PDA

View Full Version : War of shadows OOC

sarlon
2020-03-13, 09:25 PM
Alright guys, heres the offical out of character thread. Keep dice rolls in the IC post, but here ask questions out of character.

to start a discussion, I need all of you to select either your weapon OR armor as an heirloom item, once I have that I'll give a better description of what they exactly look like.

Imladir, I know you have the Book, which I'll describe to the others.

Their Spellbook look like it was bought 3rd hand, torn or missing pages that when opened look like half will fall out, the leather cover is cracked and falling apart and the spine looks like a newborn infant could rip it apart. some of the pages look like they have nasty stains on them, but the pages that do have writing on them are PERFECTLY legible and ueable, but any attempts to write new spells in the book fade away within a few days.

Imladir
2020-03-13, 09:35 PM
Hop, here I am :)

DeTess
2020-03-14, 02:50 AM
My heirloom is my armor (chain shirt as a base).

sarlon
2020-03-14, 10:16 AM
Detess: Chain shirt

This set of armor is rusty in some places that never seem to get rid of the rust no matter what you do to it. the leather straps are half-rotted but any attempts in the past to replace them have met with failure, though there has never been an issue of the straps not holding the armor on perfectly. On the hip area, there is a flat metal disc roughly the size of a quarter (american quarter)that has some strange scratchings on it. Despite all this, the armor fits you perfectly like a glove.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-03-14, 12:37 PM
Raidah's heirloom is her glaive.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-03-16, 08:25 PM
One of these days I'll decide to play a character who ISN'T about 10x as outgoing as me, and it will be so much easier.

sarlon
2020-03-16, 08:30 PM
Raidah's heirloom is her glaive.

urgh....I swear I'm better at replies than this...I'm gearing up to sell things at a convention next month, and a lot of my pieces are hurry up and wait...plus waiting for shipments of clock parts to come in!

Raidah's Glaive:

The blade itself looks half rusted and pitted and the long shaft looks termite ridden and half-rotted, and the blade looks like its held on by half rotted bolts. Despite the fact that it looks like a strong shout would make it fall it pieces when you wield it, it feels like an extension of yourself, almost like it is just an extension of your arms and perfectly balanced.

Imladir
2020-03-17, 06:02 PM
Just a head's up, as you can see on my profile I'm French and things are a bit of a mess at the moment here (compounded with the fact that I was supposed to move to a new town and start a new job there), so if I answer a bit erratically for a while, that's why.

Nothing to worry about, just figured I'd let you know in case it happens :)

sarlon
2020-03-17, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up! Stay safe, and healthy! Our president (America) is living in a constant state of denial and lying so who knows what we're doing.

sarlon
2020-03-18, 05:26 PM
someone give me a knowledge history check, or shadow give me a knowledge religion check (unless your knowledge history is any better)

Imladir
2020-03-18, 05:30 PM
Knowledge [Religion]: [roll0] (minus 9 if only Casmir is allowed to use Religion for some reason).

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-03-18, 09:52 PM
Knowledge: History: [roll0]

sarlon
2020-03-19, 05:20 PM
Religion/history:

Before the formal founding of the world council, a temple of this size would have been the primary seat of the power of that council member/god. Faith magic would have kept it powered for eons. 4 of the gods/council members were aspects of the 4 elements (Shantu: wind; Alturist: Fire; Kol'nari: Water; Lamatu: Earth), with Almira and her husband Mal'turia were aspects of life and death. When the world's central government was established (to keep the world's peace with each race allowed their own laws and customs so long as it didn't interfere with the world law) the four temples were left to whichever race lived nearest. The temples were considered the highest of holy grounds and any settlement near them would be extremely lucky and blessed. The locations are not hidden or forgotten, its just rare that they receive common visitors from outside the villages.

Shantu:
Location: Dragon's Spine Mountain Range, near one for 3 volcanos in the world.

Caretaker: Albright (human male)

Alturist:
Location: Western coast of Aldorva, on the outskirts of the Elven forest.

Caretaker: Illa'tani (half elf Female)

Kol'nari:

Caretaker: Grotak, Firehand Clan (Orc male)

Lamatu:

Caretaker: Ar'visari (halfling female)

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-03-23, 08:43 PM
These History rolls have just been terrible. Hopefully the dice roller is saving my luck for combat.

DeTess
2020-03-30, 09:50 AM
Jep, as Sarlon said, we totally get that real-life is interesting right now and might get in the way of posting, @shadowimmor!

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-03-30, 10:42 PM
Yes, good luck with quarantine. I doubt anyone's living a normal life right now.

sarlon
2020-04-01, 08:57 AM
Sleep dep is a strange thing.......but I had the most amazing dream last night that played out just like a d&d game so things are gonna go a LITTLE differently than I originally had planned. *Insert evil dm laugh here for the next 5 minutes"

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-04-05, 05:35 PM
Raidah's rolls so far: 6, 6, 1, 3. One of these days I'm going to follow through on my threat to make a char focused around nothing but luck feats and rerolls.

sarlon
2020-04-05, 05:36 PM
don't forget to read your PM I sent you just a little while ago.

Imladir
2020-04-06, 02:07 PM
Messed the roll of course:
Perception: [roll0]

sarlon
2020-04-06, 09:11 PM
Hey!!! The one roll you didn't want to fail you did really well on!

Imladir
2020-04-06, 10:04 PM
The one I really didn't want to fail was the Reflex one, but I could hardly have done better, so...

sarlon
2020-04-06, 10:05 PM
I meant notaspiderswarm

sarlon
2020-04-06, 10:07 PM
But a 23 on a +5 mod?! You nailed the crack out of that roll!

DeTess
2020-04-07, 06:40 AM
Quick question about something. The initial briefing mentioned the temple being a day's walk from our teleportation entry point, but we got there in 10 minutes. Is that an OOC change of plan, or something I should maybe bring up IC :P

edit: also, how much time do I have in my next post before something happens again?

sarlon
2020-04-07, 06:42 AM
change in plans....had i dream that I wanted to make into a D&D session and wanted to move things along

DeTess
2020-04-07, 06:43 AM
edit got ninja'd.

edit: also, how much time do I have in my next post before something happens again?

sarlon
2020-04-07, 06:44 AM
the finding of the body and the....incident that just happened was meant to happen fairly close together you're good for now

DeTess
2020-04-07, 06:57 AM
And yeah, before someone notes that, Elva is aware of everything else that's happening, it's just that she gets somewhat easily distracted by the closest shiny/intersting thing, even if there's a lot more going on XD

sarlon
2020-04-07, 08:26 AM
Raidah and Elva....

I'm gonna send you both an individual pm, they will both happen almost simultaneously. Give me about 5 minutes.

DeTess
2020-04-07, 10:59 AM
Oh, nice. I'll edit my post slightly to reflect the new information.

sarlon
2020-04-09, 05:15 PM
Because apperently I get to bored to easily and like drawing maps....

Give me the weekend and you guys will get a full color world map of your world.

sarlon
2020-04-09, 06:40 PM
ok trying this again.....we have your world map....if you have any questions let me know...

https://i.imgur.com/5PXte3p.jpg

DeTess
2020-04-11, 12:02 PM
Hmm, I think I spotted a thing... But that's for Casmir to figure out for now :P

sarlon
2020-04-11, 09:45 PM
Just a heads up guys since I don't want you all rage quitting on this game...

This first fight that's coming up you are NOT meant to win. You won't be permanently dead but there is a specific purpose to my methods.

Imladir
2020-04-12, 11:20 AM
That doesn't sound ominous at all...

And nice map by the way.

sarlon
2020-04-12, 01:35 PM
Alright I chatted with some other dms on what I have planned on this unwinnable fight so to make it easier I'll be setting it up and showing the outcome. Your first reactions will be what happens after that post

Imladir
2020-04-13, 06:09 AM
Well... At least we can only die once, a 1 in Hide won't change much :o

DeTess
2020-04-13, 06:14 AM

Got a 20 in move silently though :P

And with a decent perception I might spot trouble before the hide roll becomes relevant.

sarlon
2020-04-13, 05:53 PM

In the world of D&D....you only die once? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sarlon
2020-04-13, 06:01 PM
I don't do critical failures, but if you roll a 1 on any roll, no matter how high your modifier, you're gonna find out what kind of sense of humor I have :P

Check the newest post of IC for an example.

DeTess
2020-04-14, 03:37 AM
I don't do critical failures, but if you roll a 1 on any roll, no matter how high your modifier, you're gonna find out what kind of sense of humor I have :P

And now imagine someone trying to spot me and rolling under that 12, just completely missing me walking down the hallway like that XD

edit: wow, this really isn't getting any better on the roll department -_-

sarlon
2020-04-14, 06:39 AM
Maybe the rolls are being saved for later when it's important.

DeTess
2020-04-14, 11:50 AM
Maybe the rolls are being saved for later when it's important.

My dice luck does tend to trend that way, so we'll see XD

DeTess
2020-04-14, 12:50 PM
Just to point out: I did not get spotted :P

sarlon
2020-04-14, 06:20 PM
guys, I don't know what's going on, I'm not getting emails saying the posts have been updated.

But since most of you are posting while I'm in bed (most of you are in Europe somewhere I think), expect most of my posts in the morning my time (at time of this posting its almost 7:30 pm my time).

Imladir
2020-04-16, 11:47 PM
I'll have an answer up tomorrow, sorry, the last few days have been busy and I kinda forgot :smalleek:

sarlon
2020-04-18, 08:10 PM
I've sent two of you private messages. Please make sure to read them....and one to respond.

sarlon
2020-04-24, 06:22 AM
hey uh....detess.....I know you're good and all......but that typo in your last post made me giggle.....you're carrying Gods around in your backpack.....now THATS some faith :P

DeTess
2020-04-24, 06:26 AM
You must be mistaken! Certainly I'd never make a mistake like that! And if I did, I certainly wouldn't edit it out to make it look like it was never there in the first place! XD

sarlon
2020-04-24, 06:40 AM
and this post just made me laugh even harder.....Glad you decided to join my game :)

sarlon
2020-04-26, 06:49 PM
She sighs, pulls out her tongs, then mutters. It's never easy. Why can't I just kill minotaurs and get paid for it? It's always got to be messy.

because.....DMs like messing around with their players! It will all make sense I promise!

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-04-26, 10:09 PM
Oh, no worries, I'm into it.

Raidah, though, trains hard and prepares because she wants to do good honest hard work for a fair paycheck, and the world just keeps on not making that easy.

sarlon
2020-04-27, 10:08 PM
*****IMPORTANT DM MESSAGE!!!**********

I know this is for OOC for the group, but I need to ask a clarifying question for something that will be coming up later...

A player has asked me in private what are some of the books. I'll answer that in general knowledge if you wish or privately. So my question is.....HOW many books are you taking? (as many will fit or just the more interesting ones....and what would you deem "interesting" besides the obvious journals.) Give me 3 different perception checks and I'll give you somethings that you deem "interesting". Keep in mind there are probably 1000 or more books in this room, some VERY skinny (like a dozen pages at most) and others that would put the unabridged copy of the Oxford English dictionary to shame.

--------------------------

Second...

I normally do this for my players face to face....but a few of your interactions are going to let me TENTATIVELY try this...

I give all my players hero points....I'll explain in detail here in a moment. You start with 5, they can be lost, used, earned, but NOT traded (you can't give one to another player). They do not reset at every session, but often you can earn several in one session...now granted this is a play by post and will be testing how I award.

Now the Fun info...

Earned: AMAZING RP, sometimes just an off-hand comment at the right time even if your character wouldn't say it personally....you as a player interjected it to make it fit
Lost: NOT the same as using....this one comes up more often when playing face to face when a player argues the rules too much to my face after I've made a decision. Question my rules, I don't mind, make me rethink something....but let it go once I've made the final decision.
Using: This is the simple and fun part....you can use this to reroll ANY roll, you know you botched something that makes you petrified? no problem....use a hero point and reroll....you can use as many as you want, but you HAVE to take the second roll no matter what. I've had a few players use all their points in a single roll because of it being botched would have been MAJORLY bad news.
Something to note....you CAN go into the negative in points, this allows ME the DM to make you reroll a roll, and you have to take the second roll no matter the outcome.

Imladir
2020-04-27, 10:19 PM
Oh you can answer here no problem, I just didn't think of this thread when I asked the question ^^

And I didn't imagine there were so many books. Alyndra would be torn between finding the books she considers the most interesting (to her), and those that are the most precious / rare / old, thus needing to be protected.

And damn, why do I only have Augury and not Divination, it would have made it so much easier :'(

So I'll give you my three perception rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Here are some Knowledge rolls that might be pertinent (though if you don't want then, don't use them of course :D)
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Could have gone better overall, hmpf.

And noted the the hero points.

sarlon
2020-04-27, 10:26 PM
ok...I have to put it in....its an OLD inside joke from my group.....but likes to pop up....there is an EPIC level barbarian novel (its 3 pages long......that's a novel to an orc barbarian).....

its entitled "a barbarians advice to a rogue from 30 feet away"

page 1: Grab it and Run!

Page 2: poke it with a stick!

Page 3: Pull the lever! (blood splotch on this page)

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-04-28, 07:11 AM
Raidah is only looking for the journals. If there’s anything else mixed in with them, she’s not concerned about accidentally grabbing it, and if she sees something like a spell book or “Almira’s Secrets of Creating a Universe” she’ll pick it up, but the journals are the only goal.

As for how many she’s taking? I have 70 lbs of carrying capacity before I hit a heavy load. Raidah wants every journal.
Perception:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

sarlon
2020-05-17, 08:07 PM
Hey guys no one's posted in a while.....anyone still alive?

Imladir
2020-05-18, 07:22 AM
Damn sorry, I read the last message at a time where I couldn't answer and forgot about it. I was waiting for a mail...

I'm posting right now.

DeTess
2020-05-20, 06:20 AM
Yeah, I'm still here. I was waiting for someone to post after my last post, and then no one did and I started not checking the thread as often, sorry.

sarlon
2020-05-23, 04:55 PM
hey guys we seem to be down a player... I've contacted Shadow and not received any kind of response, but i know hes posting in other forums/games (looked at his recent activity). How long do you want to wait to hear from him before we drop him from the game and just continue on?

DeTess
2020-05-24, 01:56 AM
I'd say right now we can continue with RP without strictly needing him. If he isn't back by the next time we're heading out into danger we can make the call then.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-05-24, 11:58 AM
I'm with DeTess. If we don't get a response soon, our next time buying items there's a couple ways to cover for a lack of Cleric support.

Imladir
2020-05-25, 12:32 PM
It should be done before we head out, unless we somehow meet the new guy outside of Lotipac otherwise we'd have to wait quite a bit for him to make a character, get situated and introduced.

Plus if you've sent him a PM and he didn't answer, let's just do it right now.

sarlon
2020-05-25, 01:20 PM
Someone plays world of Warcraft :P

I'm sorry illidan is off world dealing with demons and space goats

Imladir
2020-05-25, 01:27 PM
Well, as a matter of fact, while I've played a lot of MMORPGs, WoW has never been one of them...

sarlon
2020-05-25, 01:30 PM
I think you meant illidari

Imladir
2020-05-25, 01:41 PM
Yep, I fixed it.

sarlon
2020-05-25, 02:00 PM
ok guys I've posted looking for a new Cleric, I'm gonna slow your time in town while I filter a new guy in, lets go ahead with the turning in of the info to Illidari and we'll assume the cleric stayed up at the temple for now.

sarlon
2020-05-25, 05:39 PM
hey guys we have a new cleric.....I'm hashing out details, and will have a character sheet for me sometime tomorrow.

it will be a dwarf....and while I wait for his character we MAY need to recon heading back to town....I need to learn which clan hes from before i decide. He may be walking up on you while still at the temple, if not we'll pick back up in town. So lets pin any future comments till at least tomorrow.

sarlon
2020-05-26, 03:52 PM
ok dwarves of the world...

There are 3 MAJOR dwarf clan areas...

The northern range where you just came from...They are more typical dwarf. the ones you see in fantasy, these guys are master forgers and smiths of most metal products.

The Western barrier range clans....they are more reclusive but work closely with the elven clans to develop wood products and helps with making things for the mining that is almost exclusive to that mountain range.

The southern island dwarves are actually a more interesting clan group...they are shipbuilders, they work on the seas and while they live near a mountain range it's not their primary home. These guys are more like Polynesian groups rather than mountain men. They favor bright colors and light clothing (think their island groups like Hawaii in weather and island type). They typically don't have the full-on face beard other more northern clans might carry because of the year-round temps.

Niobaran
2020-05-26, 04:06 PM
Hello everyone, so I guess now's the time to say hello to you. :smallsmile:

First of all, thanks for having me! I am looking forward to playing with you, and am curious how this all will play out, being dropped into an existing group and all. So, please bear with me if I have some questions in the beginning.

My character sheet is here, if you want to look at it, go ahead, I'll leave that up to you: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2219280 . Still needs some polishing.

If I see correctly, Dark Green is not yet in use as a speech color?

sarlon
2020-06-01, 05:14 PM
alright guys, Shadow is able to come back he finally got in contact with me, life has been....hectic for him. We kinda left his cleric up in the temple and we already have a replacement, so I'll leave it up to you guys if you would like him to be able to come back as a different character. I'll work out details on who he is and where he is and how to work him in, but ONLY if you guys are in agreement.

DeTess
2020-06-02, 04:57 AM
I'm certainly fine with him returning. I can understand that life's happening excessively for a lot of people right now, so I'm certainly willing to accommodate it. I don't have to do most of that accommodating though, as i'm not DMing the game.

sarlon
2020-06-04, 07:12 AM
ok guys, Shadow is coming back as our cleric, and our "new" cleric has agreed to play a different class. he's going to play a ranger. Since he's barely made any posts regarding the character it will not be that big a shock of character change.

DeTess
2020-06-04, 07:15 AM
Sounds good. I'd prefer it if someone else could do the 'catching Casmir up' thing though, as the recent talk has left Elva feeling quite drained, and she kinda doesn't want to do it again.

Niobaran
2020-06-06, 06:04 AM
Yeah, I'm a ranger now. I did not change much in my initial post, since I'll stay with the Shantu worshipping, and he isn't running around with armor and weapons there anyway.

DeTess
2020-06-09, 03:05 AM
Soooo, notaspiderswarm, Imladir, you still with us?

sarlon
2020-07-01, 06:20 AM
ok guys last chance before I move along without the others...

If you are still here and want to continue....leave a message here or PM me that you want to drop out.

I'll give everyone till Sunday, July 5, 2020, for responses.

DeTess
2020-07-01, 07:11 AM
I'm still here, and not going anywhere anytime soon!

Niobaran
2020-07-04, 09:53 AM
I'm still here, and not going anywhere anytime soon!

Same here!

Imladir
2020-07-05, 09:44 AM
Sorry, I'm here!

Just finished my move (yesterday), settled down in my apartment. Internet is not yet up though.

I'll try to have a post up on Monday or Tuesday at the latest, but if you want to post do it, I'll catch up, no worries :)

Tyg3rW01f
2020-07-05, 03:58 PM
Josiah of the Order of the Open Palm

Human male
orphan, picked on constantly
19yrs old
5'9" 150lbs

Josiah was a brawler until he attempted to pick the wrong pocket. The woman was a master monk in good standing with the Order of the Open Palm, and never struck Josiah no matter how much you swung wildly at her. Mostly all she ever really did was do that infuriating trick where they use your own attack to put you on your face/@5$, and taunted him saying, "You hit like a girl, Grasshopper."
She saw potential in Josiah, and when the city guard arrested him, she waited until they had put him in a cell. That evening, the monk came to visit. "I am told your name is Josiah; you impressed me with how you kept getting back up and sticking to your guns. My monastic order would benefit from teaching you."
Josiah looked up, "Lady, I don't know how to read, and you want me to be a pious man?"
"Not pious, a monk. Able to flow like wind in the trees where all others would bludgeon about like stones upon the waves. You are now met with a twinning of paths: join me at the monastery or have formal charges brought against you for attacking a "helpless old woman" and remain a prisoner the rest of your natural life, never again to see the sunlight beyond what comes through your tiny window."
The woman had a firm hand in Josiah's life, taking no **** but--while a strict disciplinarian--she was not unkind; she gave him a good education and what she couldn't teach she brought in a tutor. While not the head of the order, she had high standing and expected Josiah to respect her position in public. After what felt like the longest childhood in history, when Josiah became an adult he was given the choice of staying at the order headquarters or going out into the world and learn a skill to make a living. When he chose to stay with the order, his training began in earnest and he quickly moved up the ranks from earlier training.
While not a full master (that wouldn't be earned for many years and many trials) the Masters encouraged him to apply to the adventurers guild.
After making a small name for himself there, and having earned the Gem of the Order of Adventurers (monk color is purple I think), Josiah was ordered to Lotipac city for a private meeting, get there ASAP for an urgent matter, and to present the letter to any guard in the city for entrance to the council chambers.

sarlon
2020-07-05, 04:01 PM
Guys this is my local friend I told two of you about. It's ok I gave him alot of that back story.

Niobaran
2020-07-06, 08:50 AM
Hello group,

I had originally been re-recruited as cleric, but then switched to ranger when the previous cleric re-appeared. So, I am wondering whether I should continue with my ranger or my cleric -- any preferences in the group?

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2219280 or
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2224614

sarlon
2020-07-06, 08:52 AM
I told him it's entirely his choice....I can make literally anything work.

Imladir
2020-07-07, 08:47 PM
Well, ideally, I'd say pick the one you like most.

On the other hand, there are two questions to ask:
- Did we definitely lose our first cleric?
- And we kinda-sorta have to, what would best serve the party?

I probably would feel safer with a cleric, but all in all, we'll probably adapt, no worries. So go with what you prefer and we'll make it work.

Niobaran
2020-07-22, 04:20 PM
First of all, I would like to apologize for my incoherent posting rate as of late. As a result of overcommiting here in the forums, slight changes in real life, and my general issues with sticking to long-term activities, it started to feel like a burden instead of fun to post. I took time to think on how to proceed, and came to the conclusion that the only feasible approach is to drastically reduce the set of games I am in.

I decided that this game is one that I would like to keep. Still, I feel that I need some time to "collect myself" again and get rid of the anxiety of not having posted, etc. As such, "hickups" in the posting rate may still occur. If you feel that my lack of posting is unbearable right now, or dragging down the game, I would be very glad if you let me know.

Imladir
2020-07-22, 04:24 PM
Up to Sarlon more than anything of course, but it's alright as far as I'm concerned.

I'm certainly not in any position to say anything else after all :o

Imladir
2020-07-23, 07:13 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]

Yeah... Grr, can't edit now...

Imladir
2020-07-23, 07:27 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

sarlon
2020-08-31, 06:44 AM
hey guys we still going the thing? haven't seen a post in a while

Imladir
2020-08-31, 08:43 AM
I can answer if you want? I wanted to let someone else answer before I did again, but...

Tyg3rW01f
2020-09-02, 09:44 PM
Every time I get involved in a play-by-post, it dies within two weeks to a month.

Imladir
2020-09-03, 08:21 AM
Well I'll answer and we'll see how it goes.

Niobaran
2020-09-03, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone,

sorry for coming back to you so late. I finally admitted to myself that it's not really working out for me to continue my forum games in the long run.
I am sorry if you were worried about me, please rest assured that I am really fine, and there is no reason to worry at all. I just somehow lost touch, and don't feel like returning.

Thank you for your efforts and patience.

All the best,

Nio

sarlon
2020-09-15, 06:37 PM
hey guys, I just had a thought....we're about to deal with combat soon (spoiler alert there ;) )and I want to layout in advance how I handle it.

post can be in any order once the initiative has been rolled, I'd like to see posts for combat look something like this...

I move to goblin (A) and swing my weapon at them...

(insert dice roll accordingly here)
(insert damage dice roll here)

If it is a spell that has a save of any kind, tell me the spell, the negative outcome (if they lose the DC), and the positive outcome (if they beat the DC) and of course what the DC is and what it's based on.

assume you hit and roll damage already so that when I go to post reactions (ie what everyone's outcomes are in one big post) I don't have to wait for damage rolls which will then slow down combat. These don't have to be long intensive posts, just something you'd say/do around an actual tabletop game.

Also, it seems we're down a cleric (again), so rather than delay the game further, I'm making an NPC cleric that will be introduced...I think you'll like him. ;)

Imladir
2020-09-16, 01:34 AM
Works for me.

DeTess
2020-09-16, 01:58 AM
Since you're doing the reactions in one big post, can we add conditionals in ours? For example, if we're fighting three goblins and a hobgoblin, and imladir opens with hitting the hobgoblin with a spell, could I say something like 'if the hobgoblin survives/passes his save, I do x, otherwise I do y'?

sarlon
2020-09-16, 07:48 AM
Detess, yes that works perfectly

DeTess
2020-09-17, 02:07 PM
Tygerwolf, the first post in this thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?257924-Guide-to-Play-by-Post-Games explains how to do forum dice-rolls in the spoiler tab under 'Using the Forum Dice Roller'.

Imladir
2020-09-19, 05:22 AM
I cannot remember how to do it in post...

{roll=Reason}1d20+7{/roll}
Forum > Play-by-Post Games > Finding Players (Recruitment) > Dice Rolls> This is how you use the Dice Roller (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?360837-This-is-how-you-use-the-Dice-Roller)

sarlon
2020-09-25, 09:28 AM
[roll0] treying this again

Imladir
2020-10-03, 03:20 PM
[roll0]

Here are the mandatory 10 characters before I am allowed to post.

Imladir
2020-10-03, 03:28 PM
[roll0]

Still as mysterious, but this time with +INT.

DeTess
2020-10-04, 03:55 AM
Bluff, in case its needed : [roll0]

Tyg3rW01f
2020-10-11, 08:28 AM
still here, guys... just waiting for everyone to catch up with my screwed up sense of time. Once we get to the next morning after the library, I'll be back to posting.

Tyg3rW01f
2020-10-22, 09:35 PM
lets reroll the fort save from earlier... as per Sarlon...
Fortitude[roll0]

sarlon
2020-10-29, 02:35 PM
we let the fates decide!

[roll0]

DeTess
2020-10-30, 02:21 PM
I'm reaching for the (metaphorical) initiative dice now, if anyone wants to tackle me before I actually initate stuff, now's the time.

Imladir
2020-10-30, 03:02 PM
I was about to too anyway, so…

[roll0]
[roll1]

sarlon
2020-10-30, 03:08 PM
Do that in the IC channel, and lay out what your doing when it's your turn (assume you may not go first. Orc is ready for a fight you wouldn't have to tell him twice, he'll follow your lead.

DeTess
2020-11-02, 02:33 PM
Sheesh, a 1 and a 20 XD

I'd have preferred it the other way around though, in all honesty.

Vertigo is a close range spell btw (35 feet range).

sarlon
2020-11-02, 02:37 PM
Hey guys, the orc is going to be played by a friend of mine and tygers, so if a new player starts posting do not report them please :)

DeTess
2020-11-05, 02:39 PM
A small correction to what I said in the thread: The spell save is actually DC17, (or DC18 if the target is flat-footed) because I have spell focus (illusion).

sarlon
2020-11-15, 10:16 PM
won't let me add this roll so this is for the orcs, inictive

Initiative for orc: [roll0]

sarlon
2020-11-15, 10:28 PM
fort (incase he gets hit) [roll0]

Tyg3rW01f
2020-11-16, 05:54 PM
will save [roll0]

DeTess
2020-11-17, 12:33 PM
Oh, I forgot the bonus from haste as well. So that touch attack is at least a 12, and probably a 16 against flat-footed if the guy is properly flanked and can't see invisible people.

DeTess
2020-11-17, 01:45 PM
will save: [roll0]

Imladir
2020-11-20, 08:21 PM
Grr, grr, failed my rolls.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Imladir
2020-11-21, 08:27 AM
Here it is:
[roll0]

DeTess
2020-11-29, 11:15 AM
because I'm probably going to be asked to roll at least one of these:
will: [roll0]
fort: [roll1]
reflex: [roll2]

DeTess
2021-01-19, 05:18 AM
Listen: [roll0]

DeTess
2021-01-23, 02:55 AM
@imladir, I promise I'll start opening up about what Elva knnows soonish, there just hasn't really been time since she stumbled across a trove of info.

Tyg3rW01f
2021-01-24, 09:13 AM
just FYI... disregard in the event I was reading everything of the last many posts incorrectly...

Josiah is a human male of average features and height... not a dwarf?

Tyg3rW01f
2021-01-24, 09:17 AM
also.... thumbs up to those who caught the reference in my post about Josiah meditating outside.

DeTess
2021-01-24, 09:48 AM
just FYI... disregard in the event I was reading everything of the last many posts incorrectly...

Josiah is a human male of average features and height... not a dwarf?

Ahm... oops? I'll correct that. For some reason I thought you where a dwarf -_-

Tyg3rW01f
2021-02-06, 10:56 AM
I am going to be silent for a few days.

I lost my job and am searching out a new one. Thoughts, vibes, prayers.

Tyg3rW01f
2021-02-23, 02:08 PM
i got the job at john deere!!!

DeTess
2021-02-23, 02:28 PM
i got the job at john deere!!!

Congratulations!

DeTess
2021-03-19, 10:47 AM
knowledge(local) [roll0]

Imladir
2021-03-23, 04:40 PM
Who knows, maybe Alyndra knows something about the place… [roll0]

DeTess
2021-04-04, 09:28 AM
perception: [roll0]

DeTess
2021-04-04, 09:32 AM
Intelligence check (+ half perception bonus) [roll0]

Imladir
2021-04-04, 10:50 AM
Not much chances I'm going to do any better than Elva, but... Well... Since it's been asked: [roll0]

With the +4 bonus that's a 32, so it is actually better :D

Imladir
2021-04-04, 10:56 AM
Next one: [roll0]

Imladir
2021-04-28, 02:04 PM
As requested: [roll0]

Imladir
2021-05-22, 12:39 PM
I don't like fort saves...

[roll0]

DeTess
2021-05-22, 12:43 PM
Me neither...
[roll0]

sarlon
2021-05-22, 08:20 PM
rolling fort for Tygerwolf (hes having a dead computer issue):

[roll0]

sarlon
2021-05-22, 08:21 PM
fort for orc as well

[roll0]

......you know....considering he was getting violently sea sick, he nailed the crap out of that fort save!

Rakpappa
2021-06-10, 12:59 PM
Hello all!!

My name is Todd and I will be joining your merry band and taking over the roll of your Orc Cleric.

A bit of background for me: I've been gaming in some way shape or fashion since I was 11. (I'm 47 now) I love the idea of character interaction, roleplay and developing and helping the Storyteller run a lasting and memorable game. I've both run and played games and love doing both, but when a chance arose for me to be an active member in a group, it was a no brainer for me to raise my hand and join. I'm looking forward to gaming with the group, I've enjoyed the threads so far.

On a side note: If there is something that my character says or does that upsets you or makes you mad, please address it to me. I'm not the "my character would just do that" type of guy, I like unity and cohesion in a party and not creating rifts or drama. I do not go out of my way to piss off players, but sometimes characters might get angry or upset at each other. I ask that you realize that its character to character and not person to person.

If there's questions just ask, I'm pretty laid back and easy going type of fella...In the words of the Great Lebowski....I abide.

sarlon
2021-06-10, 01:01 PM
Don't worry guys I do approve the new guy. I found him wandering around the internet and grabbed him up.

Imladir
2021-06-11, 04:05 AM
Welcome o/

DeTess
2021-08-27, 02:13 AM
Sense motive: [roll0]

Imladir
2021-09-01, 12:52 PM
Well, Sense Motive isn't really our strong point…

[roll0]

Tyg3rW01f
2021-10-09, 08:19 AM
does anyone have MAGIC FANG, and if so, could they consider casting it on Josiah when next we are in combat?
I ask because of the following to help get Josiah up to more CANNON than glass...

https://rpgbot.net/dnd35/characters/classes/monk/
Magic Fang(PHB): 750gp gets you 50 hours of +1 hands, which may be enough to get you by until you can afford to permanently enhance your hands. Of course, you still need a caster who can use it, but Magic Fang is on nearly every full caster’s spell list.

Greater Magic Fang(PHB): Because Monks can’t actually enhance their hands, permanent Natural Weapon is the best that a Monk can hope for. 8650gp can get you a permanent +5 to attacks/damage, assuming that your DM allows you to hire a 20th-level caster to help enhance your hands (550 for permanency from 11th-level caster + 7500 for xp cost + 600 for a 20th-level cast to cast Greater Magic Fang). If you can’t afford 8650gp, pick up a wand of Magic Fang for 820gp until you can. If your DM won’t allow you to hire a 20th-level caster (very reasonable), have a caster in your party keep Greater Magic Fang prepared for you every day, and buy them a Pearl of Power to help replace the spell slot.

Imladir
2021-10-09, 03:27 PM
Not on my spell list.

DeTess
2021-10-14, 09:44 AM
int roll+3: [roll0]

Tyg3rW01f
2021-12-13, 10:01 PM
Guys I thought it was EVENING... NOT morning...???

Thundor
2022-02-09, 01:08 PM
Default Re: War of Shadows (IC)
[Not Thundor speaking] So I'm the new guy and you guys don't know me... allow me to introduce myself and my character, since it appears that the play is going in an unintended direction. My name is Sid and I have been playing a couple live games in first edition, but I havent played much in any other edition so I decided to give 3.5 a shot. I met (Sarlon) and she invited me to play in this game. I am new to this type of gameplay but fell in love with the idea of being more descriptive and having time to plan/play in a more thoughtful manner, so I rolled my dwarf fighter. (Sarlon) gave me a basic background so I imagined how a dwarf fighter with a background in nobility might act, and came up with this: he would be a bit pompous and he would spout off about his heritage and would consider his race to be "superior" to the others (especially humans), BUT that would just be a front: in reality he would be a good-natured pc and would be receptive to other characters and races and try to work together with a group. Role playing this type of character in this setting is challenging since you can not see or hear my pc as he speaks or acts... so with the pomp and show I attempted to show certain sides of him: he tried to have a stare-down but broke it himself; he seemed confrontational but never directly insulted any player on a personal level; he recognized that he was coming off in a pompous way and wanted to show with his actions that his mouth was not in sinc with how he really felt, so he looked at Elva the way he did and after his head-butt with Tordic he 1) purposely had a non-physical contest (stare-down) which he lost 2) offered an appology (without verbally appologizing since that would not fit his nobility rp) by admitting that maybe Orcs aren't really so bad AND by offering something of value (fine dwarven ale) 3) as a fighter he would normally lead a party - thats what fighters do, at least in first edition, but when he realized that doing this may have have accidentally stepped on Tordic's toes he offered to work together by sharing in ale (now) and food and his version of good company (song). Now a character (tygerwolf) who Thundor has never met or had a chance to insult directly (purposely or not) has stepped in and directly insulted Thundor (not dwarves or nobility, Thundor directly). I can see no way to respond to such a personal insult while rp'ing a nobilty type (saving face) other than getting into a fight or leaving the party. This was not the banter I was expecting when my pc was following the above 3 steps, and certainly not from a fourth party member who was not previously involved in the banter. Perhaps Tygerwolf did not notice the olive branches I was offering and only noticed my pompousness? I'm trying to think of a way for Thundor to befriend this new pc who has introduced himself with direct insults while also saving face, but offering an olive branch to someone who he has not directly insulted but who has directly insulted him... I'm struggling here. Any suggestions? If I have come off in the wrong way due to my rp and the fact that you guys dont know me and may have misinterpreted how I was trying to play, that is understandable: I would like to play with you all and get a better feel for this type of play and for 3.5, while rp'ing my pc as rolled, but if you all dislike how I'm playing or want me to play differently just let me know.

DeTess
2022-02-09, 02:00 PM
It might have helped to have had a quick OOC chat about your introduction first. Though I don't mind it, I know a large amount of pompousness can really rub some people the wrong way. For now I'm leaving it to tygerwolf to decide how to continue this though, as he's definitely taken the lead in animosities now.

Tyg3rW01f
2022-02-10, 09:29 AM
SID is VERY WELCOME to play with us.
TygerW01f (aka Jesse)has NO ISSUES with new players, but the character JOSIAH has EVERY issue with pompous nobility as guess who he saw having everything while he was a street-rat before being found by the Order of the Open Palm. Think "p*ssed off(and factually p*ssed ON) and mad about it" when it comes to pomp and circumstance.

Josiah CAN be won over... by DEED. Once Thundor proves himself a good combatant, Josiah will come around.

Currently, just bluster, snarl, and confront him about his own songs of deeds. Yeah, he'll say he has none, but that's largely because he's rightfully ashamed of what he had to do as a street-urchin. Pry just a bit and he'll tell you about it. likely a good method of getting a toe in the door, maybe help me flesh Josiah out a good bit.

Thundor
2022-02-10, 05:51 PM
Oooo tyger... from Dunn? I grew up in Pinebluff, near Aberdeen/Southern Pines/Pinehurst! Do I read right, you are playing a dwarf too?

sarlon
2022-02-10, 05:57 PM
Human monk
Orc barbarian/cleric
Elf wizard
Human rogue type

DeTess
2022-02-19, 08:17 AM
dex check [roll0]

Imladir
2022-02-23, 04:41 PM
Dex check: [roll0]

Imladir
2022-02-23, 04:52 PM
"Wizarding stat" check: [roll0]

Imladir
2022-02-23, 04:55 PM
Second "Wizarding stat" check: [roll0]

DeTess
2022-03-03, 11:59 AM
[roll0] perception

DeTess
2022-05-02, 01:20 PM
perception: [roll0]

Imladir
2023-07-12, 10:24 AM
Will save: [roll0]

Imladir
2023-08-04, 03:23 PM
Rites? 1d20+16

Imladir
2023-08-04, 03:32 PM
Doesn’t like the parenthesis, fine.
[roll0]

Imladir
2023-08-04, 03:34 PM
****** posting rate limit…

[roll0]

sarlon
2023-10-29, 01:44 PM
ok so here's what's going on. I had a player at my tabletop game move halfway across the country, but I loved her character so much I wanted to bring them into this game since both games were effectively playing parallel to each other. They'll make their own introduction when they get some time, and get caught up

Deadcanons
2023-11-02, 07:35 PM
Hello it is me! I am the player!

You can call me Olivia or Deadcanons. My pronouns are they/them. I'm a Pathfinder/5e DM, among other things.

I can't think of what else to say! Looking forward to some roleplaying <: