PDA

View Full Version : Anything worth while in the AiME 5e books?

Drache64
2020-03-13, 06:18 PM
If a DM allows anything from any officially published books, is there anything worth while in the Adventures in Middle Earth books? Any feats or spells or classes I might consider picking up the book for?

From what I understand it is lacking in magic, but did any of the classes get a significant boost in martial power or any really good feats to make up for the lacking magic?

Waterdeep Merch
2020-03-13, 06:23 PM
The player options are almost entirely incompatible with regular games. They work on their own logic, even if they share the same underlying chassis. With some effort the classes and races might be useful, but you'll have trouble using them as-is.

It's most useful outside of Middle Earth for a DM that has need of mechanics for traveling long distance or significantly long tracts of downtime, which have their own system here that you can ape pretty easily. The books are also written very well, which is great if you're the sort of nerd that likes sitting down and reading a good RPG even if you don't intend to run it (I've read a few of the books now, cover-to-cover. So, ah, I'm that nerd).

Trask
2020-03-13, 06:23 PM
Some of the feats are quite good, but in general the martial classes are about the same as the ones in default 5e, and the "magic" classes are much weaker in combat (but have a lot of other benefits that pertain more specifically Middle-Earth).

Waterdeep Merch
2020-03-13, 06:26 PM
I might be speaking hyperbolicly, though. It's been a bit since I read through them, I just remember thinking I'd need to work on the options to ever use them outside their own setting.