PDA

View Full Version : Alter Self: What can/can't it do?

Akennedy
2007-10-23, 06:00 AM
Hello everyone... I'm currently playing a transmuter wizard in a current campaign and just attained 2nd level spells and chose Alter Self as a spell known. I read the spell description over and over but I still don't know what sort of limits the spell can do. Is it a polymorph to 5hd? Can it increase ability stats? Can i increase a size catagory? Also, if it's too powerful, how has your groups made it a more balanced spell? Thank you all very much!

Solo
2007-10-23, 06:14 AM
Here you go (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176246)

Ogh_the_Second
2007-10-23, 06:36 AM
Although Solo's link may be helpful, it does not really explain the basics.

Assuming that your transmuter is a medium-sized humanoid, (s)he can change into any form that conforms to the following criteria:
- it is humanoid
- it has no more HD than your caster lvl, with a max of 5
- it is small, medium or large

Of course, your character must be familiar with a form to change into that form, but that is quite DM-dependent.

And then, you get the listed benefits for that form:

size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth).

Nothing else, so no changes to your ability scores.

Our group did not see any problem with the spell. However, maybe the spell becomes much more powerful if the caster is not a medium humanoid.

Edit: so - to be clear - the caster has to change into an actually existing race; no winged fanged scaled humanoid monster of destruction of one's own device.

Bender
2007-10-23, 06:53 AM
Our group did not see any problem with the spell. However, maybe the spell becomes much more powerful if the caster is not a medium humanoid.

If you are an aberration or an outsider, you have lots of very nice possibilities, especially for fly, swim or burrow speeds. I guess it can be broken that way, because you can gain the ability to fly much longer than with the fly spell at lower level. The Xorn with burrowing speed could be even worse.
Note that it doesn't give special abilities:

You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth.

Armads
2007-10-23, 07:04 AM
Amazingly, if you're undead (like a necropolitan), you can turn into a shadow.

Solo
2007-10-23, 08:24 AM
Amazingly, if you're undead (like a necropolitan), you can turn into a shadow.

And thereby know what evil lurks in the hearts of men.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-23, 08:32 AM
No, that's a supernatural power... you don't get those.

Starbuck_II
2007-10-23, 10:36 AM
In general (unless Outsider or somrthing):
It just gives weak Flight (the Avoreal/Winged Elves?/Raptorians)
Narural armor
Natural attacks
Climb/Swim speed
Size and Disguise (+10 to roll to make sure they can't tell your not that thing).

Quietus
2007-10-23, 11:04 AM
In general (unless Outsider or somrthing):
It just gives weak Flight (the Avoreal/Winged Elves?/Raptorians)
Narural armor
Natural attacks
Climb/Swim speed
Size and Disguise (+10 to roll to make sure they can't tell your not that thing).

I believe Avoreals ARE the winged elves. And you can also get Burrow speeds.

valadil
2007-10-23, 11:37 AM
You really should talk to your GM on this one. As written the spell is crazy powerful. If I were GMing it I'd require the player have some background knowledge of what they were shifting into. Just because Races of Air came out last week doesn't mean you can shift into the new half human/half air elemental that flies and is incorporeal. Your character needs a reason (or knowledge check) to know something exists. Beyond that I probably wouldn't even allow flying on the basis that this 2nd level spell shouldn't give an ability you get from a 3rd level spell. (Although this would depend on the campaign world. If we already had a raptoran or some other flying race in the party, giving another player the ability seems okay, and they'd have an excuse for knowing about raptorans.)

jameswilliamogle
2007-10-23, 12:02 PM
There's a whole list of useful forms. Mainly, you take it as a Wizard for the movement possibilities, but if you are melee focused there's a few forms that are really good (Troglodyte for +6 Natural Armor, and natural attacks). Some people play Star Elves and Elans just for the outsider choices (there's a low-HD outsider dwarf w/ +18 natural armor). Just boost your Knowledge: Planes and let your rolls determine if you are familiar w/ the creature :).

You can get some pretty big boosts and be half-way competent in battle even as a Wizard at low level using this: Alter Self: Troglodyte, Enlarge Person, False Life, Blur, Mage Armor, Shield... Granted, that's a lot of self-buffing, but you get 3 attacks per round w/ natural weapons, they do more damage, you got at least a 23 AC, and it lasts for minutes per level... Just have the Rogue go in ahead of time stealthily (give him Invisibility) and disable all the traps, and just run room to room.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-10-23, 12:11 PM

And when you're lonely, just send a telepathic shout out to 'MARGO LANE!!'.

Lizardfolk is another decent option: +5 natural armor and 2 claws and bite attack.

Chronos
2007-10-23, 03:00 PM
Really, this spell was already impressively powerful in 3.0 (disguises and movement forms), and then they went and added natural armor and attacks in 3.5, and were suddenly surprised that it was broken.

13_CBS
2007-11-07, 01:26 AM

Excellent Heart of Darkness reference, sir.

Temp
2007-11-07, 01:33 AM
Excellent Heart of Darkness reference, sir.
I think that was more a "The Shadow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow)" allusion.

...Unless I just never realized that was a Heart of Darkness reference.

Doresain
2007-11-07, 02:01 AM
i suddenly have a new favorite spell