PDA

View Full Version : D20 Future

Aquaseafoam
2007-10-23, 12:10 AM
Hey all. I was considering DMing a D20 future game, and I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion of the system. Everything I've read so far all seem to be really cool. However, I have no experience with it nor do I know anyone who does.

Zincorium
2007-10-23, 12:18 AM
It's useful, but you need to have a very clear idea of what kind of game you're going to run and decide which rules will work for that. A framework, really, rather than a complete game as most are.

That said, I've had a lot of fun with it, especially with campaigns that would be a nightmare to adapt into other game systems.

Igfig
2007-10-23, 12:37 AM
I've played a lot of d20 Modern, and it's an excellent system. D20 Future messes with it a bit, though. The advanced classes have odd numbers, for one. Worse, there are three separate vehicle systems (vehicles, mecha, and starships) that barely intersect at all; I expect that each section was written by a different designer without any real input from the others. The gadget system for equipment is a neat idea, but turns out to be endlessly abusable (the Miniaturized mod makes a weapon two sizes smaller... that means you can have a 5d6 chaingun or a 15d6 missile launcher as a one-handed weapon. Combine that with the Dreadnought advanced class (they can carry carry two-handed weapons in one hand) and you can blast away with a starship-scale mininuke missile or gauss cannon, one-handed.

That said, it's still pretty good.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-23, 12:39 AM
I must admit to being somewhat underwhelmed by what I saw of the basic Future rules; they seemed to require a lot of jury rigging and fixing up, unlike the sci-fi rules for other game systems, such as GURPS.

Some of the story-specific material such as Star Wars, etc might come in handy for that.

Meh, at least it's better than d20 Modern.

Aquaseafoam
2007-10-23, 12:45 AM
So, any other systems you all might want to suggest that handle things a bit better? Im not quite sure if Im ready to bite the GURPS bullet just yet.