PDA

View Full Version : Need help breaking siege weapons in 3.5

jschafer
2020-03-13, 03:42 AM
Just what the title says. I need to stat out siege weapons, preferably ballista but I'm not picky, to do the craziest stuff they can. Stupid amounts of range, damage, whatever. The only catch is, that the weapons can't be required to be operated by people higher than ECL 5. I already have the moving platform I am going to put them on figured out. So I have the armor and treads for my Tank figured out, now I just need the canons.

OrbanSirgen
2020-03-13, 03:48 AM
Have you checked Heroes of Battle and Stormwrack? They both have stats for catapults, ballistae, and such...

jschafer
2020-03-13, 04:28 AM
I know where the basic stats are, those are easy. I want to make them as OP broken as I can

TheTeaMustFlow
2020-03-13, 12:25 PM
Necromantic Siege Weapons (Heroes of Battle, IIRC) are very good. For a mere 3000gp extra, every shot reanimates 20hd of corpses around where it hits for 10 rounds. They’re uncontrolled, but given the range you should be attacking from that’s not much of an issue.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-03-13, 01:39 PM
+1 spell-storing ballista bolt with Mind Mage-enhanced CL 120 Astral Fire erupt stored inside.

Yes, you need a 20th-level character to make your ammo, but it can be operated by a first-level character.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-03-13, 04:41 PM
Combining a Lightning Ballista (Heroes of Battle) with a Stormship (Eberron Campaign Setting) lets you shoot lightning bolts every round instead of every minute. Combine with a Lightning Turbine (A&EG) to also make the ship they're mounted on just about as fast as possible.

If you want to optimize the one firing the siege weapons, I've always wanted to combine the Ballisteer prestige class (web) with Profession (siege engineer).

OrbanSirgen
2020-03-13, 04:51 PM
Sometimes all you need is proper positioning... A group of siege weapons high up that can target an open field is much better than the same group in a valley covered in a thick forest...

daremetoidareyo
2020-03-14, 09:53 PM
there is a touchstone feat that allows you to summon a githyanki crew of like 10 warriors. Combine that with the soulbound weapon psychic warrior acf keyed to a siege weapon, and you got the staff to reset the beast. You can summon a different siege weapon weapon with a different magical enchantment each time you manifest the power.

Due to this "If you relinquish your grip on the weapon you called for 2 or more consecutive rounds, it automatically returns to wherever it originated."

If you used link power metapsionics, you could Summon two seige engines with different magical bonuses added, and just keep running between the two. While your githyanki staff do the reloading on one as you shoot the other.

fallensavior
2020-03-15, 05:35 PM
Craft siege weapons with wand chambers. Insert wands of True Strike.

If you want to get really broken, cast Shrink Item on ammunition that is 4 sizes too large.

schreier
2020-03-15, 09:10 PM
I was building a spelljammer ship and had a similar issue ...

I took arcane ballista from Everton (forge of war of 149) - basically construct ballista

Added rudimentary intelligence (dragon 327) which gives int of 1/2 CL of the maker

Then took feats to get point blank shot and precise shot

Which is required for the splitting enchantment

tiercel
2020-03-18, 12:57 AM
Presumably, it pays to remember augment crystals, e.g. if you are concerned about someone ELSE breaking your siege weapons, there is the Crystal of Adamant Weaponry for added hardness. (Probably most of the offensive crystals matter less when scaling up damage to siege levels, but if you are firing to hit areas, then adding +1d6 or +2d6 to an area hit ain't shabby.)