PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Swarmkeeper conclave; PHB or Revised Ranger

tontoncho
2020-03-14, 10:20 AM
Im building my first non druid character ever. Going for a short range/melee dual whip wielder swarmkeeper Ranger because of the aesthetics and the flying and the force pushing etc. Its a human(variant) lvl1 feat: dual wielder. lvl 4 defensive duelist maybe. I was using the Revised version and then I found out it lacks the 5th lvl extra attack so now what i need advice on is: Whats better; all the benefits from the Revised Favored enemy and natural explorer OR the extra attack from the original ranger. Also whatever suggestions you may have are welcome. thanks (:

Galithar
2020-03-14, 10:26 AM
Ask about using the Class Feature Variants UA released at the end of last year. I find it superior to the PHB and Revised Ranger (Revised Ranger is overtuned in my opinion). The UA gives you a lot of power without becoming overwhelming. It replaces all of the PHB "useless" abilities with things you might actually want and removes the dependency on the DM to put specific exploration challenges in front of the Ranger for the express purpose of him going X ability lets me ignore that.

Disclaimer I've only played it at low levels and as a DM I ban multiclassing with it. Otherwise it's Favored Foe (replacement for Favored Enemy) is an even more appealing 1 level dip then Hexblade Warlock

Edit: Also Revised Ranger does have Extra Attack. It was just moved into specific subclasses so that others (Beastmaster) could be given a different ability. If your Subclass was not specifically redone for the Revised Ranger ask about adding the extra attack into the subclass like the majority of Revised Ranger subclasses.

tontoncho
2020-03-15, 06:40 PM
Thanks, im gonna use de class variant u mentioned