PDA

View Full Version : Gonna DM in an RPG event - Need ideas to challenge every single party member

Arael666
2020-03-13, 01:05 PM
Hello Playground, I need your help to spread the joy that is playing dnd 3.5 :smallbiggrin:

In this april 5th I'll DM a 4 hour, lvl 2 adventure for 4 random people in an upcoming RPG festival in my city (I live in Brazil). Since 3.5 is kinda "declining" here, with so many new systems and editions being published, I thought I would show people that 3.5 is still a very good system to play.

Anyway, I chose the published adventure "a dark and stormy night" and will adjust it a little bit, but the thing I need most help with is to set up challenges in which each party member will be able to feel like "this adventure would no be able to be completed without me". Also, I will provide the character sheets, so I have the power to ajdust somewhat what the character are able to do.

The party will consist of the 4 classic roles (skillmonkey, spellcaster, healer and fighter) but I intend to have 2 character sheets to be selected for each role (a simpler one for new players and a a "complex" one for more experienced players) since I'm aiming for a diverce group with seasoned and new players.

The skill monkey challenge and the cleric one should be easy enough with traps to be avoided and disabled and undead to be turned and destroyed, but I'm having some kind of dificulty with something for the spellcaster and the fighter to do that won't be just to "buff" and "tank".

I'm open to any help or criticism the playground may have, and the point is to make averyone have fun while following the rules as much as possible (I have no problem with rules bending but the point here is to "teach" 3.5).

thanks in advance for the help

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-03-13, 02:31 PM
For the Fighter, something simple like a heavy gate that needs to be lifted up could work.

For the arcane spellcaster, include a simple puzzle that involves arranging a number of objects or activating switches in the right order, etc. according to schools of magic. The objects don't appear to indicate what school they correspond to, but casting Detect Magic reveals a weak magical aura on each, and making a (very low DC in this case) Spellcraft check will reveal the school of each object's aura.

Arael666
2020-03-14, 11:45 AM
For the Fighter, something simple like a heavy gate that needs to be lifted up could work.

For the arcane spellcaster, include a simple puzzle that involves arranging a number of objects or activating switches in the right order, etc. according to schools of magic. The objects don't appear to indicate what school they correspond to, but casting Detect Magic reveals a weak magical aura on each, and making a (very low DC in this case) Spellcraft check will reveal the school of each object's aura.

the spellcaster challenge sounds amazing, I think I'll copy something from those puzzle magazines usually have and change it to the schools of magic.