PDA

View Full Version : Revised Ranger Favoured Enemy tweek.

Nero24200
2020-03-13, 05:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I was a big fan of the revised Ranger for 5th edition, seeing the original ranger in action and feeling it was lackluster. For the most part I loved the Revised Ranger from UA, though there were two elements that bugged me - the favoured enemy and the change to primeval awareness.

While it felt kinda eh to me personally, I could get why previously the Ranger had the ability to exchange Spell Slots to sense enemies. It felt like the designers were trying to make the ranger a magical scout, similar to how the paladin feels like a magical warrior and uses spell slots to fuel his smiting. I can understand them getting rid of that element and making the ability just something the ranger does, but it still took away that element of the ranger's niche.

I dislike favoured enemy for the same reason I wasn't the biggest fan of it's 3.5 iteration - I felt like it made the ranger great in some encounters and mediocre in others.

So with this I've added something I feel can fix both problems, though would this make the new ranger too strong considering it's already gotten a big boost?

TL:DR - don't like the Revised Ranger Favoured Enemy being too good in some situations and mediocre in others, is this a fix that doesn't make the ranger too power?

Adaptive Hunter
Beginning at 2nd Level the ranger can, as an Action, expend a Spell Slot to temporarily change his favoured enemy. This lasts for 1 minute per Level of Spell Slot used.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-13, 06:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I was a big fan of the revised Ranger for 5th edition, seeing the original ranger in action and feeling it was lackluster. For the most part I loved the Revised Ranger from UA, though there were two elements that bugged me - the favoured enemy and the change to primeval awareness.

While it felt kinda eh to me personally, I could get why previously the Ranger had the ability to exchange Spell Slots to sense enemies. It felt like the designers were trying to make the ranger a magical scout, similar to how the paladin feels like a magical warrior and uses spell slots to fuel his smiting. I can understand them getting rid of that element and making the ability just something the ranger does, but it still took away that element of the ranger's niche.

I dislike favoured enemy for the same reason I wasn't the biggest fan of it's 3.5 iteration - I felt like it made the ranger great in some encounters and mediocre in others.

So with this I've added something I feel can fix both problems, though would this make the new ranger too strong considering it's already gotten a big boost?

TL:DR - don't like the Revised Ranger Favoured Enemy being too good in some situations and mediocre in others, is this a fix that doesn't make the ranger too power?

Adaptive Hunter
Beginning at 2nd Level the ranger can, as an Action, expend a Spell Slot to temporarily change his favoured enemy. This lasts for 1 minute per Level of Spell Slot used.

I think Rangers don't get enough spell slots to worry about using them for both features. Honestly, I think your change doesn't go far enough... I just let rangers change their favored enemy during a long rest. Also have a number of favored enemies equal to wisdom modifier. There's no reason to be so restrictive to the martial side of the game.

Favored Enemy
Beginning at 1st level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy.

Choose a number of enemy types equal to your wisdom modifier (minimum 1) to become your favored enemy: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, humanoids, monstrosities, oozes, plants, or undead.

You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your choice that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all.

You choose one additional favored enemy, as well as an associated language, at 6th and 14th level. As you gain levels, your choices should reflect the types of monsters you have encountered on your adventures.

You may change one known favored enemy to another type during a long rest.

----

Do let me say, I like the revised ranger's favored enemy too, but I know people who don't because "moah damage" is meh.