PDA

View Full Version : So, Battlemaster 11 Gloomstalker 3...now what?

1Pirate
2020-03-15, 04:06 AM
Not too long ago I sought the Playground’s advice on dips for a level 10-going-on-14 Battlemaster range build in a 1-shot turned 3-shot. I went with another level of fighter and Ranger 3(Gloomstalker) Now it’s going to be a 4-shot with rumblings of a mini-campaign going to 20.

Wood Elf Fighter BM 10/ GS 3, Urchin background

Str 11

Dex 20

Con 16

Int 9

Wis 14

Cha 13

Feats: Elven Accuracy, Sharpshooter(I got Wood Elf magic as a free feat initially, but the DM switched it into Pass w/o Trace 1/long rest)

Skills: Stealth, Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Perception, Survival.

DM seems to be bumping us 2 levels per session. Based on gameplay, I’m leaning away from just piling on more DPS and want to pick up a little more utility. So my questions are:

1. How would you build if you were going to 20?
2. How would you build if you were stopping at 16?(with a contingency for 18)

Dork_Forge
2020-03-15, 05:59 AM
Unless you've got a magical weapon you're attached to I'd go the crossbow expert route for more DPS, hit Ranger 4 and Fighter 12 for the ASIs. Are you limited to official content? The Blood Hunter would add a d4 to all your attacks for a two level dip.

Skylivedk
2020-03-15, 05:59 AM
Same as mentioned in your original thread:
Add either:

1 level ftr and 1 ranger for the ASIs. Maybe take something more fun than Xbox expert...

Kensei monk:
- 1d4 to all attacks' damage
- Step of the wind
- patient defense
- movement speed
- close quarters capability without dropping your bow

Or

(War) cleric:
- range of nice spells. Both utility (guidance) and combat (healing word, bless, sanctuary)

If war
- bonus attack
- bonus to hit

Or

scout rogue:
- skills
- skirmish
- bonus action fulfillment

Hexblade:
- short rest spells for utility and/or combat
- invocations for the same
- massive damage bonus
You can pick another patron for flavour (great old one seemingly the best option). If you want ranged smites as a mini capstone you need 5 levels and pact of the blade. Otherwise, the two other pacts are way more fun.

Even druid could be fun. 3 levels get you pass without trace and done nifty spirits of you go shepherd (especially hawk and unicorn) plus some utility animal shapes.

I wouldn't recommend more ranger after giving it a second think: you can get most of the benefits other ways that also have other plusses.

Bard, I won't recommend because of your charisma score being too low which means you will only have one bardic inspiration die

Divine Soul Sorcerer can work as well for the buffs and the Favoured by the Gods ability. I'd probably prefer cleric, but YMMV.

iTreeby
2020-03-15, 09:33 AM
I'd go rogue2 for the mask of the wild/pass without trace/cunning action hide combo. After that if you've been getting suprise regularly, I'd take assassin for the super nova first round action surge apocalypse.

The problem is you said you want Utility and rogue is just damage, positioning and expertise.

Utility makes me say... Fey pact warlock? That gets you farie fire, a charm effect, two invocations (devils sight and...utility? Silent image?) as another spell(protection from good and evil) that recharges on short rests.

At the same time, you need to weigh the value of passing up a feat and indomitable. If you pick lucky, it makes you better at basically anything and the reroll on saves. Not being hampered by failing a save is a kind of utility in a sense.

djreynolds
2020-03-15, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=Skylivedk;24400546]Same as mentioned in your original thread:
Add either:

1 level ftr and 1 ranger for the ASIs. Maybe take something more fun than Xbox expert...

Kensei monk:
- 1d4 to all attacks' damage
- Step of the wind
- patient defense
- movement speed
- close quarters capability without dropping your bow

Or

(War) cleric:
- range of nice spells. Both utility (guidance) and combat (healing word, bless, sanctuary)

If war
- bonus attack
- bonus to hit

Or

scout rogue:
- skills
- skirmish
- bonus action fulfillment

Hexblade:
- short rest spells for utility and/or combat
- invocations for the same
- massive damage bonus
You can pick another patron for flavour (great old one seemingly the best option). If you want ranged smites as a mini capstone you need 5 levels and pact of the blade. Otherwise, the two other pacts are way more fun.

QUOTE]

Excellent

This is all good, you a have a 20 in dex, SS and EA....

you could just cherry pick, devils sight and darkness... for advantage

Guided strike... +10 to hit once a short rest

You have 3 attacks, if using the new class variant ranger you get a free hunter's mark wisdom modifier a day

Nice thing about CBE is you can use your longbow in melee

Though 7 levels of GM gets you iron will, you may want resilient wisdom now or even the lucky feat

Rogue is nice for cunning action

Vogie
2020-03-15, 10:26 AM
I'd actually dip 3 levels into Warlock, pact of the tome specifically. You'll get a ton of cantrips from across the classes, be able to generate free advantage using the Darkness/Devil's Sight Combo, and Book of Ancient Secrets allows you to collect level 1 & 2 rituals from any class.

Dipping into Rogue is always useful - not only because of the added damage of sneak attack, but it allows a huge flexibility with your bonus action(s), and you pick up expertise in 2 skills or tools.

CTurbo
2020-03-15, 11:12 AM
I would go Rogue probably Scout, but Assassin is great too with the Gloom Stalker levels.

MercCpt
2020-03-15, 11:25 AM
I would like to suggest going druid for 2 levels for either spoors or Shepherd circles of course you don't have to do this because it's just a silly idea but my theory is you'll have more magic this way and much more spells to choose from being a little more versatile.

You can also choose Cleric but I feel like this doesn't suit the character.

Rouge will give you more dmg.

Monk might be useful depending on what you pick for it i would pick way of kensei help with your weapon attacks

Barb for dmg, health and stuff but feels wrong with a range build like you have

you could be more mobile as in getting the feat mobile or skilled as in the feat skilled not that great tho.