PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me flesh out my Character

GuzWaatensen
2020-03-14, 07:00 AM
Hi everybody,

i recently got the opportunity to play in a serpents skull campaign, I haven't been a player in a long time, so I want to take some extra care to flesh out my character concept, and I hope for some advice from you about things I might have missed, or could improve.

The general plan is to build a fairly optimized jack-of-all trades kind of character. I'm the only veteran player in the group, so while I want to build a fairly powerful character simply out of sport, ideally he would mostly not use his power, ideally without the other players noticing that he's holding back. I've already DMed the first adventure of the serpents skull path, so he would have to stay in the background - as least initially - anyway.

Outline:
Basically I have two character ideas that I always wanted to play, that I will merge into this one:

An old School Mundane Item MacGyver, that tries to solve all problems without even rolling dice. But is a competent fighter if push comes to shove and is a competent magic user if things get really bad. So druid has to be in there.
I'm very intrigued by the Spiritualist class, and I would like to role play a character where the phantom is the actual character and the host is just a random vessel it took over.

Important detail: We will not share our Character Sheets with each other, so what I say may character is and what he actually is can be completely separate (though it's quite clear this can only be used to create interesting revelations and maybe story hooks if aligned with the DM, no angsty PCs backstabbing the whole party allowed)

So here's what I have planned until now:

Backstory Synopsis: I intend to have my character be the head of some mysterious monastery, that eventually gets burned to the ground by a burglary gone wrong. The burglar - a cowardly low life - ends up to be the vessel for the spirit of my character, who through sheer will manifests as a phantom after his demise (or maybe he has some unfinished business, that ties into the story of the AP who knows). Of course in this new form he only has a small fraction of his previous powers and slowly regains them over time (neat explanation for Level gains).
The first thing I'm undecided on: Should the relationship with his vessel be symbiotic (e.g. in downtime he might help his vessel become a better person by training him and the vessel understands his ordeal as penance for the deeds he did), or will the vessel be an involuntary part. I kind of prefer solution 1, but number 2 has great RP opportunities if the Phantom ever leaves his host and a terrified stranger stays behind, puzzling the other players (who I don't intend on sharing this part of my backstory with).

Build (To level 3):
We use 20P Point Buy, so I will go with Vanaran (+2 STR, WIS, -2 CHA) and
STR 14 (+2); DEX 14; CON 12; INT 12; WIS 14 (+2); CHA 11 (-2).
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Traits: Reactionary, Magical Knack (Druid)

First Level will be Spiritualist with a Zeal Phantom
Feat: Eschew Materials
Spells known: 0: Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Message, Telekinetic Projectile 1: Mage Armor, Feather Fall

I plan on him having just a quarterstaff, a Sling and no armor and use all the rest of his carrying capacity to load up on mundane adventure gear.

Second Level is Unchained Monk:
Bonus Feat: Deflect Arrows

Third Level is Druid:
Feat: Boon Companion
Animal Companion: Ape
Spells prepared: 0: Create Water, Light, Read Magic 1: Obscuring Mist, Free Slot

I have the spiritualist spell list for the occasional scroll and can have both Mage Armor and CLW Wands + the Druid spell list for versatility. Together with his animal companion they are good supporting brawlers (especially with buffs and Mage Armor). He has decent skills (because of many class skills), a climb speed (+ Skill focus in Acrobatics and Survival) and at-will telekinesis + wild shaping later on. And I will try to stay out of combat as much as possible anyway.

After that It get's more fuzzy, generally I would like to get two more levels of Monk (and eventually a monks robe) and the rest of the levels in druid. Natural spell and shaping focus are must-have feats. Other than that I don't really know.

I have looked at Archetypes and alternate racial traits, but couldn't really find anything worthwhile. Any ideas how to improve the build further? Any ideas of where to take it from here? Any input is appreciated...

Kurald Galain
2020-03-14, 07:14 AM
I'm the only veteran player in the group, so while I want to build a fairly powerful character simply out of sport, ideally he would mostly not use his power, ideally without the other players noticing that he's holding back.

Having three characters on the field (you + phantom + animal) probably isn't the way to do that. Since you appear to be way more optimized than the rest of the group, I'd suggest to focus more on buffing/enhancing your other teammates, instead of being an "I can do everything" party all on your own. $.02

GuzWaatensen
2020-03-14, 09:39 AM
... I'd suggest to focus more on buffing/enhancing your other teammates, instead of being an "I can do everything" party all on your own. $.02

Hmm I didn't intend for the phantom to come out during fights (or at all). But you do have a point, the character concept is focused on self-sufficiency, and maybe that's not the right thing to do. Not the input I was expecting, but valuable input non the less...