PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building Doomguy

JNAProductions
2020-03-14, 08:35 PM
Because Doom Eternal is on its way, and gosh darnit, I want to punch demons in the face with a shotgun!

Here's the creation guidelines:

System: D&D 3, 3.5
Experience: 8th level
Wealth: Standard four your level and class
Ability Scores: 4d6b3 o3 65 point buy
Hitpoints/Health: Max

My rolls were:

(4d6b3)[11]
(4d6b3)[17]
(4d6b3)[10]
(4d6b3)[16]
(4d6b3)[11]
(4d6b3)[8]

So probably going point buy. Point buy may be on a 1-to-1 basis, not normal point buy. (Because 75 in normal point buy is crazy.)

Any advice?

Edit: it appears it is 65 point buy, officially.

Blackhawk748
2020-03-14, 09:53 PM
Paladin or Crusader into Hellreaver? Stab all the demons and heal from their pain and fear?

Wonton64
2020-03-14, 09:54 PM
Well, regardless what you select for your base class, you need to go Hellreaver 10, the capstone ability lets you explode the denizens of hell.

Maat Mons
2020-03-15, 01:47 PM
"Doom Eternal is on its way?" Oh! It's the name of a game! For a moment there, I thought you were waxing poetic about current events.

JNAProductions
2020-03-15, 02:02 PM
"Doom Eternal is on its way?" Oh! It's the name of a game! For a moment there, I thought you were waxing poetic about current events.

That made me laugh out loud.

And thanks everyone for the advice!

Malphegor
2020-03-15, 02:52 PM
Hellbred has some good flavour for this with some refluffing. Instead of atoning before death, they made up for any sins they had in life by taking the path of toment against the forces of Hell.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-03-15, 03:41 PM
Dragonborn Warforged, use the Heart aspect for a breath attack. You retain the Construct type and Living Construct subtype along with everything that comes with those per both RAW and Ask Wizards. You may even be able to keep the natural slam attack, depending on how your DM interprets it.

Crusader 5/ Binder 1/ Hellreaver 2 starting out, goal is Crusader 5/ Binder 1/ Hellreaver 5/ Crusader 9+, which gets 9th level maneuvers/stances at 20th. It really hits its stride at level 11 when you get Hellreaver 5. Always bind Naberius for fast ability healing, and keep an odd-numbered stat in Constitution for easy bookkeeping. When you use the Hellreaver 5 ability to recover your divine fury for 2 Con damage, your fast ability healing should restore one point of that on the same turn, taking you from an odd-numbered stat to an even one for one round with no adjustments to your modifier.

Take Adamantine Body, Entangling Exhalation, and Extra Granted Maneuver. Use your breath attack as often as possible to entangle as many opponents as you can. On the rounds between breath attacks use whatever maneuver you've been granted that's most appropriate to the situation. Supplement with swift actions from Hellreaver as needed.

Endarire
2020-03-15, 07:54 PM
What about Artificer so you can blast things with wands and staves?

n00b17
2020-03-16, 06:13 PM
So, I think this is going to vary a lot depending on what aspects of the character you want to capture. Do you want to fight at range and stay mobile, and occasionally charge in to finish off an enemy? Or do you want to go for the vibe of doomguy's fallen brothers, going into battle with more traditional melee weapons? Do you want to focus on stuff that just gives you bonuses to killing demons, do you want to capture the specific gameplay rhythm of moving fast, evading attacks, fighting at mid-range, and occasionally rushing in to finish off a damaged enemy with melee?

I'm going to assume the later, so this will be advice with a switch hitter/skirmisher type
Option 1:
Lion Totem Ferocity Barbarian 1 / Warblade 1 / Scout x
Feats:
Hand crossbow focus
(Optional) Crossbow sniper

Barbarian gives you a rage with bonuses to both str and dex, and lion totem gives you pounce so you can rush in and burn down enemies. The warblade level gives you a selection of neat stuff, but we're mostly here for the ability to apply hand crossbow focus to heavy crossbow (so you can fire it without reloading), for a suitably DOOM weapon. Scout gives you bonus damage for attacking after moving, which will help make up for that fact that we're not full-attacking, but you can also grab a belt of battle and boots of quickness to let you full-attack with skirmish damage.

If you don't care about having a weapon that looks like a gun, you can drop the level of Warblade and get a composite longbow, or instead use returning thrown weapons.

The Viscount
2020-03-17, 12:55 PM
To represent glorykills you can take the death blow feat, which reduces coup de grace to a standard action. If you really want to speed it up, 5 levels of black blood cultist lets you do it as a move action, though the flavor doesn't mesh as well as other classes.

Biggus
2020-03-17, 07:50 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, I assumed exactly the same thing (and it hadn't even occurred to me to Google the words).

Telonius
2020-03-18, 02:44 PM
For any command word items you have, the activation word is either "iddqd" or "idkfa."