PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 stone form feat

jdizzlean
2020-03-16, 02:30 AM
stone form (RoS) let's you wild shape into Stony or rocky forms, and gives you a few bonuses otherwise. however it doesn't list forms you get access to. do you simply become a Stony version of an animal, or does it open up things like earth elementals or earth subtype creatures?

noce
2020-03-16, 02:52 AM
To my understanding (and ruling of my group), you become a stony version of yourself, maintaining functional equipment, the capability of using weapons and the ability to cast spells without Natural Spell.

liquidformat
2020-03-16, 07:32 AM
To my understanding (and ruling of my group), you become a stony version of yourself, maintaining functional equipment, the capability of using weapons and the ability to cast spells without Natural Spell.

Yeah this is my understanding too, you are just stony you

tiercel
2020-03-18, 12:36 AM
As far as I understand, you can use Stone Form while in your base/natural form, or while already wildshaped; in the former case, you are stony-you, in the latter case, you are a stony animal/whatever form. (Not sure how that works if you are a wildshaped Stone Form air elemental -- now you're more of a dust devil or something?)

I always thought the [Wild] feats were potentially more interesting for the Wildshape Ranger variant, if you just want an upgrade to your base form (and given that Ranger wildshaping is more limited than that of Druids, sans Master of Many Forms)....

eggynack
2020-03-18, 12:46 AM
As far as I understand, you can use Stone Form while in your base/natural form, or while already wildshaped; in the former case, you are stony-you, in the latter case, you are a stony animal/whatever form. (Not sure how that works if you are a wildshaped Stone Form air elemental -- now you're more of a dust devil or something?)
It's written kinda ambiguously. In a vacuum you'd expect such a feat to allow for that kinda combination, but the fact that the feat repeatedly describes you assuming a form, something perhaps distinct from the other forms you assume, rather than you applying these modifications, implies otherwise. Weird feat.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-18, 12:51 AM
It's written kinda ambiguously. In a vacuum you'd expect such a feat to allow for that kinda combination, but the fact that the feat repeatedly describes you assuming a form, something perhaps distinct from the other forms you assume, rather than you applying these modifications, implies otherwise. Weird feat.Also not a very good one. If you have better stats than what the feat gives you (as most wild shape forms do), it's very much a distinct downgrade and a waste of a feat.

tiercel
2020-03-18, 03:00 AM
Also not a very good one. If you have better stats than what the feat gives you (as most wild shape forms do), it's very much a distinct downgrade and a waste of a feat.

It was the potential-downgrade wording that made me think that you could combo it (if... not necessarily very well) with an existing Wild Shape:

Your natural armor bonus becomes +4 (replacing any natural armor bonus you normally have, though you retain any enhancement bonus to natural armor).

Because the book specifically calls out replacing existing natural armor.... yeah. (You’d still gain a slam attack on top of your existing natural attack routine, and the buff to saves vs poison.... but yeah.). Certainly a contributing factor to thinking “might be alright for a straight Wildshape Ranger, as a straight long-duration AC buff that stacks with barkskin or similar”.

jdizzlean
2020-03-18, 03:15 AM
It's written kinda ambiguously. In a vacuum you'd expect such a feat to allow for that kinda combination, but the fact that the feat repeatedly describes you assuming a form, something perhaps distinct from the other forms you assume, rather than you applying these modifications, implies otherwise. Weird feat.
that was my thought, but it doesn't expand on it, hence the confusion

Also not a very good one. If you have better stats than what the feat gives you (as most wild shape forms do), it's very much a distinct downgrade and a waste of a feat.
I'm using it on ws ranger, but to qualify for o think stonespeaker guardian. guess it comes down to what does the dm say. I'd be happy with a stony me, and the stats are a strict upgrade anyways. maybe not as awesome as further ws forms, but sufficient for my purposes

noce
2020-03-18, 05:15 AM
I'm using it on an Earth Dwarf Druid / Stonespeaker Guardian (DM said I'm rocky enough to enter the PrC).
I took heavy armor and Goliath Greathammer proficiencies, and a couple of Natural Bond feats to make up for the PrC not advancing animal.

I must say, it's an enjoyable character, played à la melee cleric. A good way to re-balance a druid.