PDA

View Full Version : Changing shop gaming site, Cleric class thoughts

ZorroGames
2020-03-15, 02:57 PM
So Real Life has pushed my gaming night to another night (along with selling second car to a younger family friend in Illinois that had vehicle totaled.)

This will definitely be a non-AL game/campaign but I will not know details until I show up and get assigned to a group for first session.

So, help me refresh what I need to think about for a PC Cleric.

My current thoughts are either Variant Human or
Hill Dwarf.

If MC and feats allowed a VHuman would choose warcaster at level 1.

Possible subclasses would be Trickery, maybe Death if allowed, or possibly Arcana.

Giving some thought to dip Rogue to go along with Trickery Cleric possibly if allowed.

ImproperJustice
2020-03-15, 03:07 PM
Clerics aren’t healers.

You are a conduit for divine energy. Apply directly to problems.

Clerics are best at status effect removal, up to and including death.
0hp is a status effect best remedied w/ healing word vs. trying to blow all your slots “healing people”.

Cleric Rituals like Augery and especially Commune can help avoid entirely wasteful and unnecessary courses of action and should be used frequently and often.

Great Spells to prioritize:
Healing Word, Bless, Sanctuary
Aid, Augery, Spiritual Weapon, Gentle Repose
Spirit Guardians, Revivify, Sending
Death Ward, Banishment
Commune, Raise Dead, Greater Restoration
Heroes Feast, Heroes Feast and Heroes Feast

Honorable Mentions:
Protection From Good/Evil, Detect Magic, Locate Object, Zone of Truth, Mass Healing Word

Zetakya
2020-03-15, 03:27 PM
Beware MADness. Clerics have a lot of ways you can take them (which is good!) but this means that unless you decide quite early what you're focusing on, you'll end up pulled in too many directions.

You have to be quite ruthless in cutting certain options from the characters personal style if you're going to make it work.

Take, for example, the SCAGtrips availability for Arcana Clerics. These are often seen as "go to" Cantrips, but they require an effective melee attack stat to be worthwhile taking, and you have to make that decision really early. Coupled with Arcana being one of the Domains that doesn't have Heavy Armour Proficiency to allow you to dump DEX, you end up with either impaired use of the Cantrips, lower casting stats, a feat or multi-classing for Heavy Armour, or a DEX/finesse Build - which choice you have to decide on a character creation.

Or you can cut the SCAGtrips and go ranged blaster.

ZorroGames
2020-03-15, 07:54 PM
Beware MADness. Clerics have a lot of ways you can take them (which is good!) but this means that unless you decide quite early what you're focusing on, you'll end up pulled in too many directions.

You have to be quite ruthless in cutting certain options from the characters personal style if you're going to make it work.

Take, for example, the SCAGtrips availability for Arcana Clerics. These are often seen as "go to" Cantrips, but they require an effective melee attack stat to be worthwhile taking, and you have to make that decision really early. Coupled with Arcana being one of the Domains that doesn't have Heavy Armour Proficiency to allow you to dump DEX, you end up with either impaired use of the Cantrips, lower casting stats, a feat or multi-classing for Heavy Armour, or a DEX/finesse Build - which choice you have to decide on a character creation.

Or you can cut the SCAGtrips and go ranged blaster.

Think I will go ranged attacks/Cantrips/ ranged spells route.

Christew
2020-03-15, 08:34 PM
Max WIS, take Resilient (Con) and/or Warcaster, wreck infidels with Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians, and your preferred action (dodge, melee attack, or cantrip).

Arcana, Death, and Light are all great for ranged cantrip/spell work.

Chugger
2020-03-16, 08:04 PM
Clerics can deal consistent good damage - they can heal and res and buff and so on and should when appropriate - but for goodness sakes focus on dealing damage, too.

Rnd one spirit guardians. Rnd two b.a. cast spir weapon and use action to toll the dead.

Spir G does 3d8 each round to all enemies in 15' - doesn't hurt allies - and is difficult terrain only to enemies. It goes off automatically on enemies' turns as long as you concentrate on it (resil wis or warcaster). Spir weapon is 1d8 + wis, and toll the dead is 2d12 from lvl 5 to lvl 10. That's a lot of damage.

A light cleric is very versatile and can nuke - or heal. Mine for TOA was a va hu w/ healer feat, which was very strong in this hard campaign. Some rounds 2 allies went down to zero health. I'd b.a. cast healing word on the one at range - then use my action to use the kit and feat on the one I could reach - boom - two allies brought back to positive health in one turn. Then next turn I'd fireball or something. A very powerful often overlooked cleric class.

Va Hu and warcaster or resil con is very strong for cleric, yes.