PDA

View Full Version : How should the Samurai and Champion be different?

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-13, 11:52 AM
I feel like the Samurai and the Champion both fit the exact same niches:

Equally effective at range and melee.
Priority on dealing high damage.
Priority on receiving additional punishment, especially when low on HP.
Offers slight additional support on skills.
Synergizes well with feats.
Very low difficulty ceiling.

With the only major differences being that the Champion has passive abilities while the Samurai uses resources, which really only means:

Samurai is slightly more complex than the Champion.
Samurai is better with fewer combat rounds per day, while Champion is better with more.

What do you think should have happened to the Samurai and Champion subclasses to give them more identity?

Champion:

Starting at level 3, your Strength Bonus now includes half of your normal Dexterity Bonus (rounded up). The same is true of your Dexterity Bonus now including half of your normal Strength Bonus.

This maintains the simplicity of the Champion, while giving them the unique niche of a "hybrid" martial.

Samurai:

Fighting Spirit no longer grants Advantage on their attacks but still grants the Temporary Hitpoints. Attacking with the Attack Action gives a bonus to your hit and damage equal to the THP granted, but hitting a creature with this bonus causes you to lose the THP. If a creature attacks you while you have these THP, you may make a weapon attack against that creature after their attack without spending your Reaction.
Fighting Spirit uses are reduced to 2, but changed to a Short Rest feature.

This turns Fighting Spirit into both a defensive or an offensive feature, depending on what you think you may need. Currently, FS is always both and requires no decision process (which is exactly what you don't want out of a limited resource with no competition). This gives you a number of strategies to play with, since you can take the Dodge action on one turn to maintain your THP for as long as possible, land a bunch of extra attacks, and then use the leftover THP on the next turn on a big attack before using FS again.

Really, I just feel the Champion should always be "A consistent brute that revels in its simplicity", while Samurai is "Talent mixed with experience. He's faster, more lethal, or more intelligent, and he only needs one of those to kill you". As-is, most the Champion's benefits are underpowered, and the Samurai mostly just ends up being a Barbarian in plate (which is kind of the exact opposite of what you'd want out of a Wise Samurai).

fbelanger
2020-03-13, 03:56 PM
I would replace remarkable athlete by jack of all trade.
The samurai is fine.

djreynolds
2020-03-13, 07:08 PM
Oh please don't get me started.

I wanted for the champions what the paladin of heroism got with mighty deed.

Where your critical hit was a boon to the party.

It is a playable archetype because the base fighter is great.

It's just critical hits just happen... no control. But if something AWESOME happened on that critical hit that affected the party.... that's cool. And if you rolled a 1... a negative.

Now the champion isn't just out there swinging a hammer but is your party's champion.

Samurai though really is dependent on needing short and action surge to make great use of fighting spirit

The champion really needs advantage to get more crits.

They're seemingly on the opposite sides. But samurai doesnt need crits... because of SS and GWM. And elven samurai archer is down right nasty with elven accuracy and sharpshooter. 3 times a day

The best champion IMO uses PAM or TWF... Now that shield master sucks. And should be half orc. And try to get advantage.

Champion with 2 levels of barbarian is the way.... But it's sad really. Because you have to multiclass.

Remarkable athlete requires max dex and strength to shine... But gets you nowhere.

Champion could be great with a few tweaks.

Samurai really gives some control at least.

Garfunion
2020-03-13, 08:03 PM
I looked over the Samurai archetype and I can’t help but think what if we renamed it to Ronin and give it to the rogue.

Cybren
2020-03-13, 08:18 PM
With the only major differences being that the Champion has passive abilities while the Samurai uses resources,

That's it. That's the difference. The entire impetus behind the Champion is being ultra-consistent and requiring the absolute minimum amount of resource management. They're already meaningfully different.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-13, 08:26 PM
I feel like the Samurai and the Champion both fit the exact same niches:

Equally effective at range and melee.
Priority on dealing high damage.
Priority on receiving additional punishment, especially when low on HP.
Offers slight additional support on skills.
Synergizes well with feats.
Very low difficulty ceiling.

With the only major differences being that the Champion has passive abilities while the Samurai uses resources, which really only means:

Samurai is slightly more complex than the Champion.
Samurai is better with fewer combat rounds per day, while Champion is better with more.

What do you think should have happened to the Samurai and Champion subclasses to give them more identity?

Champion:

Starting at level 3, your Strength Bonus now includes half of your normal Dexterity Bonus (rounded up). The same is true of your Dexterity Bonus now including half of your normal Strength Bonus.

This maintains the simplicity of the Champion, while giving them the unique niche of a "hybrid" martial.

Samurai:

Fighting Spirit no longer grants Advantage on their attacks but still grants the Temporary Hitpoints. Attacking with the Attack Action gives a bonus to your hit and damage equal to the THP granted, but hitting a creature with this bonus causes you to lose the THP. If a creature attacks you while you have these THP, you may make a weapon attack against that creature after their attack without spending your Reaction.
Fighting Spirit uses are reduced to 2, but changed to a Short Rest feature.

This turns Fighting Spirit into both a defensive or an offensive feature, depending on what you think you may need. Currently, FS is always both and requires no decision process (which is exactly what you don't want out of a limited resource with no competition). This gives you a number of strategies to play with, since you can take the Dodge action on one turn to maintain your THP for as long as possible, land a bunch of extra attacks, and then use the leftover THP on the next turn on a big attack before using FS again.

Really, I just feel the Champion should always be "A consistent brute that revels in its simplicity", while Samurai is "Talent mixed with experience. He's faster, more lethal, or more intelligent, and he only needs one of those to kill you". As-is, most the Champion's benefits are underpowered, and the Samurai mostly just ends up being a Barbarian in plate (which is kind of the exact opposite of what you'd want out of a Wise Samurai).

Well, I have my own ideas on the fighter but for just the Champion on a base fighter...

Improved Critical
Keep as normal

Jack of All Trades
Add this feature at 3rd level.

Remarkable Athlete
Starting at 7th level, you have advantage on strength, dexterity, and constitution ability checks.

Superior Fighting
Beginning at 10th level, anytime you roll a 1 or 2 on a weapon attack roll it is treated as a 3.

Keep Superior Critical and Survivor as normal.

MaxWilson
2020-03-13, 08:52 PM
That's it. That's the difference. The entire impetus behind the Champion is being ultra-consistent and requiring the absolute minimum amount of resource management. They're already meaningfully different.

They shouldn't have given it Second Wind and Action Surge in that case. Samurai and Champion have almost the same number of resources to manage, 3 vs. 2.