PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Best alchemical and thrown weapons for someone not focused on either?

heavyfuel
2020-03-13, 06:47 PM
Say you've recently gotten a way to use alchemical and thrown weapons through the Trickster Mythic Path's Deadly Throw ability.

Problem is, you're not really focused on ranged combat, and the other path options somehow fit your character even less.

What are some things you can throw to help out your melee combat?

I was thinking:
- Bolas (even with non-proficiency, you roll twice+1)
- Tanglefoot bags
- Pilums (great against shielded enemies)

And... That's where my ideas ran out

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

unseenmage
2020-03-13, 07:13 PM
If you have access to the technology guide Grenades (https://aonprd.com/EquipmentTechMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Grenade%20( EMP%20grenade)) are a great thrown option. Just beware the enemy throwing them back!

heavyfuel
2020-03-13, 07:42 PM
If you have access to the technology guide Grenades (https://aonprd.com/EquipmentTechMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Grenade%20( EMP%20grenade)) are a great thrown option. Just beware the enemy throwing them back!

No luck for me in this regard. Too bad, they look fun

heavyfuel
2020-03-16, 11:33 AM
Game's tonight. Any chance someone has other suggestions?

ZamielVanWeber
2020-03-16, 11:42 AM
Without knowing your party make-up helping is tricky: but at low levels Alchemist's Fire/Acid* is great for easy damage (also good vs trolls). Stink Oil is great for punishing scent users (again, at low levels). Goblin Vine is a pain to make but is cool vs non-goblins enemies that can fail a DC 10 Fort save. Round it out with some Flash Powder for some of that sweet blindness.

*Later on Alkali flasks are strictly better if you can afford them.

heavyfuel
2020-03-16, 12:40 PM
Just saw the Pilum thrown weapon. It's pretty great against shield-bearing enemies, but these have been pretty rare so far

Without knowing your party make-up helping is tricky: but at low levels Alchemist's Fire/Acid* is great for easy damage (also good vs trolls). Stink Oil is great for punishing scent users (again, at low levels). Goblin Vine is a pain to make but is cool vs non-goblins enemies that can fail a DC 10 Fort save. Round it out with some Flash Powder for some of that sweet blindness.

*Later on Alkali flasks are strictly better if you can afford them.

Party make-up is a Ranger, a Rogue, a Barbarian, a melee Initiator multi-class "buffer", and me, a melee Initiator "debuffer".

We're currently level 8, so stuff like 1d6 extra damage or low DC Fort saves aren't going to help out much if at all.

Still, nice idea reminding me of Contact poisons (like Goblinvine). Might find something useful there. Thanks!