee and range easier than for most other Monks. Grab Sharpshooter and Magic Initiate for Mage Armor, go full Dex, you're set. Champion Fighter could do that of course, but I still love those bonus action options. :)

Nagog
2020-03-13, 07:47 PM
Bard. Pretty much any college. I know the Bard class like the back of my hand, and I can fill any role required, but if the role is full, toss them an inspiration occasionally and you're good. Everybody appreciates the Bard, and you can do pretty much anything you need to, but you likely won't need to much as long as you aid others in doing so.

Ogre Mage
2020-03-13, 07:58 PM
Cleric -- max wisdom, mediocre strength. Cast bless on the party. Stay out of melee and attack with toll the dead and spiritual weapon.

A warlock with max charisma, eldritch blast, hex and agonizing blast.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-13, 08:01 PM
Everyone is rolling too many dice or making too many choices, way too troublesome.

Y'all need to learn to chill. :smallcool:

AgenderArcee
2020-03-13, 10:13 PM
Half-Orc Barbarian/Champion Fighter. Something very satisfying about just trying to get the biggest crits. Particularly ideal if you can do Barbarian 9+/Champion 3.

For range, maybe a Samurai Fighter Elven Accuracy Sharpshooter archer, for similar reasoning: the satisfaction of sniping someone dead with a whole bunch of damage.

JakOfAllTirades
2020-03-14, 10:24 PM
Scourge Aasimar Berserker. Once per day (and no more) combo Berserk with Radiant consumption and wreck your enemies in style. The rest of the day you're plain vanilla Barbarian with the rest of the Aasimar racial perks. It's a really straightforward concept with lots of RP potential and it doesn't suck in combat or exploration. The Charisma bonus makes it slightly better than most Barbarians in social situations.

FrancisBean
2020-03-14, 11:59 PM
....huh. Everyone here took this as about mechanics, but for me, it's about the non-mechanical role-play. I've had busy times in my life where I really don't feel like making the strategic decisions or getting completely into my character's head. For that, I've got Sonny.

Well, my real name is Saul, but Momma always said that's the sorta name you gotta grow inta. Most ever'body calls me Sonny, ennaways.

See, Sonny was farm-raised as a good, obedient boy. He doesn't have much gumption of his own. He'll never command a room. He's the best example I've ever concocted of a Charisma dump stat who isn't just plain ugly, with a capital Ugh. He's just not a forceful personality.

As his flaw, obviously he tends to listen to other people and take their suggestions or instructions over his own judgement.

Oh, hey, yeah, that sounds like a real fine idea! Thanks, ma'am! I'll go do that right away!

Sure, I typically play him as a Champion fighter with PAM and Sentinel and all that.... But the laziness has nothing to do with the mechanics. It's about putting my usual meticulous tactical and strategic planning on autopilot. When the suggestions come in, even from the wrong sources, I can just follow them.

Gungor
2020-03-15, 07:38 AM
My favorite "lazy" class choice is Battlemaster Fighter. Once I decide on the basic fighting style a lot of the choices write themselves, but there are a tremendous number of options for the character in combat.

I have a few base personalities which I've played over the years to address the "non-mechanical laziness" aspect, often tied to background:

* The soldier who made a terrible mistake, getting his unit killed, and has been trying to make up for it ever since.
* The sage with limited social skills whose intellectual curiosity gets the better of him.
* The folk hero who is convinced he has been called by [diety] to accomplish something great.

Lyracian
2020-03-15, 12:25 PM
Personally I like playing a Dex based Hobbit Barbarian. No spells to think about makes it a lazy build for me.

Dr. Cliché
2020-03-15, 03:36 PM
Probably my Pathfinder Summoner; a fat, 13-year-old Tiefling whose spells were all stuff like Mount, Unseen Servant - anything that would get him out of doing work.

Oh wait, you meant when I'm being lazy - not my character. :smallwink:

With that in mind, I'm quite enjoying a Lycan Blood Hunter at the moment. He has a few tricks but (unlike most of the characters I play), he doesn't have a huge repertoire of spells or such.

Arcane Trickster also comes to mind. It has some spells and tricks, but not a huge range. It also has Cunning Action, quite possibly my favourite ability in the game.

I think these are about the least-complicated characters I'd want to play. I think, for example, something like the Champion would just end up turning me off after a while as it's just a bit too one-note. It's maybe something I'd try for a one-shot but definitely not a full campaign.

SLOTHRPG95
2020-03-15, 11:53 PM
My go-to for a "lazy" build tends to be any more passive/supportive build. Not incompetent on their own, but focuses on letting the rest of the party shine. Life Cleric is an obvious fit for this, but I find that a Devotion Paladin with Resilient (Con) works well. Good defensive auras, healing that doesn't compete with spell slots, a built-in 1/SR accuracy boost to make you feel less bad for going CHA > CON > STR, and the base Paladin list has plenty of juicy group buffs: Bless, Aid, Crusader's Mantle, Circle of Power, etc. Basically, you share the love with your spell slots, and don't smite nova. Although you still can, if the situation calls for it.

warmachine
2020-03-16, 06:58 AM
One I'm playing now, Variant Human Rogue with Luck feat. No spells but bonus action to dash or disengage grants a surprising amount of opportunity in battle whilst Luck means not needing to guess enemy tactics.

da newt
2020-03-16, 10:19 AM
LOTHAR: the Bear Totem Barbarian / BM Fighter Bugbear w/ PAM - attack at 15', get OA when they close to engage, multiattacks w/ rage + dueling + maneuvers + ST bonus piles up pretty quickly. Menacing and Riposte were favorites.

Nothing really optimized, but effective and simple. He was also a teddy-bear of a character out of combat.

sambojin
2020-03-16, 08:45 PM
Firbolg War Cleric with the Pirate background.

It's not that there's not heaps of options of what to do, it's just that you can do plenty of things (and get away with them) without any hassles.

You've got the exact stat boosts you need, can pack-mule *all the stuff* when you need to, and can just cast Bless and do nothing and still be doing heaps. The occasional bonus action attack or +10 to-hit, with heavy armour and a shield, gives you a surprisingly easy run up to level 5, by which time you're a proper combat/ full-list caster anyway. And at level 6 you make the party's reliable damage/ openers/ novas explode in value.

Good RP, good stealth/disguise, lazy cleric spell lists for any potential future problems, enough melee damage/AC/oh-sh1t!-invis-time that you can do that a bit, and enough buffs and bonuses that you can just do that and still contribute heaps. You're also at Fighter levels of "I *need* that item, *and* I can use it, you can't, so it's Mine! Me, me, me, me! All the magic armour and weapons! All Mine!"

Want to go front line? Go there, hit stuff. You're pretty good at it, comparably, until lvl5. Want to just cantrip and buff and emergency heal? Sure, you're still good at it. Cruise that stuff through. Mid-range? No worries, that's where you're best, dodging in with SW/SG/attack actions so that you're still doing damage, or retreating to War buff a proper melee/shooty party member to oblivianate something while still having a slow/damage aura to save the squishies. Hit a non-combat section of the campaign? Disguise your way through, or tell animals to do stuff, or flick on your magic vision. Skill challenges? Meh, you've got athletics and perception (one of which are probably made into "pick whatever you want" by your class choices/ background), Guidance, Enhance Ability, a bit of divination, and a god to pray to. Feel like you'd like to punch someone in the head, commit minor property damage, or do a bit of crime, but you probably shouldn't? You're a Pirate baby, you do what you want!

They're simple, but definitely not boring to play. No long-term planning needed, just +Wis and grab Resilient(Con) or Warcaster somewhere along the way (about lvl8 or 12).

In the fairly light and fun and lazy future, there is only War (clerics)!