PDA

View Full Version : Do you need an attack roll to teleport on to a dragon?

SangoProduction
2020-03-14, 06:27 AM
Let's ignore the stupidity of the idea, because if you're doing that, you're probably wanting to be near the dragon anyway.

Is there any contest to whether you land on top of a creature or not? (Assuming you don't flub any d100 checks to determine how far away from your target you end up being, in the case of some of the weaker teleport spells.)

unseenmage
2020-03-14, 07:45 AM
I'm fairly certain relocation magics generally require a stable surface to arrive on.

Is another creature a stable surface? Doubtful.

If they ARE considered an appropriate arrival surface for relocation magic then I would say no, no attack roll required just to move to them.

nedz
2020-03-14, 08:02 AM
By RAW: no — but it would be a reasonable DM call.

A balance check to avoid falling off, is the money roll.

SangoProduction
2020-03-14, 08:35 AM
I'm fairly certain relocation magics generally require a stable surface to arrive on.

If they ARE considered an appropriate arrival surface for relocation magic then I would say no, no attack roll required just to move to them.

Ah. OK. I figured there was a restriction like that.

Calthropstu
2020-03-14, 08:55 AM

Ahhhh, but what if the dragon is IN a stable....

Jay R
2020-03-14, 11:53 AM
If the dragon isn't moving much, I would not require a roll to reach the spot you want; just a Balance Check to stay on. But if she's flying at a reasonable speed, I might require a roll to reach the moving target, followed by a harder Balance Check to stay on. You might need free hands to stay on, too.

This will require a careful judgment call, based on the specific situation. That's why DMs get the big bucks.