PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Theme Song! A Bard-Only spell to inspire your teammates! (PEACH)

VividMatter
2020-03-15, 02:09 AM
I want to throw out the design philosophy I have with this spell really quick, and these are subject to change if need be. Essentially, my goals for the spell are as follows:

The spell should be diverse, good at many things but not better than any spell that focuses on one specific buff, much like a Bard. (Proportional to spell slot used, of course.)
I want it to be flavorful obviously
I want to give Bards something to throw out that doesn't require their concentration, like many other buff spells require
I want to have an excuse to be a DJ in-session
It should be a combat ONLY spell, as funny as playing your Theme Song while the party has a drinking competition is.
Play off the "Protagonist gets much stronger as the Opening Theme plays" trope in popular media.

A fun spell with a multitude of uses before the big battle with the BBEG. Let me know what you think/if you have suggestions for more buff options! The only thing holding me back is trying to figure out the names of the types of music.

Theme Song
5th Level Transmutation
Casting time: 1 Reaction, when Initiative is rolled
Range: 20ft
Duration: Instantaneous
Components: V,M* (*An instrument laden with gold worth at least 100gp)

A spectral band of glistening figures appear in a 10ft cube you designate within 20ft of you and begin playing your party's Theme Song. You can designate up to 10 creatures within 60ft of the band, and then designate the type of music that is played. The creatures gain advantage on their Initiative rolls and receive different benefits depending on what type of music is played. This music can be heard by the designated targets up to 100ft away, and the targets must be able to hear the music to gain the benefits of this spell. These benefits last until the targets exit Initiative, or the Band is dispelled.

Exhilarating: Whenever the creature rolls an Attack Roll or Saving Throw, they can roll a d6 and add it to the roll.
Double Time: The creature's speed is doubled and Opportunity Attacks against the creature have Disadvantage
Soothing: The creature cannot be Charmed or Frightened
Hearty: The creature gains 20 Temporary HP
Rejuvenating: The creature may use its Bonus Action on each of its turns to regain Hit Points equal to 1d4+ Your Spell Casting Modifier
Harmonic: The Creature may use its Bonus Action on each of its turns to use the Help Action
Inspirational: The creature gains a +2 bonus to its AC
Freeing: The creature becomes immune to the Grappled and Restrained conditions.
Striking: The creature deals an additional 1d4 Force damage when it deals damage with a weapon attack.
When you cast this spell at 7th level, you may choose 2 types of music. When cast at 9th level, you may choose 3 types of music. This is represented by the types mixing together and melding into one symphony.

I want to make sure the benefits don't persist out of combat or extend into different combats than the one the spell was used at the start of, and I think the current restriction limits that well, but I may be overlooking something. I also wanted to give counterplay in the form of Silence, deafening spells, etc. What good is a Theme Song if no one can hear it?

Feel free to give honest criticism! I'm running this over with the DM I'm working with, but we both wanted to hear your feedback!