PDA

View Full Version : Max Players Roll20?

WadeWay33
2020-03-13, 08:37 PM
Due to Coronavirus concerns, my group is trying to do a session or two over Roll20. We wanted to know if there was a max limit of players for free accounts. Our group is 6 players and 1 DM.

NRSASD
2020-03-14, 06:38 AM
So far as I know, there is no max limit. I've run 13 player games through Roll20, all free, with no issue.

Anxe
2020-03-14, 10:34 AM
There is no player limit. 6 players should be fine.

If you run into an issue you could also try running the game through Google Hangouts. Some people have better experiences with that.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-03-14, 11:47 AM
I've done six player games over roll20, it works... I don't want to say perfectly, because the more people you add the more likely it'll be that someone will be having internet issues at any one time, but there are no issues inherent to the client. My online groups have typically used a Discord server or something similar to handle the voice chat-- roll20's built-in video/voice used to be spotty, though I have no idea how much it's improved since I last tried to deal with it.

LordCdrMilitant
2020-03-14, 12:34 PM
I don't know the maximum limit. It definitely works with a lot of people.

That said, keep in mind that over a vox call, it can be difficult to get anything if multiple people are talking. Enforcing some kind of radio discipline might be required with larger groups.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-03-19, 04:17 PM
If there is a limit, it'd be one within the software itself rather than one imposed by design. The web app isn't exactly super optimized or super stable. My group sometimes struggles with just the 5 of us so I'd bet the soft-limit is probably somewhere around a dozen, maybe a little more.

Guizonde
2020-03-19, 08:13 PM
from experience, roll20's system is spotty when it comes to having A/V performance. we were 6 with all webcams and mics, and between the video lag and audio glitches, we ended up switching to a discord server and using roll20 just for the dice and battlemaps. if you forego webcams, it's fine up to six confirmed. some lag is to be expected, but nothing jarring. bring the webcam in, and you can forget about performance, though.