PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 homebrew magic help

chrsbrk21
2020-03-14, 10:09 PM
Sorry in advance, this is going to be long, but I want to be as detailed as possible. I'm about 6 months into a 3.5 homebrew campaign. I am a Half-elf cleric of Correlon Larethian. Our party(along with 3 other npc adventuring parties) has been tasked with hunting down 12 Fae queens, 3 for each of the 4 seasons, that have been causing havoc in the world. Causing seasons to change rapidly and randomly, killing members of the ruling families, stuff like that. So far we have managed to kill 2 of them and one of the other parties has killed 1. My party did not like killing the queens. We're all some form of good or at least lawful alignments and it didn't sit well with us killing if there was another option. We were told by an emissary for the ruling families that capturing the queens was impossible for heroes of our experience but we were welcome to try. They emphasized that it would be suicide for us to go into a fight with them without the intention to kill.
We recently we're introduced to a DMPC that has given us some more lore information that apparently we weren't asking the right questions for. She is a magical prodigy who has somehow discovered the truth about music in this homebrew world. ALL the magic stems from the Fae and if we kill them without having someone take their place, all magic is gone. As in no one would be able to do magic anymore. Clerics, wizards, sorcerers all apparently have the same magic. There are no gods. I am a cleric who has just been told that the gods don't exist. I have tried praying to Correlon, I sent DM a message through discord. The prayer was
"Elf-father, I need your guidance. I know I've felt your presence but I need something more. I've devoted my life to your teaching and following your example, I've given all that I am to you. I don't want to believe that you aren't real but I need to know. Are you there?"
I literally got the response back
"New phone, who dis OOC"
I'm so lost with what to do. I have been trying to rp this and I'm just lost. I don't know how to rp this. My character has an intelligence of 15, she's not going to just continue to blindly follow a religion if I've been shown evidence to the contrary. I feel like this also brings up a lot of questions about magic itself. Can I start casting spells outside of my class? Or at the very least outside my domains?
I just need some help, any advice would be appreciated. I do plan on sitting down with my DM about this the next time I'm there playing (I live 1 1/2 hours away so I usually Skype in) but I just want to have all my ducks in a row. Thanks everyone!