PDA

View Full Version : 5e Sleep spell vs. Cover: How would you rule.

Whiskeyjack8044
2020-03-13, 11:16 AM
I'm about to run Forges of Fury. One of my players loves to use the sleep spell. 3 enemies with bows will be firing from arrow slits (3/4 cover). They are spaced 25 feet apart. A good move by the player would be to cast sleep, however he would not be able to see inside the slit.

If he cast it at the front of the slit I will rule that it will knock out the enemy in that firing hole, but I'm unsure if it will affect any other enemies within 20ft. Would you rule that Sleep operates more like a gas and will affect anyone within its radius so long as the chambers are connected, or would full cover stop it from affecting someone?

JumboWheat01
2020-03-13, 11:47 AM
This spell sends creatures into a magical slumber. Roll 5d8; the total is how many hit points of creatures this spell can affect. Creatures within 20 feet of a point you choose within range are affected in ascending order of their current hit points

So from that reading, since you don't have to target a person, just a point, cover wouldn't matter.

A target with total cover can't be targeted directly by an attack or a spell, although some spells can reach such a target by including it in an area of effect. A target has total cover if it is completely concealed by an obstacle.

Total cover doesn't protect against all spells, so nothing says Sleep can't hit them regardless.

E’Tallitnics
2020-03-13, 12:02 PM
RAW:
The Sleep spell doesn't have the "see" component for targeting so the caster can place the point of origin anywhere they wish within 90 feet as long as there's a clear path to that point. Through an arrow slit would count.

Once the spell goes off the effect radiates out from the point of origin and anyone the effect touches is affected. It does not have the "goes around corners" component so the lines of effect are straight out from the point of origin. Total cover would block these lines, but anything less would not.

See, "Targets" and "Areas of Effect" on page 204 of the PH.

RAI:
Think of this as a "light bomb" that goes off from the point of origin and anyone that light would touch is affected by the spell.

"Cover" is highly subjective as a 'tree' doesn't give total cover RAW but in my book a gnome behind a large tree wouldn't be touched by a light shining its direction from the opposite side of said tree.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-13, 12:13 PM
Personally, I'd let it happen. The caster doesn't even get to choose what creatures are impacted, because of how Sleep works.

That is, it works by:

Roll a dice pool
Determine what creatures are at risk of being afflicted within range.
Weakest creature goes first. If their HP isn't bigger than the dice pool, reduce the pool by that amount, and the target is asleep. Repeat until there are no awake targets or the pool isn't big enough.

If Sleep had you choose what targets to afflict first, it'd matter, but Sleep instead feels like an "Area Hex".

But also, it's a pretty smart idea. Knocking out a small group of archers is pretty dang smart, and the party doesn't even have the means of dispatching the archers while they're asleep very easily. A player using a resource for a temporary solution is exactly the kind of stuff I'd want to encourage.

Whiskeyjack8044
2020-03-13, 04:51 PM
I agree, but I wanted to be sure. If any of you are familiar with the Dwarven Door encounter from Forges of Fury, it is potentially a real challenge that won't offer many good options other than dodging into cover. This would be a great solution. Plus the players wont be able to see how many they put to sleep.

While thinking of it as a "Light bomb" is a super great idea, in this case if it was light it wouldn't touch the other enemy. There is a half wall between the archers.

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-03-13, 05:41 PM
Let us know what they decide to do and how it goes. In fact, I DM'd that and enjoyed it very much so let me know how the whole mini campaign goes.

Its been a few years. I don't think the average roll for sleep will turn the encounter totally off but its still a very smart move.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-13, 08:02 PM
Sleep is already a mediocre spell, might as well let it shine when it can.

Whiskeyjack8044
2020-03-14, 08:11 AM
Let us know what they decide to do and how it goes. In fact, I DM'd that and enjoyed it very much so let me know how the whole mini campaign goes.

Its been a few years. I don't think the average roll for sleep will turn the encounter totally off but its still a very smart move.

I will! We are consoling ourselves over the economic collapse with a week long marathon of DnD.

It's been modified to build up to Red Hand of Doom. The enemies are Hobgoblins instead of Orcs and the Goblins all have +1 weapons.