PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dumb Artificers still work by RAW, right?

WRoosterdf
2020-03-15, 11:15 PM
I've been reading and rereading the Artificer class and nowhere does it say that a 3-9 Int Artificer can't make magic items. Yes, it's implied that they create them with infusions, but even if say an Ogre Artificer is too dumb to use their infusion class ability, that doesn't prevent them from making UMD checks.

Therefore, primitive and dumb artificers both works as NPC's and PC choices. Yes, a PC like that is sub-optimal, but one of my earliest characters when I was a tween that didn't know what he was doing was a Dwarf Paladin that had too low Wisdom score to cast any spells and I had fun playing him.

Hell, this even makes for an amusing roleplaying opportunity. Let's say an Ogre Artificer supplies their tribe with +2 Wooden Greatclubs and such.

2020-03-16, 12:28 AM
I've been reading and rereading the Artificer class and nowhere does it say that a 3-9 Int Artificer can't make magic items. Yes, it's implied that they create them with infusions, but even if say an Ogre Artificer is too dumb to use their infusion class ability, that doesn't prevent them from making UMD checks.

Therefore, primitive and dumb artificers both works as NPC's and PC choices. Yes, a PC like that is sub-optimal, but one of my earliest characters when I was a tween that didn't know what he was doing was a Dwarf Paladin that had too low Wisdom score to cast any spells and I had fun playing him.

Hell, this even makes for an amusing roleplaying opportunity. Let's say an Ogre Artificer supplies their tribe with +2 Wooden Greatclubs and such.

I'm not aware of anybody saying otherwise. In fact, infusions explicitly have nothing to do with permanent item creation:

An artificer's infusions do not meet spell prerequisites for creating magic items. For example, an artificer must still employ the Use Magic Device skill to emulate the light spell to create a wand of light, even though light appears on his infusion list.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-03-16, 04:20 AM
It's not ideal, certainly, but you're technically correct.

That said, I'd be more than a bit leary of playing an artificer that can't perform infusions. There's a -lot- of power there that seems to get overlooked in favor of the item creation options. Good WBLmancy is a powerful tool for all classes. Artificer's just the best at it for the obvious reason.

*chants to self* "do not go into multi-paragraph rant about how this is the -ONE- place that the community puts any thought at all to gear."